Moment of truth: Did Bioware do a succesful job at making a Star Wars MMORPG?

The_Old_Empire

I've made previous threads in the past which all caused debate amongst the community whether or not Star Wars was a MMO. Alot of people said it was and vice versa. This is a moment of truth question which isnt in anyway shape or form trying to flame/rant how rubbish or how good the game is. From your own personal opinion do you feel that the game created by Bioware made a successful attempt in making a Star Wars MMORPG?

I personally have always wanted a Star Wars MMO ever since I started playing them type of games. Being a big fan of Star Wars myself I went into this game for years with high expectations and when I played Mass Effect I was sure that this game would exceed my expectations. Although playing I was able to reach Level 31 Jedi Knight being a Sentinel as my talent progression. I have said this on countless forums that I do not feel this game is a MMO maybe because I'm not a fan on Theme-Park MMO's as I am more of a Sandbox type of player. I personally feel Bioware made a good attempt but believe they are more suited at Single player roleplaying games (Mass Effect) and even in this game it's quite evident they put alot of thought into the Singleplayer. So in terms of Singleplayer it was an amazing well done job but in terms of being a MMORPG I have to say I was dissapointed. I feel the surroundings felt claustrophobic and I didnt have any freedom to be able to move around without countless loading times. It felt like I was compacked into a small space and that I couldnt roam around wherever I wanted and that was the problem for me with the game. There was no moment of peace when I was on the planets that I could just sit down and enjoy the beautiful view which also made the game not as amazing as I would of hoped.

What are your individual opinions?

Edited by The_Old_Empire

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I play on a well populated pvp server. I constantly see tons of other players and often probably 3 enemies to 1 friendly if you travel near your enemies questing areas/travel routes, which is more and more common with quest destinations the higher you level. I have had going on 50 world pvp fights I've won so far and have had a blast doing so. This game still needs some work but, for being as young as it is.. it's great and I love it. Now, fix those bugs! Edited by Aethyrprime

I honestly like it. Enjoying my smuggler and jedi consular.

Not really interested in the SW lore/franchise but this game's intrigued me. One of my biggest worries was being hit by lore or being expected to know the movies/previous games to complete the quests and receive the fullest from the game. Not happened. I am not being patronised and my partner, who is quite into SW, loves it from his high end of know-lore too.

So yeah. I like it. Starting to get tired of these forums and every doom-sayer's opinion though.

The Bioware Bashing gets old we already know what we know.

Yes, this is not an next gen MMO

Yes, its was made with an outdated graphics engine

Yes, it is a quest grinding game with no innovation

No, it is not a sandbox

Yes it was released before bugs were fixed. In Bioware's defense they are in this to make money and they needed to make the Christmas sales window.

Yes, it feels like a single player game.

Yes, this game is easy, it does cater to casuals (this is no real surprise)

Yes, there is no real endgame content, (dont rush your way to 50)

Yes, it is lacking Guild bank and other basic features of an MMO

Now we can focus on more of its positives.

Its a Star Wars game

You have lightsabers

You have a great single player story

This game does not meet my expectations for a game that was in development 5 plus years has the budget it has.It is lacking what most MMO's already have and Liscence agreement was not renewed with SOE on SWG so this game would not have same name recognition to compete with.Right now,this game does NOT surpass a game that was closed so this one could be successful.Nowhere close.

Which to me was done wrong/backwards.I see some of the same signs I saw in SWG as far as Lucas and His control over the name of the software.I see the same crap happening over again.

Edited by AERHAE

The Bioware Bashing gets old we already know what we know.

Yes, this is not an next gen MMO

Yes, its was made with an outdated graphics engine

Yes, it is a quest grinding game with no innovation

No, it is not a sandbox

Yes it was released before bugs were fixed. In Bioware's defense they are in this to make money and they needed to make the Christmas sales window.

Yes, it feels like a single player game.

Yes, this game is easy, it does cater to casuals (this is no real surprise)

Yes, there is no real endgame content, (dont rush your way to 50)

Yes, it is lacking Guild bank and other basic features of an MMO

Now we can focus on more of its positives.

Its a Star Wars game

You have lightsabers

You have a great single player story

WOW lol i've never seen it nailed so hard, ron jeremy would be proud.

It's really too soon to say. I will say as a vet of UO and SWG (and most of BW's single player games) I'm having fun as a level 18 sage. I still haven't crafted or flown my ship more than once and just arrived on my third planet so there is a lot that I don't know.

But as long as it remains fun I'll be playing!

its not a MMO... but it is a RPG. The feels dead to me I never see anyone ouside the newbie zones... Taris, Tatooine, alderaan all empty. I never see other player characters anymore.

on my server, all 3 of these planets have at least 2 instances until about 1 AM.

Absolutely...as long as they don't try to revamp game to WOW configuration. A lot of people crying about not having this or that because it was like that in other mm0's, which is ridiculous. If I want a game to look like another game, I'd go play that game. Only one thing missing in this game and that /assist and /follow. This is my game for the long term, don't listen to the whiners, BW.