Newbie Alert!! Introducing myself :)

CrazyCanukk

Yeah..I'm a complete Newbie to MMO's. Never played one in the past..ever:o

Ive been a HUGE fps player and never strayed to far from the familiar for the last decade aside from a few flight sims and some time in RPG's like Oblivion and Skyrim. So when i saw the free weekend trial for SWTOR i though ..why not and i liked it so much i went ahead and bought it (just the standard edition though)

I am a senior EA forum Moderator for EAUK forums and Battlelog ..:eek:**ducks**:eek: and have been an EA forum mod for a few years now for EA games.

I must say...I have been seriously missing out on some awesome games all these years...:(

I am honestly really enjoying the game play, quests and interaction with other players and hopefully will make some more friends as i go along because i think playing this with others is really going to enhance the whole experience. So if anyone knows any TS or VENT/mumble servers or wants to set one up with me i'd be happy to or Guild suggestions please let me know.

I can usually be found in the Drooga's Pleasure Barge server playing my main character..

A few Burning questions.

1) The Physical security Key..it seems inexpensive and a nice thing for Piece of mind but is it necessary?

2) Character development. I am playing Jedi Consular in my main character and tinkering with a bounty hunter character in another. Going off my old DND days from many moons ago is it best to choose a path (evil , good, nuetral)early on in the player development or can i let that develop more slowly over time with an MMO.

3) any other hints you feel like a complete new guy could use that you think would be helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my opening hello thread and looking forward to playing this game a lot more.

Cheers!

Canuck

Edited by CrazyCanukk

1.) Physical Security key is not necessary if your semi intelligent and dont do anything that puts your computer at risk. I haven't seen gold spammers yet, but basically dont buy credits, dont buy accounts. Never tell anyone your password or security answers. If you have to call Bioware they will ask you what your answer is but before calling any number through an email double check the website CS page and make sure it matches up.

2.) Choosing light or dark side has its advantages, you get small perks from the light side and dark side vendors, some of it can be quite helpful. And some of its just flavor, both vendors have the same things for the most part so feel free to choose either one. It's best not to stay Neutral unless your going for some RP deal, but other than that it reallllly doesnt matter.

3a.) Ignore the trolls, they will catch you any time they can. The biggest lesson I can give you as a new player...if you have a question and have a friend around that wants to know the same thing ask the question and have your friend reply with a BS answer. 3/4 people that respond will tell him how wrong and bad he is while giving your the correct answer.

3b.) Instead of getting your companions gear from the quest rewards, take the commendations. Commendations give you access to gear from the Equipement Commendation vendors as well as Mods from the Modifications vendors. As its hard in low levels right now to get into FP's that gear and those mods will keep your gear up to date and make you a very strong character. Find the Orange (Custom) gear from wherever you can and use it.

3c.) Welcome to MMO's, we're different here. Assuming you were a competitive FPS player you need to know that MMO's are the same way. You can play for fun if you want but most people that play for the end game wether its raiding or PVP will agree that you have some research to do. For that research I reccomend a website called http://www.Sithwarrior.com, there you will find an amazing amount of knowledge on all classes specs skills talents and just about everything you need to play comptetively on either side of the end game spectrum.

Good luck, and may the force be with you.

Security key also lets you gain access to in game security vendors. One other benefit from it besides the added security to your account.

"gold farmers" usually are in game but at times silent. They more so operate via in game email spam. Best thing is, they send you a credit, of which I usually take, then there is an option to report that email as spam.

Welcome to the game. Have fun and as the above stated, ignore the trolls. =)

First and foremost. Hello and welcome.

I am also a total newbie in terms of MMOs and find for the most part the community very helpful and friendly.

I was lucky enough to come across a good guild early on and their advice and help has proven invaluable. I have created all the classes for the republic just to get an idea of how each class handles. It seems I'm more natural with blasters than lightsabers. It may be an idea for you to give a few different classes a go early on, but I don't know how that will effect the legacy system.

Anyway hope you enjoy the experience.

Thomik. (Sluis Shipyards)

1) The Physical security Key..it seems inexpensive and a nice thing for Piece of mind but is it necessary?

If you have an iPhone or (I think) an Android, it is a free app. I debated getting it for my phone, but decided the cost ($0 :D) is worth the security.

2) Character development. I am playing Jedi Consular in my main character and tinkering with a bounty hunter character in another. Going off my old DND days from many moons ago is it best to choose a path (evil , good, nuetral)early on in the player development or can i let that develop more slowly over time with an MMO.

I find it is easier to decide on your path early on, but that does not mean you have to select only your chosen path. (My extremely-Light Sage has a few Dark choices.) There are benefits to getting to Light or Dark V, but you can get there, even if you select choices for the other side.

If you want to play Neutral, it is a lot easier to decide that early on so you can balance your choices. (Neutral is 1000 to -1000, so there is some flexibility. My "Neutral" Powertech tends to stay about -400.)

Hello CrazyCanukk, welcome to the community!

If you find yourself needing any general MMO tips, check out the sticky at the top of New Player Help, New Players Fleet Pass: A Directory of Resources, which is chocked full of amazing guides, often created by fellow members of the community!

However, if you cannot find answers and still have questions, please do not hesitate to ask. The community in New Player Help is wonderful and loves answering questions!

Hope that helps!