Much faster speeders.

BurnedRemains

I only have an issue with speed on a few speeders. I bought the cr-17 incendia speeder and got tired of it because it looked sooo much faster than it was. It actually felt like i was going slower or stuck in 1st gear. The speeder has TWO TURBINE ENGINES and it goes as fast as a taun taun......

I feel the game is not ready to handle much more than a 10-20 increase in speed due to the lag and issues that it might bring.

**WANT**

Make traveling on marked trails, as seen on map, give at least a 50% speed boost. I have no clue how this could be implemented but just doing the trails will help to reduce the issues this may cause

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sort of in the middle. I can see problems arising if mounts go TOO fast, sort of like the flying mount problem in WoW. But I agree that the vehicle mounts feel too damn slow. The creature mounts on the other hand, like the Tauntaun and the Varactyl, they feel just fine. But the vehicle mounts, specifically the ones based on speeder bikes, they just don't feel right.

Even there can just be some visual changes made to certain vehicles to create the illusion of increased speed, that would be a welcome improvement IMO.

One of the silliest things i've ever read. Win/win? Really? Win for who? Win for you inside a VERY linear map? Enjoy your little box, bro. Some of us want to move a little beyond that. In this game, the only places you can go is from leveling zone to leveling zone with hardly any explo to be done 'off the beaten path'. (Hoth is probably the ONLY exception..even then all you get is one snowy mountain to hang out on). Look at 'the 'other game'. Flying mounts opened up world explo in a major way (which was already way better than SWTOR before flying mounts even came out).

I don't think you truly believe your post. You are only saying what BW would say without any room for suggestions or objectivity. Typical BW defense response.

:D *ahem* ;)

(Seriously, i do miss being able to travel almost anywhere that i wanted to at speeds far more that four times that of SWTOR and the little Easter Eggs and badges the Devs would hide here and there as rewards for taking the time to explore a map. Then again i also miss using a game client that didn't have to reload every single map asset for switching instances of the same map and thousand other design oddities that make me wonder what BW was thinking when they designed the game engine. It's like every time a big name game studio sets out to make a new MMO they don't bother seeing what innovations any other MMOs have come up with in the past eight years or so. i'm not saying they should copy other games, but they should at least be mindful of what has worked well in the recent past and try to improve on it rather than reinventing the hexagonal wheel every time. "See how brilliant we are? Our wheel isn't a square! Wait, what do you mean no one's made square wheels in over a decade and most are circular now? Inconceivable!")

Edited by NyxNoxNothing

The math has been done. The most expensive super advanced ultra high tech flying hover bike is about as fast as Usain Bolt, a human, can run. My car tops out at about 6 times faster. It is absurdly and annoyingly slow.

Despite this I've passed blaster bolts while travelling on the taxis. By my estimations major league pitchers can throw fastballs at or near the speed of light in the SWTOR universe and bows and arrows are clearly a FTL technology.

Clearly the speeder speeds are set as a fraction of the local value of c and hence are very very fast indeed.

Despite this I've passed blaster bolts while travelling on the taxis. By my estimations major league pitchers can throw fastballs at or near the speed of light in the SWTOR universe and bows and arrows are clearly a FTL technology.

Clearly the speeder speeds are set as a fraction of the local value of c and hence are very very fast indeed.

Blaster bolts are clearly some sort coherent/contained plasma projectiles and not EM radiation. If they were laser or maser type weapons you would see briefly flickering lines of light between the blaster and the target due to the air along the beam path being ionized by the radiation or particles in the beam path scattering some of the light. Since you can see the bolts before they arrive light obviously travels faster than whatever the blasters are firing.

Edited by NyxNoxNothing

Years from now, when someone designs a StarWars MMO correctly, and staffs it with devs who actually have a *********** clue, we might get all this. I mean, one can dream, can't one?

For now though, just shut up and buy more Cartel Coins, little consumer.

(/Pat-pat on head) Who's a gooooooooood little consumer? Yes, you are!

[/cynicism]

I'd welcome faster speeders, but in fact there is much larger issue with them. Once you buy ANY "Tier 3" speeder - any other "mounts" are just plain useless, 'cause they are identical exept cosmetics. I think the different speeders should differ a lot more then just "paint jobs". Likewise - i find stupid that they cant be used in combat, especially remembering Episode 6... But I doublt they bring it in, because its a lot of balancing and other work.

I'd welcome faster speeders, but in fact there is much larger issue with them. Once you buy ANY "Tier 3" speeder - any other "mounts" are just plain useless, 'cause they are identical exept cosmetics. I think the different speeders should differ a lot more then just "paint jobs". Likewise - i find stupid that they cant be used in combat, especially remembering Episode 6... But I doublt they bring it in, because its a lot of balancing and other work.

exactly-- entirely different speeder riding characteristics

http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/menu5_04.jpg

like in ya good old racing game

Can´t be that hard, on the other hand there is probably some "technical limitation" :rolleyes:

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Personally, I believe that piloting 2 should increase by 10% and 3 should increase by 20%. Currently, those speeders can't possibly moving faster than 25-30 mph. If you are ever near someone of a piloting level 1 under you, you barely inch your way past them. It isn't a significant difference between speeds.

Make traveling on marked trails, as seen on map, give at least a 50% speed boost. I have no clue how this could be implemented but just doing the trails will help to reduce the issues this may cause

This is an awesome suggestion, if they crank up the speed to 300% at least on the trails

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst