What all can be done with Dark Projects?

Clayburn

You need 3 of them, 1.5 million credits, and reach your personal conquest goal to buy an item you can boost one companion for the character meeting that goal (since the item is bind on pickup) to influence 50

How is that done? And what's the personal Conquest goal have to do with it?

When you complete your personal conquest goal (15,000 Conquest Points) a droid called Vic-0RY (I think is the name) becomes available on the fleet near the guildship framework vendor, I believe, for you to purchase an item (don't recall what it is named) that allows the character that buys it (its bind on pickup) to give it to a companion (just like any other gift) and it boosts them to influence 50. It costs 4.5 million credits (sorry got that wrong in my previous post) and 3 dark projects. Edited by DWho

Is that worthwhile? They sell for about 2 million credits on the GTN. So that would be 7.5 million spent getting the companion to 50. How does that compare to buying gifts? Also, since gifts are practically free with the alliance crates, wouldn't it be easy to handle that way?

It takes some time to click the items to give your companion 100s of gifts.

Legendary gifts are available from the vendor but are very overpriced. Most go for between about 35K to 100K each on the GTN.

There is an unlock that can reduce the CD time for gift giving and also a permanent buff to boost the influence gained by gift giving. IIRC that's per character but not legacy but I may be mistaken.

In the end its a trade off between credits, time and the current level of your companion.

If you gain a new companion and like them, and their influence is very low, and you have DPs and credits to spare, it's a quick and simple way of raising them to rank 50. if you can reach your personal conquest goal.

As an aside there is an achieve for crafting 50 Dark projects, it grants a title as well.

Most conquest weeks give points for crafting DPs. - You'd have to read the tooltip for the week to check whether that is per character or per legacy, or repeatable.

GL

Edited by Storm-Cutter

It takes some time to click the items to give your companion 100s of gifts.

Correct.

Legendary gifts are available from the vendor but are very overpriced.

Correct. On a value-for-money basis, the 10K-credit grade 6 purples from the fleet vendor are about six times better than the 250K-credit grade 6 yellows from the Odessen vendor. (25 times the price, four times the points. Go figure.)

There is an unlock that can reduce the CD time for gift giving and also a permanent buff to boost the influence gained by gift giving. IIRC that's per character but not legacy but I may be mistaken.

Both are per-character.

In the end its a trade off between credits, time and the current level of your companion.

If you gain a new companion and like them, and their influence is very low, and you have DPs and credits to spare, it's a quick and simple way of raising them to rank 50. if you can reach your personal conquest goal.

Observation: the vendor will sell to any of your characters if just one of them meets the conquest goal.

If you make your own Dark Projects from mats in the world, they're basically cost free ( although can take time to gather) + the credits to pay the droid for the Companion boost. - even buying the mats would usually be cheaper than buying the DPs straight from the GTN. - Though you'd need a few characters to craft the components that make up the DPs.

Again its a time vs credits thing.

- Any TY to Steve. - once 1 character has achieved the personal conquest goal ( usually 15K) , any character in your legacy can use the boost - until the next weekly conquest reset. ( Tuesdays)

Edited by Storm-Cutter

even buying the mats would usually be cheaper than buying the DPs straight from the GTN. - Though you'd need a few characters to craft the components that make up the DPs.

Eh, not so sure about that. At least when I last checked, the DPs were going at around 2.2-2.4 million, while the Stabilizers (far and away the most expensive component) , of which you need 8 for them, were around 300k. So price wise, it's about the same.

If you want Gifts, then even if one obtains the Stabilizers via normal play and chooses to craft them, it's better to sell the results, honestly, and use that money on Rank 5 Purples. Trading 15 minutes of keystrokes gives you a profit of 6 million credits or so.

It takes 477 rank 5 purple gifts (or 954 blue ones) to raise companion from 1 to 50. Each cost 10k (5k) and could be found cheaper on GTN. They also drop from Command Crates and from Alliance Crates. The worst case scenario would require 4.7 M credits and some 30 mins of clicking (or you can be smart about this).

If you sell 3 DPs and buy gifts, you are profiting.

• 2 weeks later...
You need 3 of them, 1.5 million credits, and reach your personal conquest goal to buy an item you can boost one companion for the character meeting that goal (since the item is bind on pickup) to influence 50

That vendor has been available to me regardless of reaching my goal. For me, it is available forever on all characters. Perhaps its flagged as available once you've reached your personal conquest goal once on one character in your legacy? I know the devs said it was supposed to be only available AFTER you hit goal on THAT toon, but that's not the case for me.

• 1 month later...
You can buy some nice decos with them,... for me, they are my main source of income though... i craft and sell them ( Mako almost always crits)... there are windows of opportunity where i can sell them for 2.5 mil / piece throughout the week