disappointment with hk-51 and treek.

CHRISTOPHER-SAMA

for a while now i have been discontent with what happened to hk-51 and treek. they got nerfed pretty badly. some of hk's moves are gone and the same thing happened to treek. i feel like if i paid $20 for each companion they should be superior than the rest that can be recruited through regular gameplay. people use to buy hk and treek from the cartel because they were better. now i rarely see anyone talking about them, or use them as companions. i wish they would just put them back how they once were.

Good luck. I'd love to have all companions put back to the way they were, with their own set of skills and not generic. Especially HK-51 and Treek. I didn't use cc for either of them, but I have dumped several mil credits their way between my characters.

But BW can't even balance companions as they are now. 99% of the droids won't crit. Dual wielders have higher DPS, and in some cases heal better. Some are better tanks.

Oh man. :mad:

I play Scoundrel entirely PvE, but I think they're super dangerous PvP, so my character keeps getting nerfed -so my PvE character keeps suffering because the PvP functionality (which doesn't effect me at all) is too good. Anyways, I figured I'd give myself an edge by dropping One Million Credits on Treek, because I heard she was really good.

Now, here's the TRUTH. Not only is Treek no longer good, she's CLEARLY a lot worse than almost any companion you could pick, in a similar role. Let's Compare a Level 70 T4M1 at 25 Influence to Treek at the same level and influence. Because a Scoundrel has both DPS and Heals, it makes the most sense (to me) that I'd use a Companion set to Tank, so that's the roles I'm looking at. Both comps have 142K Health.

T4M1

*Power Charge: 7.5s CD, 6000 damage, 1500 self heal, plus Moderate Threat

...I understand this ability is bugged; but also Healing usually generates additional threat as well.

*Reinforcing Taunt: 12s CD, Force Taunt with 6 sec duration, creates a "moderate" absorb shield.

*Provoking Flare: 20s CD, AoE Taunt which also generates Moderate threat.

*Electronics Overload: 15s CD, 3800 AoE Damage, generates Moderate Threat, provides 50% damage reduction for 10s

*Multi Grapple 45s CD, pulls 3 Targets generates High Threat

In a 2 minute fight... T4M1 will: Force Taunt a single target 50% of the time, Force Taunt the Area 6 times, Generate Moderate Threat 30 times, generate High Threat 3 times, Self Heal for 24K, generate an Absorb Shield 10 times, and have additional damage reduction for 80 seconds. He's also going to do 340K damage from abilities (over and above auto-attack).

Now... let's look at Treek.

*Boom Thuk: 15s CD, 6200 AoE damage, plus additional threat, plus 5% damage resistance for zero seconds.

...that last part sure looks useful. :p

*Siz Whistle: 12s CD, 4500 damage, plus additional threat, +20% armor rating for 15s

*Klektukkuh Thleek: 18s CD, 3400 damage + 4100 bleed, plus additional threat.

*Tana Teeket: 2m CD, AoE stun with 4s duration

*Hveetin Yayath: 15s CD, 6000 damage, Charge + Immobalize

In a two minute fight, Treek will never force taunt, will deal additional threat 25 times, should maintain +20% armor rating for the entire 2 minutes, stun up to 8 targets once, and deal a rather nice 1,015K additional damage.

So... Treek is going to do a LOT more damage in a fight than T7, but clearly has a lot less durability and generates not a heck of a lot of threat, and with no ability to Force Taunt. I'm not sure how "additional threat" compares to "moderate threat" but I'm confident it's lower... especially when you see how Treek performs as a Tank... she doesn't. If I let Treek start with threat, by telling her to engage, and then attacking later, I take over aggro almost immediately, and if I start the fight (back blast from stealth, usually) I start with aggro, and keep aggro, even if I use my Surrender and stop DPS.

HK-51 set to damage has Assassinate. I don't know if it's the same ability as I got him and Treek after the whole "choose role" thing but he does have Assassinate, or at least an ability called Assassinate.

I don't think it's the same. Used to be he had an ability to insta-kill any silver or lower out of combat. You had to charge it up with 5 kills while he was the active companion and then you could get him to target anyone you chose that fit that description. It was awesome.

Not sure why they can't bring it back. Just bring back the charge mechanic and put the ability on the special toolbar (the one that appears for heroic moment/mission specific commands). At 5 kills the toolbar appears with the ability and you target who you want as before. I wouldn't be opposed to other companions getting a similar special as well.

Oh, Treek was awesome when she was released. I favored playing ranged DPS with a tank companion at that time, and Treek ruled. Tanking for most fights; healer for tougher fights. HK-51 was my favorite companion for my healers. HK-51 decimated everything while I popped heals on him. The best!

Now, :(

Treek is for crafting only. I don't even bother getting HK-51 on my characters anymore.

Switched my HK-51 to DPS just to see; he does not have an ability called Assassinate. I should compare his numbers, maybe, to Treek. I mean, Tank Treek almost seems to have DPS bonus damage. I wonder how her Tank DPS numbers compare to HK-51's DPS numbers...

Miss the companions. Their story, their roles. Yes! They were no another brainless companion like we got today. Except class companions HK-51 were a bit "unique" and a good DPS. Treek was good mix of healer and tank. Now when we have a lot companions from KotFE/KotET and can set role, there's no difference which companion we go. So sad. Miss these gold Times with doing dailies story with Nadia/HK-51 DPS or Treek Healer/tank or sometimes Qyzen tank. Edited by tummiswtor

Signed. I love my HK and I am using Treek atm. She is rank 40 at the moment and her heals are 3500-600. And when in tank mode she can barely keep agro. Both of them need to be patched. Including their conversations. I had to spend millions of credits just to influence them because they don't get any influence from their conversations anymore. :mad:

Poor Treek actually made it through the companion "cookie cutter," that was KoTFE, as the best comp healer. People used her, as low as influence level 20, to heal them to get the One and Only achievement. She was awesome. People that didn't have her, or weren't willing to purchase her complained, trying to get the star fortresses nerfed or the other comps "fixed" to her level of effectiveness. Instead of bringing the new comps up to her level they gutted her.

This is why I don't buy CC for things in game. Had I paid CC for Treek, I'd be pissed. It still disgusts me that I paid 300k on nearly 2 dozen characters to have her. And 1 million on at least a dozen for HK-51 after doing the pain in the assets story arc to get him.

Edited by PorsaLindahl

I miss these two companions, particularly HK-51. Their abilities reflected the fact that they were special companions and once those abilities were gutted there was almost no reason to use them anymore.

I wish that their abilities were restored to how they used to be. As has been noted, these companions were special and they should be just a bit better than all of the other companions in game.

The fact is, Treek (at least) isn't even "the same as" other companions. She is demonstrably WORSE.

...I do use HK, and I don't really have any problems with him. I've actually got him set as a Healing companion for my Tank Shadow. I haven't compared the maths behind his numbers with another companion with a similar Influence and Roll, but it might be interesting to see if he's as good as he should be.

• 3 months later...
I tested recently HK 51 and as tank he sucks because he doesn't have an aoe taunt ability which most other companions do have and as dps he is performing poorly and is at the bottom of the dps list, any companion with dual blasters & Shae will easily out dps him which is kinda sad for such special companion which requires effort to get in the game. Please BW fix him. Edited by Lunablade

I do agree, I always thought when they implemented the multi role companion system they should have only given companions default abilities on the roles they never did prior, giving players at least some reason to try and use companions in their original roles rather than pretty much always heals. Edited by Jedi_riches

I do agree, I always thought when they implemented the multi role companion system they should have only given companions default abilities on the roles they never did prior, giving players at least some reason to try and use companions in their original roles rather than pretty much always heals.

Ooooh companions have other roles than healer ?

Jokes aside, yeah, each companion should have its own set of skill, in his original role and get the generic one for other roles.