One planet is not an expansion

Darth-Rammstein

And ya know this is what Im waiting to see. If they announce alot more content with this then It may be worth the 10 bucks.

That all being said, I still think it should be buyable with CC - and thats really my biggest problem with the xpac - How can you have a monetary currency and then not allow people to use that to buy your product? Thats like going to Kohls and buying 100 bucks and getting 10 dollars in Kohl's cash then going back the next day and they say you can only buy certain items with that....I dont know any company that does this?

You mean Cartel Coins? Well I would have to say that maybe it will be an option in the future? From a business perspective I can see why they don't want the subs to wait 3 months to get it if the subs know they can just wait and build up the CC's. I know I would just wait...probably. In which case they don't get paid for something they think/know they can charge for.

Makes sense that way to me. It sucks I know but I was taught that there's really no such thing as a free lunch. I think they are going to try to get as many cash buyers for the expansion and then probably make it unlock-able in the near future with CC's depending on how many people buy it. Cant blame a brother for trying to make a buck or two.

Maybe someone can band everyone together to boycott it maybe forcing them to make it available with CC's? Even though I'm not the type for collusion like that. I like the game and want to see it go on in the long term future, so I'll pay the 10$.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In WoW you pay a sub as well as far as I know so MoP should be compared to the price subbed people pay. I paid 8 Euros for the SWTOR expansion and MoP costs 20 Euros here.

But in the end we don't know exactly what will be in this expansion and I still prefer SWTOR over WoW. It's not just about the money, it's also about what I want to spend it on and what you want to play.

Personally I am glad that the servers are fuller again, there are people playing and there is new stuff coming out. I am glad that things are looking up again. So I am happy to pay 8 Euro on this expansion. In fact I already bought it.

In WoW you pay a sub as well as far as I know so MoP should be compared to the price subbed people pay. I paid 8 Euros for the SWTOR expansion and MoP costs 20 Euros here.

But in the end we don't know exactly what will be in this expansion and I still prefer SWTOR over WoW. It's not just about the money, it's also about what I want to spend it on and what you want to play.

Personally I am glad that the servers are fuller again, there are people playing and there is new stuff coming out. I am glad that things are looking up again. So I am happy to pay 8 Euro on this expansion. In fact I already bought it.

So by that token Swtor costs 10+15(25) and MoP costs 15+20(35). Ten dollars more for about 10x more content.. yet sounds like a great deal... for MoP...

I have MOP and I have a year game card to wow (although I admit I got it for free :o)

What do I spend more time playing? SWTOR. So in my personal experience, I find more value in SWTOR.

If Makeb turns out to be a complete disappointment, then they'll have to work harder to get people to pay for content in the future. At this point I'm ok with hedging my bet with $10 - I'm used to it, one of my favorite bands always puts their new album up for pre-order before they even record it (in return people get their names in the credits). They've done this since 1997, and when they tried to NOT do it, people actually got upset. The difference is that they have a whole lot more trust from their audience than Bioware does right now. If their next CD was just plain awful I probably wouldn't pre-order any more, lol.

Edited by chuixupu

I'd like a little more information that is solid from BW before dropping cash on the table.

The last few "I trust you BW/EA" moments I've had can be directly tied to dissapointment. Not willing to give them anymore slack at this point and would like to see them step up and "show the actual product, not the SW hype to customers".

A solid LIST of what is being released (Understanding some things can change, but it should be equal or close to what is on the list). I know it's a catch 22 for them, but I'm willing to BET they have this list based on what is already being posted in the forums.

MoP is only 19.99 right now and includes 3 raids 6 dungeons 7 zones 2 new Battle Grounds 2 new arenas a new class a new race, player housing, pet battles, revamped lower level dungeon and raid content new mounts new tiers of gear new story and five new levels, new abilities and new tiers of gear for both pve and pvp

RotHC will beither 9.99 or 19.99 and includes five new levels and one new planet and repurposed abilities

Compare release prices.... a 1990s car is cheaper than a 2012 model too.... doesn't mean the former is a better deal.

Actually, WoW's latest Expansion costs $40+

Are for real? I've distanced myself from WoW for a while now and it was pretty hard to even pull up a price for the expansions, but seriously $40+? The fact that people still pay money for that game and spend $40 on expansions makes me ashamed to call myself a gamer right now.

Edited by TalkingDinosaur

Difference:

SWTOR - $10 ($20 if your F2P), One zone, no released content on raids, tier gear, ect but you better know you'll see the Cartel Market involved in it, lack of fourth pillar (what they sold the game on). Oh and lets not mention that this wasn't even suppose to be a expansion, it was suppose to be a content upgrade that was going to be free until the Hickman effect.

WoW - $30, 7 zones, raids, free content patches, new class, new race, and everything else that you expect with a REAL AAA MMO.

Fixed.

Edited by mcdoogle

Are for real? I've distanced myself from WoW for a while now and it was pretty hard to even pull up a price for the expansions, but seriously $40+? The fact that people still pay money for that game and spend $40 on expansions makes me ashamed to call myself a gamer right now.

I recently bought it for $30 and I believe back on cyber Monday it was $20.

Compare release prices.... a 1990s car is cheaper than a 2012 model too.... doesn't mean the former is a better deal.

Release prices are irrelevent. The reason a car's price goes down is because of wear and tear. The exact opposite is true with MoP the value only goes up as MORE content is added.

MoP has 3 raids, 6 Dungeons, 7 zones, a new class, a new race, a bunch of new story story and new tier of gear for PVP and PVE, two new battle grounds two new arenas player farms pet battles a revamped talent system, new skills and abilities and 5 new levels all for $20

Swtor RotHC comes with a new planet and five levels. All for $20.

It's all about what you can buy RIGHT NOW. People love to say things like "Well when WoW first came out blah blah blah. That kind of reasoning wasn't able to keep 2 million people from quitting the game. Saying "compared to a game that came out 7 years ago look at all these bells and whisltes it has" and "compared to what that other game cost 3 months ago it's a good deal" might make sense to some people.

But not to consumers price comparing right here and now. You want to attract new consumers? You want to bring back subscribers? You have to beat the competition, you can't beat what they were doing 3 months ago or 7 years ago, you have to beat them here and now, in the market. It's brutal and it may not be fair, but that's business. If you want to see this game suceed, SWTOR needs to be much more competitive and much more attractive.

No, it's not $40+ he made that up. Go look on amazon. I've linked it multiple times, it costs $20.

No, it's not $40+ he made that up. Go look on amazon. I've linked it multiple times, it costs $20.

It was $39.99 at release. It is not made up. It may be on sale today but it wasn't when it was released. Just as the SWTOR expansion will likely drop in price over time. Heck, it's 30 bucks still on Blizzard's store, $9 bucks off....

Edited by Kani_Warysia

It is extremely important for an actual, meaningful discussion on this topic. MoP was $39.99 at release. Pretending it wasn't doesn't move the discussion in your favor... it highlights a disregard for reality.

It could be that a few months down the line, RotHC goes on sale for $5. Though if it does, I'm sure all you'll see is people complaining about how they spent the full $10 and they should get a refund.

It is extremely important for an actual, meaningful discussion on this topic. MoP was $39.99 at release. Pretending it wasn't doesn't move the discussion in your favor... it highlights a disregard for reality.

No. It honestly doesnt matter what soever. It's about what consumers can buy RIGHT NOW and how much they get for their money. That's going to decide where people want to put their money. It's about the MARKET and how much bang you get for your buck. Saying "well six months ago it cost more." Isn't relevant because SWTOR is still bleeding subs, the game still isn't healthy and we're nowhere near close to it and nickle and diming subs on content that was supposed to be in a patch is just going to drive more players away.

It was $39.99 at release. It is not made up. It may be on sale today but it wasn't when it was released. Just as the SWTOR expansion will likely drop in price over time. Heck, it's 30 bucks still on Blizzard's store, $9 bucks off....

IT IS made up. You said it costs 40+. If you want to be LITERAL which is what you seem to desire you should have said "several months ago it was 39.99. Now it is 19.99."

But then again at release SWTOR was 60.00 and had a very real chance of being a great game.

No. It honestly doesnt matter what soever. It's about what consumers can buy RIGHT NOW and how much they get for their money. That's going to decide where people want to put their money. It's about the MARKET and how much bang you get for your buck. Saying "well six months ago it cost more." Isn't relevant because SWTOR is still bleeding subs, the game still isn't healthy and we're nowhere near close to it and nickle and diming subs on content that was supposed to be in a patch is just going to drive more players away.

What the market is saying (at least on Amazon) is that MoP is not worth the release price. Market demand has lowered so much that the price has to be dropped to move the product. The price is going down because the market says the "bank for their buck" is much lower than the release price.

Products don't drop in price because people are buying more of it.

That you think an expansion who's price has nose-dived after three months means it is "doing better" is so silly that you are even having a real discussion anymore.

MoP was 40$+ on release.

Who can say what Chapter 4 costs a month ofter release, maybe nothing anymore, or as a cartelitem 200k credits.. or 10$.

The Content from MoP is huge.

The content from RotHC isn't anounced right now beside 5lvls and one planet (official announcment) and minigames (last livestream) and complete pvp gear revamp.

So lets compare it when its time to compare... on releasedate with MoP on release.

What the market is saying (at least on Amazon) is that MoP is not worth the release price. Market demand has lowered so much that the price has to be dropped to move the product. The price is going down because the market says the "bank for their buck" is much lower than the release price.

Products don't drop in price because people are buying more of it.

That you think an expansion who's price has nose-dived after three months means it is "doing better" is so silly that you are even having a real discussion anymore.

What the market is saying (on every website and store in America) is that SWTOR is not worth the release price. Market demand has lwoered so much that it is now FREE. The price is going down because the market says "it's not worth any money whatsoever."

So how does paying any money whatsoever for additional content make any sense?

Just about everyone who continues to play WoW at this point already bought MOP. There are always a few stragglers and newcomers out there, but overall, they made their expected return on it already. Most people who want to continue playing swtor will want to get the expansion, even if it's small. Some people, like we see around here, may not, but the majority of people are not going to be comparing MOP to RotHC to see which game they want to continue with. They've either already bought MoP or they're not playing WoW.

MoP was 40$+ on release.

Who can say what Chapter 4 costs a month ofter release, maybe nothing anymore, or as a cartelitem 200k credits.. or 10$.

The Content from MoP is huge.

The content from RotHC isn't anounced right now beside 5lvls and one planet (official announcment) and minigames (last livestream) and complete pvp gear revamp.

So lets compare it when its time to compare... on releasedate with MoP on release.

It doesnt have Pandas and Pokemon. That makes it better by default. :D

It doesnt have Pandas and Pokemon. That makes it better by default. :D

It also doesn't have 3 new operations 6 new flashpoints 2 new warzones a new race and a new class. I don't know how any one can say this cruddy little swtor expac is in any way shape or form up to the standards of a real MMO expac.