Mandalorian Rifle should be Sniper instead of Blaster Rifle

ShenLongKazama

I don't see what utility that would offer. The only class that can use a sniper rifle, the sniper, can also use blaster rifles. The item is usable by a wider variety of players if it's a blaster rifle.

But some skills are not usable with blaster rifles.

Edit: Okay that's weird. I remember sniper skills being unable while using a blaster rifle. :confused:

Edited by ShenLongKazama

Okay that's weird. I remember sniper skills being unable while using a blaster rifle. :confused:

Yep, I remember that too! But clearly they changed it at some point. I only noticed when I started sharing the new renown gear across my legacy and saw that my sniper had all skills still available when using a blaster rifle. (Since my best blaster was higher rated than my best sniper rifle, I thought "no harm if I lose a couple of skills until I get to 306," but it turned out I didn't need to lose any skills at all.)

• 8 months later...
If two weapons are both rated i306, and the toon can use both, and using either one doesn't restrict any use of any ability...

....how is one weapon better than the other?

Presumably if using the "better" one enables more abilities or has a higher damage rating. That is definitely the case for dualsabre versus singlesabre on Shadow/Assassin, or Honking Big Gun versus Puny Little Rifle for Commando, but it isn't, to my knowledge, the case for Sniper Rifle vs Blaster Rifle for Snipers.

Presumably if using the "better" one enables more abilities or has a higher damage rating. That is definitely the case for dualsabre versus singlesabre on Shadow/Assassin, or Honking Big Gun versus Puny Little Rifle for Commando, but it isn't, to my knowledge, the case for Sniper Rifle vs Blaster Rifle for Snipers.

It is. You only ever use sniper rifles as a sniper, just as gunslinger always dualwields and commando solely relies on assault cannons. If you don't, you're doing it wrong, simple.

On to the topic: I very much second the request. This rifle has an obvious look of a sniper weapon, no idea why was it even considered to add it as a blaster rifle.

• 1 month later...
No but you lose alot of damage because the sniper is way better then the blaster rifle

Where are the numbers on this. I have read over and over that sniper rifles give negligible bonus damage due to the time to get the shot off even on chain shots against real game time bosses.

Does anyone have some boss numbers (I know just setting up at turret firing to 325k and 650k are probably in the favor of the sniper rifle, but in a real boss fight, I wonder....)

It is. You only ever use sniper rifles as a sniper, just as gunslinger always dualwields and commando solely relies on assault cannons. If you don't, you're doing it wrong, simple.

OK, so explain what difference a sniper rifle actually makes compared to a blaster rifle. For HBG vs PLR, it's pretty clear that several abilities, especially on Gunnery, are disabled (above all Boltstream), and the same is true for dualsabre vs singlesabre on Shadow/Assassin and dualwield vs singlewield on dual wield classes, but as far as I recall, it isn't the case for Snipers.

If you have hard information, let us know what it is.

• 2 months later...
As a sniper main, I didn't even realize the Mandalorian Rifle WASN'T a sniper rifle. I've parsed the same numbers with a rifle and a sniper. I've looked through all the abilities and passives and come to the determination that: There's no difference. The ONLY passive that I have found that has the words 'sniper rifle' in it, is the Weapon Proficiency: Sniper Rifle. I think for snipers, blaster rifles are fine