Sorcerer

Venoom

Hi,

I am a returning player that will probably mostly pvp since that what for my time allows. I am not sure if there is a tier list what classes stand where. I am hearing a lot of shouts on Snipers/Gunslingers being rather top damage but where are sorcerers now? what's their place in pvp? Of course it all depends on a skill also as sorcs can be hard to master but generally speaking can someone shed some light on them in the current phase of the game?:rak_01:

For solo ranked, deception sins and concealment ops are on top by a decent margin. Below them are lightning sorcs and maras, followed somewhat closely by mercs and snipers. Then pts and finally juggs. So I mostly agree with the linked tier list, except for whoever put mm sniper that high up. Both my experience playing a ton of ranked games this season, and the leaderboards, show that snipers are having a rough time in solos this season.

Also, madness sorcs are much worse than lightning for ranked, but for regs they're both fine.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

https://tiermaker.com/list/online-games/swtor-solo-ranked-tier-liist-239217/362519

I don't completely agree with the tier list. For instance in my opinion, ling sorc would be much S list. But, the list is decently accurate. Every class has a deviation of at max 1 tier.

Interesting link. I’ve never seen that before.

I’ve a question. If the B rating has the most classes in it, wouldn’t that mean they are the most balanced and the others need to be brought up or down to those LvLs?

I’ve a question. If the B rating has the most classes in it, wouldn’t that mean they are the most balanced and the others need to be brought up or down to those LvLs?

I'd say A and B are both fairly balanced. It's S, C, D that are overperforming/underperforming.

And anyway, in my opinion, there are always going to be at least a few specs in S and C. I think D tier are the ones that need the most attention right now. But then, if we do get that stupid jugg tactical that devs are trolling us with, jugg would rise to C, at the very least.

One could also argue that some of the ones in S tier deserve an S+ tier, nerfing them a bit wouldn't hurt :D

Edited by Equeliber

For context this tier was made by Krea during a twitch stream in which over 100 viewers participated and helped propose the tier list you see now. This is the full video of the stream::https://www.twitch.tv/videos/531658512?filter=all&sort=time

I'd say A and B are both fairly balanced. It's S, C, D that are overperforming/underperforming.

And anyway, in my opinion, there are always going to be at least a few specs in S and C. I think D tier are the ones that need the most attention right now. But then, if we do get that stupid jugg tactical that devs are trolling us with, jugg would rise to C, at the very least.

This response by Equeliber is spot on. This tier list is not supposed to be a comprehensive, ultimate guide to the hierarchy of classes in 6.0. There are a lot of limitations. For instance, the tier list was made one month ago before the AP pt buffs. Additionally it does not take into account the nuances of each fight: healer/tank/dps games, all ranged vs all melee, etc...

Also interestingly is that there is a "cultural gap" that is occurring between EU and NA right now. On NA, practically every jugg tank takes Force Bound set bonus, whereas on EU most jugg tanks use the Descent of the Fearless set bonus. I have no explanation for that other than "a cultural gap." While the damage increase from Descent of the Fearless is noticeable, the damage mitigation bonus from Force Bound far exceeds it. It can very easily be said that Force Bound is the better set bonus. Krea, at the time, having played mostly on EU, did not know of the force bound set bonus. And therefore rated jugg tanks much lower than PT tanks, whereas in reality the two could be on the same tier.

The thing that the tier list excels at is giving a rough estimate of where each class is. Like I said, each spec can deviate from its proposed ranking by 1 tier. For example: with a tank, operatives healers surpass all other healers and are undoubtedly S tier, but without tanks they are merely an A tier healer. Similarly with lethality ops.

One could also argue that some of the ones in S tier deserve an S+ tier, nerfing them a bit wouldn't hurt :D

That was the argument made by me and others, however I think Krea wanted to stick to the normal S tier down tier structure. This is really a shame because I think opers and sins do need a nerf, whereas not all S tier classes do. Also could allow ling sorc (getting back to the OP's original question) to be S tier. While ling sorc is clearly not on the same level of sin and oper, it is noticeably better than fury and miles ahead of marksman.

For context this tier was made by Krea during a twitch stream in which over 100 viewers participated and helped propose the tier list you see now. This is the full video of the stream::https://www.twitch.tv/videos/531658512?filter=all&sort=time

This response by Equeliber is spot on. This tier list is not supposed to be a comprehensive, ultimate guide to the hierarchy of classes in 6.0. There are a lot of limitations. For instance, the tier list was made one month ago before the AP pt buffs. Additionally it does not take into account the nuances of each fight: healer/tank/dps games, all ranged vs all melee, etc...

Also interestingly is that there is a "cultural gap" that is occurring between EU and NA right now. On NA, practically every jugg tank takes Force Bound set bonus, whereas on EU most jugg tanks use the Descent of the Fearless set bonus. I have no explanation for that other than "a cultural gap." While the damage increase from Descent of the Fearless is noticeable, the damage mitigation bonus from Force Bound far exceeds it. It can very easily be said that Force Bound is the better set bonus. Krea, at the time, having played mostly on EU, did not know of the force bound set bonus. And therefore rated jugg tanks much lower than PT tanks, whereas in reality the two could be on the same tier.

The thing that the tier list excels at is giving a rough estimate of where each class is. Like I said, each spec can deviate from its proposed ranking by 1 tier. For example: with a tank, operatives healers surpass all other healers and are undoubtedly S tier, but without tanks they are merely an A tier healer. Similarly with lethality ops.

That was the argument made by me and others, however I think Krea wanted to stick to the normal S tier down tier structure. This is really a shame because I think opers and sins do need a nerf, whereas not all S tier classes do. Also could allow ling sorc (getting back to the OP's original question) to be S tier. While ling sorc is clearly not on the same level of sin and oper, it is noticeably better than fury and miles ahead of marksman.

Thanks for the detailed response. It answered some of my questions. I guess my main one is still the whole balance thing. Regardless of current classes, should we we even need to have 4 seperate tiers (which is obviously rhetorical because we all want classes to be better balanced). And considering we do have 4 or maybe 4+, is the balancing really out that much or are the differences between the tiers or much larger.

So I’m wondering, should Bioware be trying to bring the top tiers back to the middle tier and boost the lower tiers up or am I perceiving that incorrectly (Serious question). Is it as simple as a philosophical change to balancing?

Thanks for the detailed response. It answered some of my questions. I guess my main one is still the whole balance thing. Regardless of current classes, should we we even need to have 4 seperate tiers (which is obviously rhetorical because we all want classes to be better balanced). And considering we do have 4 or maybe 4+, is the balancing really out that much or are the differences between the tiers or much larger.

So I’m wondering, should Bioware be trying to bring the top tiers back to the middle tier and boost the lower tiers up or am I perceiving that incorrectly (Serious question). Is it as simple as a philosophical change to balancing?

Are you asking for my personal opinion? I'm confused.

Good post. Went great with my afternoon 420.

Question is how is that Immortal Juggernaut is listed as a A tier where everyone else says Juggernauts sucked and to not waste their time with

Because the people saying juggernauts suck are talking about dps juggies; immortal is the tank spec.

Edited by KendraP

Hi,

I am a returning player that will probably mostly pvp since that what for my time allows. I am not sure if there is a tier list what classes stand where. I am hearing a lot of shouts on Snipers/Gunslingers being rather top damage but where are sorcerers now? what's their place in pvp? Of course it all depends on a skill also as sorcs can be hard to master but generally speaking can someone shed some light on them in the current phase of the game?:rak_01:

Madness is the best PvP spec, solid def/mitigation/mobility and pressure .. If you go to other sites -including YouTube- you will find much better information over the official site -sadly.

Because the people saying juggernauts suck are talking about dps juggies; immortal is the tank spec.

No i know it's a Tank spec. But i even heard that mercenary is more tanker than Juggernaut so i assumed the meant it as overall. How beneficial can immortal jug be if he can not kill anything? People won;t even bother attacking you since you're not very much a threat. Only use i can see him as is stunning heals etc

No i know it's a Tank spec. But i even heard that mercenary is more tanker than Juggernaut so i assumed the meant it as overall. How beneficial can immortal jug be if he can not kill anything? People won;t even bother attacking you since you're not very much a threat. Only use i can see him as is stunning heals etc

If you cant see the benefit of a tank, I'm not going to spell it out for you. Guard, taunting, survivability, there are uses.

The people saying mercs are tanker than juggs are comparing dps juggs and dps mercs because comparing a tank to a dps or a healer to a dps or a healer to a tank are nonsensical and unfair

I don't see what's so difficult here. Juggie dps suck, juggie tanks don't.

If you cant see the benefit of a tank, I'm not going to spell it out for you. Guard, taunting, survivability, there are uses.

The people saying mercs are tanker than juggs are comparing dps juggs and dps mercs because comparing a tank to a dps or a healer to a dps or a healer to a tank are nonsensical and unfair

I don't see what's so difficult here. Juggie dps suck, juggie tanks don't.

Relax pal.. i only played few months when the game came out and have not touched it since so that's like 8 years ago . Back then jugg's could dps as immortal and they were doing very well.. If you have a problem with questions what are you doing on a post with a question?

Relax pal.. i only played few months when the game came out and have not touched it since so that's like 8 years ago . Back then jugg's could dps as immortal and they were doing very well.. If you have a problem with questions what are you doing on a post with a question?

Did I not answer your question? A tank is not a dps. Theres a simple answer. If you want the current fotm dps its deception sin. If you're looking to competitively play a juggie learn to tank or be prepared for a lot of misery. Is that simple enough?

Did I not answer your question? A tank is not a dps. Theres a simple answer. If you want the current fotm dps its deception sin. If you're looking to competitively play a juggie learn to tank or be prepared for a lot of misery. Is that simple enough?

Who know maybe at some point someone from Bioware will end up getting pinched in the nose and realized that certain classes need a buff. Maybe i will roll a immortal jugg since now i see that they are viable 9 not for kills but help entire team. I had no idea that threat reduced damage taken in pvp and thought of it as a pve only skill along with Threatening Scream being like an damage reduction aoe i can see them being able to save someone from dying.

Who know maybe at some point someone from Bioware will end up getting pinched in the nose and realized that certain classes need a buff. Maybe i will roll a immortal jugg since now i see that they are viable 9 not for kills but help entire team. I had no idea that threat reduced damage taken in pvp and thought of it as a pve only skill along with Threatening Scream being like an damage reduction aoe i can see them being able to save someone from dying.

I strongly recommend learning to guard and guard swap. Taunting is super important, yes, but a dps can taunt and it works identically to a tanks. The guard and survivability are what define the role - you can live longer than a dps, thus getting off more taunts and eating more guard damage. If you run solo and/or do ranked, I suggest running dps gear with a shield (with dps mods). I personally only tank pvp when I'm running with my healer, so generally run tank with tank gear as a stall setup. Its remarkable the sheer number of people who will insist on tank/healer tunnelling even after it's obvious they dont have the damage to kill us.

I found this Guide and i am not sure if it's outdated or not. But it gives you and idea on gearing. I know that there is a different ideology on gearing especially on our friends on EU side between Force Bound and Fearless.

Between those two, assuming you have access to both, I would go with force bound, but the gearing recommendation I made earlier goes well with descent of the fearless, which is avaliable on the vendor, unlike force bound. I personally run descent as a skank set, and use my pve tank set (lord of pain) when I'm running a tank/tank set.

If I build a force bound set, I personally will run a +2% endurance or +2% mastery set alongside the 4 piece. Getting optimum amplifiers is annoying, time consuming, and expensive to the point where I'm not wasting my time or credits bothering with them, and thus, the straight stat increase is better than the wrong amplifiers.

I also disagree with some of the authors utility choices, but we likely come from very different places, as I frequently wind up in stall wars, and ranked is far more damage focused. That said, I will point out warmonger is bugged. At the moment it's not reducing the CD as advertised, so I would take a different utility until/if they fix the bug.

Someone say stall wall?

Welcome back, viss!

Edited by KendraP