Orange gear = motivation killer

Ultrazen

For me, a very fundamental mistake has been made in ToR regarding loot. One of driving forces for continued play, is the upgrading of loot/gear. Getting better looking, better performing gear is one of the lynchpins of these types of games. Orange gear almost entirely destroys this process.

I've been wearing the same gear since my teens. All I do is upgrade the mods in said gear every couple of levels. What this has done, has made quest rewards and gear finds completely meaningless to me, what's worse, I know in advance of receiving the quest reward that it's going to be meaningless. This, for me, is a major derailment as far as motivation to level/gear up goes.

Orange gear is one of the most complicated attempts at a wardrobe tab in history, and it has the side effect of marginalizing one basic motivation for game progression. The genie is out of the bottle at this point, and I'm not sure there's anything that could/should be done, but for me, a large part of the appeal of the game has been gutted.

When I go into one of the character story line quest at this point, where some sort of legendary foozle is the carrot at the end of it, the first thing I'm aware of, is that foozle isn't going to be any better or as good as what I already have.....that's a huge motivation killer.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, a very fundamental mistake has been made in ToR regarding loot. One of driving forces for continued play, is the upgrading of loot/gear. Getting better looking, better performing gear is one of the lynchpins of these types of games. Orange gear almost entirely destroys this process.

I've been wearing the same gear since my teens. All I do is upgrade the mods in said gear every couple of levels. What this has done, has made quest rewards and gear finds completely meaningless to me, what's worse, I know in advance of receiving the quest reward that it's going to be meaningless. This, for me, is a major derailment as far as motivation to level/gear up goes.

Orange gear is one of the most complicated attempts at a wardrobe tab in history, and it has the side effect of marginalizing one basic motivation for game progression. The genie is out of the bottle at this point, and I'm not sure there's anything that could/should be done, but for me, a large part of the appeal of the game has been gutted.

When I go into one of the character story line quest at this point, where some sort of legendary foozle is the carrot at the end of it, the first thing I'm aware of, is that foozle isn't going to be any better or as good as what I already have.....that's a huge motivation killer.

um... you do know there are TONS of different Styles in the game.. those oranges are outfits.. if you like how you look then what is the problem?

I personally an L42 and havent found the outfit that makes me happy yet so I keep looking..

I have a cargo hold full of outfits.

You do know that the mods ARE the gear.. and the armor itself is just an "appearance" so you should be looking forward to new mods especially purple mods..

While out questing, I recieved a purple helm that's better than the orange I was wearing and I can't get mods to make the orange surpass the purple at the moment.

Also... well, it's your choice. There is absolutely nothing forcing you to focus on keeping a single piece of orange gear and working on keeping it properly modded. In fact, I've seen very few players while leveling with more than a piece of it on at a time, and often it's a piece of gear that was likely looted with the same mods in it then.

Oh, and it's just fun to get new pieces of orange gear to mix n' match with.

You can still be motivated.

You can even still be motivated to get new chest pieces or hats or boots or guns or whatever, because they look different.

I think it is awesome that if I have Cool Orange Shirt A and spend all purple mods in it, and the next day I find SUPER COOLER Orange Shirt B, I can take my purple mods from Cool Orange Shirt A and put them in SUPER COOLER Orange Shirt B instead.

Or I can loot/buy/earn new mods for shirt B and keep both depending on what look I want to have on that day.

I'd say now there is MORE motivation, rather than less. :p

I find it troubling that pixels are your only motivation for playing a video game.

When you're paying his subscription then he might give a damn why you think he should play the game. We're all here for different reasons... but thanks for the extremely insightful feedback.

Edited by Malist

Its called changing your paradigm of what you look for in a game.

Treat the mods as the gear while the "gear" is simply the look and you will get the new paradigm shift.

Its all the same thing.

And every quest reward usually gives you the option for a commendation(?) that you can spend on better/different looking orange gear, or higher lvl mods to upgrade the gear that wear now that you like the look of...

I disagree I enjoy the orange gear, especially when I'm not forced to wear some ugly garbage looking piece just because it has "uber" written somewhere on it.

Agreed.

To OP:

If "new" is all that matters the fact you have 3 (sometimes 4) slots you can mod in a single orange item will make you even more happy since you have even MORE slots to "upgrade".

In your opinion.

In MY opinion, orange gear is the best idea ever. I can use gear that looks nice, do quests for commendations to see if I can get more outfits, that look nice, and I know that all of it will sit safely in my bank, and be modified to meet my character's needs for combat.

I already have my tanking suit, my DPS suit, my heal suit, and my all around set.... and alternates of each one, just because I can! Who needs silly "clothing" or an appearance tab, when I can make my character look how I want in a functional way, while enjoying the chase of the modifications to put in it - AND supporting the crafting community while I'm at it.

In other words, you and I disagree, and our opinions cancel each other out.

Oh, and in case you haven't started the orange gear chase yet, lemme tell you, it's WAY harder to find a matching set of oranges, or even a nice looking set (i.e. not newbish) then it is to find a set of purples. Some orange items are loot drops from flashpoints only (at this time, I don't know if they will be schematics that are rare, or what). It means, for me, that the gear grind is diverse, I have a reason to do ALL the flashpoints over a few times, and I have fun doing it.

Yeah I am digging orange gear for one thing it you aren't severely handicapped if you chose not to do operations...I have seen Hardcore raiders complaining that their gear isn't head and shoulders above everyone elses....Bioware basically took away the epeen factor.

Yea I'm gonna go with one of the rare innovative and ambitious features in this game not being a bad thing.

Plus I'm calling sheenanigans on quest reward apathy. Mods drop as quest rewards. And an orange piece of gear is basically splitting a gear slot into 3 gear slots, so that much more to run the treadmill for.

I love my Orange gear, and I am sad I will have to shelve it for a little while, while I get my BattleMaster/Rakata gear. Then when more of the high level armoring/mods/enhancement schematics start dropping I'll slowly be putting my orange gear back on.

My orange gear gives me the look I want right now, because I have found the look I want, minus a chest piece. Orange gear can also be crafted with an augment slot (if critically made) so there is no downside from using Orange gear, it will just be harder to complete an Orange set.

You can still be motivated.

You can even still be motivated to get new chest pieces or hats or boots or guns or whatever, because they look different.

I think it is awesome that if I have Cool Orange Shirt A and spend all purple mods in it, and the next day I find SUPER COOLER Orange Shirt B, I can take my purple mods from Cool Orange Shirt A and put them in SUPER COOLER Orange Shirt B instead.

Or I can loot/buy/earn new mods for shirt B and keep both depending on what look I want to have on that day.

I'd say now there is MORE motivation, rather than less. :p

You pretty much summed up how I feel. Part of the fun is finding the moddable gear to begin with, then mixing and matching. We have much more variety for gear thanks to mods in this game than I have ever experienced in other games.

I love the orange gear, my only issue is apparently its not possible for orange gear to be on par with top end raid and pvp gear. I really dont wanna look the same as everyone else.

This right here is the reason to just farm you purples and blues while you level up and not waste time with orange gear anyway. At the end we will all look the same.

I don't get the OPs complaint. The only thing orange loot does is give you the flexibility of continuing to wear a piece of armor whose graphics you prefer. You still have the carrot of acquiring upgrades to improve your stats via questing, raiding, PVP or whatever toots your horn.