Vanguard or Commando?

MikeFL

I have been playing thru the class storylines again since returning to the game, and only have a couple left to go. I already played thru the Trooper storyline back around launch, but have since deleted my Trooper character. I am looking to go thru the story one more time, if only to unlock the companion bonuses for my account.

However, I am torn between VG or Commando. I have a Mercenary BH that I love, so the playstyle of mando is very appealing to me. However...aesthetically, I hate the cannon that Commando's use. On the other hand, I love the "clone trooper/republic trooper" motif, and using a blaster rifle plus some of the armors in this game gives a really great aestetic for that, but I remember the visual look of the abilities was not nearly as good as a PT, which I may make in the future.

So long story short....which of the subclasses would you recommend? Has VG abilities gotten better/cooler looking since a few years ago? Should I go with VG for the class look aesthetic, or commando and deal with the cannon?

My opinions: I don't particularly like the commando cannon weapons. Meh. That said, Powertech has better VFX than Vanguard as well.

All that said, I'd go with Vanguard. Tactics spec is fun, and I'm sure they will get some love in September with 6.0. The comando cannon is a huge turn-off for me.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

VG is great if you like a spammy rotation. You'll be clicking buttons constantly. Cooldowns, abilities, off-cooldown abilities in between other abilities, etc. It has very high damage, but very little in the way of defensive cooldowns. As such, it's a pretty hard class to play in PvP if that's your thing. If you can make it work, you can be a nightmare. If not, you're cannon fodder (no pun intended).

As for the Commando's cannon, I completely agree that it looks beyond dumb with most of them. That said, there are several tiny assault cannons that are less ridiculous, like;

Beryars Mk 3

Grantek F-11D

EL-34 Rotary plasma cannon

GT-23 Plasma Assault Cannon

That said, Powertech has better VFX than Vanguard as well.

Eh, I'm not sure about that anymore. A lot of skills like shoulder cannon and cell/energy burst look the same or nearly the same anymore and some of the best options have gotten nerfed visually. Flamethrower and Death from Above were amazing but wave and deadly onslaught are a lot less impressive.

I'd even give Plasmatech an edge over Pyro simply because Pyro has so much sameyness in its kit visually. Don't get me wrong Pyrotech looks nice but more than half of its core rotation is 'lift arm shoot fire'

There are still a few big wins for PT, flame sweep looks a lot nicer than explosive surge, I prefer rail shot to HiB and they have by far the better recharge effect, but I think at this point it really just comes down to whether or not you want lightning effects or fire effects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't noticed a VG in a long.. long time.

I started again a month ago and purged all my old characters. Knowing now about the changes since I left I would have kept a few including the VG.

I started with a new Mercenary and Commando. Commando is level 36 Mercenary is level 70 gear score 242 I have several 252 items. People swear the merc/commando are DPS beast but i'm just not seeing it. A perk of the Commando over the Mercenary is the Commando accuracy is easier since he is not a duel wielding type so you dont have to invest more points into it for more offhand hits.

If I was to do it over again, and I just might, I would go with the VG. The companion change to where they can do any role helps me a lot.

Also you have to consider if you enjoying chasing your target down or staying range. PVP these glow stick warriors mainly are face to face not to big of a problem but you will get runners and they are boring to chase. Commando on the other hand you just shoot. Problem is with the current state of the game heals are extreme and you might not get very far on heal type targets unless you figure things out that I haven't yet.

I haven't noticed a VG in a long.. long time.

I started again a month ago and purged all my old characters. Knowing now about the changes since I left I would have kept a few including the VG.

I started with a new Mercenary and Commando. Commando is level 36 Mercenary is level 70 gear score 242 I have several 252 items. People swear the merc/commando are DPS beast but i'm just not seeing it. A perk of the Commando over the Mercenary is the Commando accuracy is easier since he is not a duel wielding type so you dont have to invest more points into it for more offhand hits.

If I was to do it over again, and I just might, I would go with the VG. The companion change to where they can do any role helps me a lot.

Also you have to consider if you enjoying chasing your target down or staying range. PVP these glow stick warriors mainly are face to face not to big of a problem but you will get runners and they are boring to chase. Commando on the other hand you just shoot. Problem is with the current state of the game heals are extreme and you might not get very far on heal type targets unless you figure things out that I haven't yet.

Recovered my old VG. Its 61 running random BG's 4 man. Word on the street is its pretty much useless in pvp or will be soon. Tank spec just testing it other than guard no possible way to win a fight on your own I can see.

Recovered my old VG. Its 61 running random BG's 4 man. Word on the street is its pretty much useless in pvp or will be soon. Tank spec just testing it other than guard no possible way to win a fight on your own I can see.

Yes in pvp vanguard/powertech is not in a good spot, if left alone you can do massive amounts of damage but are incredibly squishy. As this has been the case for awhile now, any pvper worth anything will focus you down quite quickly. As far as pvp tanking goes you are behind sin/shadow by alot and a bit behind jugg/guardian. Skill floor is very high.