Is The Sith Inquisitor Story Line Mary Sue?

Halinmonk

Me and a friend have deiced to level our two Imperial toons together, her Sith Warrior and my Sith Inquisitor, and we had just passed the part where you speak to

Lord Kaliag for the first time and it's revealed that he is your ancestor X times removed

, she expressed doubts that the SI seems a bit Mary Sueish for it. Now:

I don't consider you being Lord Kalig's descendent that mary sueish but I'm a bit spoiled so I am also aware that the SI ends up being a member of the Dark Council so began to question how much truth there is to the statement. Dose it seems that way to anyone else?

In my opinion I don't think the SI is much of a mary sue(maybe at various points but not much) if you play the whole story nothing goes right for the SI and you spend the whole of act 3 fixing the mistakes.

Heck the SI cannot even make a padawn fall to the dark side. Yet the so called "brute" the sith warrior can manipulate jedi masters, jedi knights and a padawan and cause them to fall to the dark side yet the so called class that is meant to be a manipulator never does these kinds of things. The SI comes down to artifact hunter, ghost hunter then ghost buster. The sith warrior is about you being awesome and ****** and stomping everyone in your way and everyone else telling you how amazing and scary you are the story is awesome though

After getting a sith warrior and a SI to level 50 I say that SW is more of a mary sue imo. Considering the things that happen in the sith warrior story.

Edited by lokdron

In my opinion I don't think the SI is much of a mary sue(maybe at various points but not much) if you play the whole story nothing goes right for the SI and you spend the whole of act 3 fixing the mistakes.

Heck the SI cannot even make a padawn fall to the dark side. Yet the so called "brute" the sith warrior can manipulate jedi masters, jedi knights and a padawan and cause them to fall to the dark side yet the so called class that is meant to be a manipulator never does these kinds of things. The SI comes down to artifact hunter, ghost hunter then ghost buster. The sith warrior is about you being awesome and ****** and stomping everyone in your way and everyone else telling you how amazing and scary you are the story is awesome though

After getting a sith warrior and a SI to level 50 I say that SW is more of a mary sue imo. Considering the things that happen in the sith warrior story.

Ive got both also and there really are times when I felt the Warrior story should've been the Inquisitor story. There seemed to be a disconnect somewhere with the Inquisitor and who he was supposed to be modeled after. I love the play style of my Sin, but the story for my Jugg really was top rate.

Ive got both also and there really are times when I felt the Warrior story should've been the Inquisitor story. There seemed to be a disconnect somewhere with the Inquisitor and who he was supposed to be modeled after. I love the play style of my Sin, but the story for my Jugg really was top rate.

Oh there is many times when playing the sith warrior story were i thought to myself this is how the SI story should of been the sith warrior story has more sith political intrigue than the SI.

Edited by lokdron

The Sith Inquisitor starts out as a slave and struggles desperately to survive right from the beginning, so I don't see the character as a Mary Sue at all. The Sith Warrior is the perfect, aristocratic hero from a proud Sith lineage thrust into greatness who's a much more classical hero than the SI character could ever be. Edited by jgelling

No more than any of the other class. All have humble origins and achieve greatness. And all are purposely touted as unique and gifted individuals in order to make this make sense.

Well that's the thing with the Warrior story, it is alluded too early on that you come from a family of some significant stature in the Empire. So while the Inquisitor goes into its lineage a bit later you just don't get that same feeling that the Warrior's line exuded. Its kinda hard to explain unless you've played through if not at least seen the story through by grouping with them. And especially by the third chapter the Warriors story is so intriguing that you almost can't put it into words.

Oddly enough I had this very conversation the other day with someone who is new to the game, and as I was grouping with him trying to show him the ropes some he was asking me about the story differences between the SW and SI as I had just recently started running on that PvP server from my main PvE server.

You know having a discussion of whether a character is a Mary Sue or not is kind of hard when every single person seems to have a slightly different internal definition. That aside, here is my personal opinion. :p

I really don't think that the SI qualifies as a Mary Sue because the aspect that really makes a Mary Sue a mary Sue to me is that impossibly perfect aspect. The SI is certainly not perfect. There are things that go horribly wrong for him as part of the storyline and I would hardly consider the SI to be perfect.

....However I do think the NPCs end up treating the SI as impossibly perfect at times which makes no sense to me because the SI comes off more as a fool that can't do anything right and not as a perfect Sith that people would be flocking to follow. Then again I had a lot of issues with the SI storyline so my perception might be jaded and not really that accurate. *shrug*

You know having a discussion of whether a character is a Mary Sue or not is kind of hard when every single person seems to have a slightly different internal definition. That aside, here is my personal opinion. :p

I really don't think that the SI qualifies as a Mary Sue because the aspect that really makes a Mary Sue a mary Sue to me is that impossibly perfect aspect. The SI is certainly not perfect. There are things that go horribly wrong for him as part of the storyline and I would hardly consider the SI to be perfect.

....However I do think the NPCs end up treating the SI as impossibly perfect at times which makes no sense to me because the SI comes off more as a fool that can't do anything right and not as a perfect Sith that people would be flocking to follow. Then again I had a lot of issues with the SI storyline so my perception might be jaded and not really that accurate. *shrug*

Considering what you do and to who and why, the SIn is a chaotic wrecking ball of destruction that nobody really wants to have aimed towards them. Act 3 is really about focusing this and has the character stop being so short-sighted as they mature into an actual Sith and you're able to use this to finally -ultra spoiler-. In fact the ending would have been magnificent... if it ended at Corellia.

Yah, people were expecting high intrigue and got a coming of age revenge tale.

edit- but if you really want a Mary Sue, roll a Jedi. Either one works.

Edited by MCerberus

No more than any of the other class. All have humble origins and achieve greatness. And all are purposely touted as unique and gifted individuals in order to make this make sense.

Not as much for the agent, who is just someone who is good at their job and happened to be in the right/wrong (depending on your perspective) place at the right/wrong time, and everything kind of follows from that. It's my favorite thing about the agent story.

Not as much for the agent, who is just someone who is good at their job and happened to be in the right/wrong (depending on your perspective) place at the right/wrong time, and everything kind of follows from that. It's my favorite thing about the agent story.

I actually just restarted an Agent today. I started it rerolled, started it rerolled, started it got it to 33 rerolled, and now today as I fired it up again after some time its almost like I'm starting over fresh. But I get the impression that the Agent is a fresh out of training probi who marked high but still needs to prove his worth.

I actually just restarted an Agent today. I started it rerolled, started it rerolled, started it got it to 33 rerolled, and now today as I fired it up again after some time its almost like I'm starting over fresh. But I get the impression that the Agent is a fresh out of training probi who marked high but still needs to prove his worth.

The point of being in the right place at the right time really happens before you have had a chance to prove that you are in fact really good at your job.

That point being when Jadus comes sniffing around looking for an operative to subvert. Not so lucky for him perhaps that you do turn out to be quite good at what you do.

People need to quit complaing about mary sues. i know it's "in" right now to do so, but really...it's getting old.

Any time you see a character, ANYONE, who rubs you the wrong way, just tell yourself "Well that's how this person is."

if anything, the sith inquisitor is portrayed as the least powerful of any of the force using classes.

he's gotta cheat to win when any other force class would just have a fair fight.

i mean nothing you do in act one is all that impressive, beating a darth by cheating and taking advantage of his cybernetics. beating a lord on nar shaddaa, and a jedi on alderaan? nothing really huge, mary sue level. sure he has the heritage of a sith lord but thats nothing super important.

act 2 is all about showing that you ARENT powerful enough to challenge thanaton so you have to CHEAT by using ghosts power against thanaton. and that even backfires on you. not exactly mary sue status there.

so no, the inquisitor isn't a mary sue at all. he's the weakest of the force classes (at least i'd assume so as the rest are portrayed as ultra ******es that never need to artificially augment their power with ghosts and such) he's an underdog who keeps getting in over his head.

Considering what you do and to who and why, the SIn is a chaotic wrecking ball of destruction that nobody really wants to have aimed towards them. Act 3 is really about focusing this and has the character stop being so short-sighted as they mature into an actual Sith and you're able to use this to finally -ultra spoiler-. In fact the ending would have been magnificent... if it ended at Corellia.

Yah, people were expecting high intrigue and got a coming of age revenge tale.

I really don't remember seeing the SI's perspective change at all during Chapter 3. I recall a Moff practically begging to become the SI's pet, Zash and Ashara doing research, SI blowing stuff up, SI being handed a doomsday weapon, then the SI possibly losing the battle of Corellia for the Empire(well I guess Thanaton is more to blame for being a moron but w/e), and then the SI is rewarded with a seat on the Dark Council.

And if anyone is curious, I dug around Tropes(managed to get out of there in half an hour!) and I think Anti-Sue describes my feelings of the SI storyline(well after the prologue finishes up).

Edit:

That Kalig ghost doesn't have 2 tails on his head and my character is a Twi'lek.

Put his helmet on(you eventually get it) and see how many tails you have.

Edited by Ranadiel_Marius

For me, the Mary Sue must fit the "youngest X to ever Y" archetype. And so:

Both Jedi classes, Consular especially, set off my alarm bells. Consular is Mary Sue; JK is Chosen One.

In actuality, none of the classes are Gary Stus or Mary Sues. (This will have A LOT of spoilers as I am an altoholic like whoa).

Any character you make, republic or imperial, start on their first planet. Be it Hutta, Korriban, Ord Mantell, or even Tython.

Read the following spoilers at your own risk. I go into DETAIL about the majority of them.

The Sith Warrior arrives on the planet (whatever age you personally decide, mine was 17). She is a fresh new Sith Acolyte. She's force sensitive, but doesn't know everything about being a Sith. It's evident when Baras asks you about the Sith code. (Also the fact that I've got my characters being sisters or children, it changes the story a tad in my mind). You run around Korriban gaining power and strength for the day when you best your elders.

But you are a NEWB to being a Sith. You can say you have relatives that have been Sith for eons, but in my head, my character CHOSE to go to the Sith Academy instead of the Jedi Temple (she's light sided)

Then there's...

The Sith Inquisitor begins as a slave. (In my head canon, since she's my Sith Warrior's sister), she was kidnapped at 10 and raised by a kind and gentle man, who saw this poor thing and made sure she was treated right even if she did have to do slave things. Meaning no sexual abuse or physical abuse. The Sith scouts found out she was force sensitive and forced her to go to the Academy. Where my Warrior chose to go, my inquisitor had no choice.

It's evident you're forced here by the way you're treated like dog meat by your 'trainer'. Course once you're a Lord, he kisses your butt. Anyway, you get sarcastic dialogue BECAUSE you were a slave. Not only that, but you have to prove yourself on Korriban 100 times more than the warrior does. Hence why it seems you are gimp and need all these cheats and help from other people/things. You were basically thrown into your role when you didn't want to do anything of the sort.

The Imperial Agent. Mine was 21 when she hit Hutta, having JUST finished her basic training in operative/sniper stuff. (Mine's a sniper). Her first assignment she's all happy and looking forward to making a name (as much as you can as being an AGENT) for herself. She's new to the role, not sure of herself, but she is loyal to the Empire and to Intelligence. (She's also the adopted sister of my Warrior and Inquisitor since her parents were killed during the War when she was around 2.)

She goes around doing her thing, assignments, getting information, etc, until her assignment, when she has to play as a double agent. she finds out that she had some program inserted into her brain to control her because the Empire didn't trust her. Remember, she was doing as she was told, being a good girl and proud to be an agent. Only to find, she was being manipulated and mentally *****. After this, she begins to become jaded in her loyalties to the Empire. Especially since she's a Chiss. The Empire are already Xenophobic, which is why she tried proving herself so much. This is another reason why she and Vector get along so well. Come to find out, he was basically forced against his will to become a Joiner.

In the end, she saves the galaxy, but she's so damn jaded about everything, she chooses to be completely free from either Intelligence or the Empire and roams the galaxy a free agent, answering to no one.

Bountyhunter. Mine is the sister of my agent, warrior and inquisitor. She began fairly new to the hunting job. She knew what needed to be done, but she'd only been doing minor jobs like collecting small bounties. Then she finds she's basically forced to go into this contest, which she wins by killing the competition. Then later on they steal her husband. Basically the story of the bountyhunter is you were just a slightly above average bounty collector, who found herself thrown into this crap and had to prove herself.

Trooper. She's sister to all the above. She's 18, just finished basic and was filled with pride and glee to be part of Havoc Squad, the best of the best. Then she finds out the people in the original Havoc Squad were traitors to the Republic and her hero worship died an awful death. She spends most of her time removing the traitors. Now she has to fix what they screwed up. Suffice it to say, my trooper is not as innocent and perky as she was on Ord Mantell

Smuggler and Jedis are the above's children.

Anyway, my point in all this, is that you really are just an average Joe. Nothing special really. You're a dime a dozen. But during the course of your class story, you're thrown into these situations that can make you jaded or rethinking you're whole world outview. You're still not that special. The NPCs in side quests might act like you are God, but really, it's all a matter of what another person said, right/wrong place at right/wrong time. So, really, you're NOT a Mary/Gary Sue/Stu.

In actuality, none of the classes are Gary Stus or Mary Sues. (This will have A LOT of spoilers as I am an altoholic like whoa).

Any character you make, republic or imperial, start on their first planet. Be it Hutta, Korriban, Ord Mantell, or even Tython.

Read the following spoilers at your own risk. I go into DETAIL about the majority of them.

The Sith Warrior arrives on the planet (whatever age you personally decide, mine was 17). She is a fresh new Sith Acolyte. She's force sensitive, but doesn't know everything about being a Sith. It's evident when Baras asks you about the Sith code. (Also the fact that I've got my characters being sisters or children, it changes the story a tad in my mind). You run around Korriban gaining power and strength for the day when you best your elders.

But you are a NEWB to being a Sith. You can say you have relatives that have been Sith for eons, but in my head, my character CHOSE to go to the Sith Academy instead of the Jedi Temple (she's light sided)

Then there's...

The Sith Inquisitor begins as a slave. (In my head canon, since she's my Sith Warrior's sister), she was kidnapped at 10 and raised by a kind and gentle man, who saw this poor thing and made sure she was treated right even if she did have to do slave things. Meaning no sexual abuse or physical abuse. The Sith scouts found out she was force sensitive and forced her to go to the Academy. Where my Warrior chose to go, my inquisitor had no choice.

It's evident you're forced here by the way you're treated like dog meat by your 'trainer'. Course once you're a Lord, he kisses your butt. Anyway, you get sarcastic dialogue BECAUSE you were a slave. Not only that, but you have to prove yourself on Korriban 100 times more than the warrior does. Hence why it seems you are gimp and need all these cheats and help from other people/things. You were basically thrown into your role when you didn't want to do anything of the sort.

The Imperial Agent. Mine was 21 when she hit Hutta, having JUST finished her basic training in operative/sniper stuff. (Mine's a sniper). Her first assignment she's all happy and looking forward to making a name (as much as you can as being an AGENT) for herself. She's new to the role, not sure of herself, but she is loyal to the Empire and to Intelligence. (She's also the adopted sister of my Warrior and Inquisitor since her parents were killed during the War when she was around 2.)

She goes around doing her thing, assignments, getting information, etc, until her assignment, when she has to play as a double agent. she finds out that she had some program inserted into her brain to control her because the Empire didn't trust her. Remember, she was doing as she was told, being a good girl and proud to be an agent. Only to find, she was being manipulated and mentally *****. After this, she begins to become jaded in her loyalties to the Empire. Especially since she's a Chiss. The Empire are already Xenophobic, which is why she tried proving herself so much. This is another reason why she and Vector get along so well. Come to find out, he was basically forced against his will to become a Joiner.

In the end, she saves the galaxy, but she's so damn jaded about everything, she chooses to be completely free from either Intelligence or the Empire and roams the galaxy a free agent, answering to no one.

Bountyhunter. Mine is the sister of my agent, warrior and inquisitor. She began fairly new to the hunting job. She knew what needed to be done, but she'd only been doing minor jobs like collecting small bounties. Then she finds she's basically forced to go into this contest, which she wins by killing the competition. Then later on they steal her husband. Basically the story of the bountyhunter is you were just a slightly above average bounty collector, who found herself thrown into this crap and had to prove herself.

Trooper. She's sister to all the above. She's 18, just finished basic and was filled with pride and glee to be part of Havoc Squad, the best of the best. Then she finds out the people in the original Havoc Squad were traitors to the Republic and her hero worship died an awful death. She spends most of her time removing the traitors. Now she has to fix what they screwed up. Suffice it to say, my trooper is not as innocent and perky as she was on Ord Mantell

Smuggler and Jedis are the above's children.

Anyway, my point in all this, is that you really are just an average Joe. Nothing special really. You're a dime a dozen. But during the course of your class story, you're thrown into these situations that can make you jaded or rethinking you're whole world outview. You're still not that special. The NPCs in side quests might act like you are God, but really, it's all a matter of what another person said, right/wrong place at right/wrong time. So, really, you're NOT a Mary/Gary Sue/Stu.

Uhh...The 8 classes are definetly all considered "mary sue's".. They come from out of thin air and dramatically change the war for their faction. While at the end of their class storyline(SO FAR) they are at the top of the ladder of whatever it is they do. The best of the best pretty much... All within around 1-4 game years. That hasnt even included any expansion story yet.

Its obvious they are going to get more powerful from now, even Bioware stated the 8 classes will be the 8 heroes/villains of this era.

Edited by Girdeux

Uhh...The 8 classes are definetly all considered "mary sue's".. They come from out of thin air and dramatically change the war for their faction. While at the end of their class storyline(SO FAR) they are at the top of the ladder of whatever it is they do. The best of the best pretty much... All within around 1-4 game years. That hasnt even included any expansion story yet.

Its obvious they are going to get more powerful from now, even Bioware stated the 8 classes will be the 8 heroes/villains of this era.

To some extent maybe. But they really do begin as just average Joes. Sure, they end up being uber in their stories, but when you first begin, you're not all that special.

The point of being in the right place at the right time really happens before you have had a chance to prove that you are in fact really good at your job.

That point being when Jadus comes sniffing around looking for an operative to subvert. Not so lucky for him perhaps that you do turn out to be quite good at what you do.

Well sure anyone can end up doing great things (great depending on your perspective of Imp vs Pub respectively). I just mean as you are starting out on Hutta, I get the impression that your Agent was chosen because he is a relative unknown that has shown potential within the ranks but has not had the opportunity yet to prove that he/she has really got what it takes to be a great agent. Much like the precredits James Bond from the Daniel Craig Casino Royale. He hasn't gotten his 00 status yet. He still has to prove himself by getting his two kills, but he's picked for that mission because he has great potential, and subsequently gets his 00 status because of it. An average guy who ultimately does great things.

*sigh* Ah the joys of discussing a term which no longer has a definition. Read through the last six posts and you get five different opinions(2 of the posts are by the same person) all based on completely different interpretations of what a Mary Sue is making it impossible to prove or disprove any of the assertations. >.>