Is the Freighter Fly-By supposed to be insanely slow?

jesterbard

Seriously, a 3 second cast, followed by 3 seconds of roleplaying nonsense before the pain actually drops. It's nearly unusable, as tanks have usually moved before it lands, or if there's no tank, the mobs have killed you. In pvp, your opponents can totally capture the target before you can get this attack off (assuming multiple door grabbers).

It's a fun skill and I like it, but it misses more often than it hits. Can we cut it down to an actual 3 second activation? Either instant cast that lands after 3 seconds or 3 second cast that lands as soon as it's done? Or some mix thereof? It literally takes 6 seconds from the time I start casting to the time the strike hits and it's just not acceptable.

It's not the best move ever, but I've definitely gotten use out of it in PvP. It is obviously not that useful in a 1v1 situation and I don't really think it should be. But throw it into the middle of a large battle where enemies are preoccupied with other players and you either hit them all for a bunch of damage or force them to get out of the way and interrupt their attacks.

It needs a good bit of foresight to use, yes, but I get use out of it in pve and pvp.

In PvE you cast it as the first attack you do, or you cast it right on the tank, who shouldn't be moving around that much...

In PvP you cast it on a big fight. You'll probably hit one or two people for a few thousand damage, which is worth the long cast time. You can combine it with a flashbang straight after to delay reaction times.

You don't use it in pvp to stop people grabbing doors or objectives. That's what thermal grenade and incendiary grenade are for...

Edited by StealthNerf

The initial delay can be lived with for XS Flyby, I think.

What it needs, and Incendiary Grenade does too, is a shorter tick time. Either 1s or 2s per tick, not 3s/tick as it currently stands. For something locked to a small patch on the ground, that is painfully slow, especially since the ticks come at the "end" of the 3s intervals.

It's currently possible for a target to get out of the area of effect before any damage lands even if they were rooted as the ability was cast. That's pretty terrible.

It needs a good bit of foresight to use, yes, but I get use out of it in pve and pvp.

In PvE you cast it as the first attack you do, or you cast it right on the tank, who shouldn't be moving around that much...

In PvP you cast it on a big fight. You'll probably hit one or two people for a few thousand damage, which is worth the long cast time. You can combine it with a flashbang straight after to delay reaction times.

You don't use it in pvp to stop people grabbing doors or objectives. That's what thermal grenade and incendiary grenade are for...

Because everyone uses an otherwise useless spec to get incendiary grenade?

Tbh I have found it ok in 1v1 against melee. If I mez them, drop XS Freighter underneith me, sab charge, then load up an aim shot, its big burst. It puts them in a spot where they have to try to kill me and stand in my aoe or run away but risk me killing them from a distance.

What it needs, and Incendiary Grenade does too, is a shorter tick time. Either 1s or 2s per tick, not 3s/tick as it currently stands. For something locked to a small patch on the ground, that is painfully slow, especially since the ticks come at the "end" of the 3s intervals

I'm okay with the 3s tic, but I do agree that it should tic sooner rather than later.

Edited by Rown

Freighter flyby is amazing in Voidstar and Alderaan Civil War.

This. Pop it off over a door/turret and no capping for the next few seconds. And unlike the trooper/bh equivalent it doesn't require you to stand there and channel letting you do other things while it works..

Hell, you can even STEALTH after using it provided you're not in combat. It probably will get changed in the future, but for now it's the ultimate fire and forget attack that doubles as area denial.

Edited by Abanoth

It probably will get changed in the future, but for now it's the ultimate fire and forget attack that doubles as area denial.

That would be the Incendiary Grenade, since it's instant. But Flyby might be second. (And if you have both...)

Edited by Rown

Tbh I have found it ok in 1v1 against melee. If I mez them, drop XS Freighter underneith me, sab charge, then load up an aim shot, its big burst. It puts them in a spot where they have to try to kill me and stand in my aoe or run away but risk me killing them from a distance.

Do you start every post being a nerf herder to everyone whom is offering people advice? He didn't just say Incendiary grenade, he also said Thermal, which from my understanding every spec has.

All of his post was a pretty sound answer imho.

Learn2throw thermal grenade.

But I think the long activation time is the price we pay for it being so damaging. It'll critical hit for 1500+, and I often see that happen on two enemies.

If people really want to use it on objectives what I find semi-decent is to first put down a thermal, then follow up with a flyby. The problem with that is you're not really guaranteed to hit anything. I prefer to save it for a big melee brawl.

Edited by StealthNerf

I don't really care about this spell taking so long, it's my instant abilities like Vital Shot and Quick Draw taking so long to shoot that bother me. I can't tell you how many times I try to quick Dot with Vital Shot or finish someone off with Quick Draw and I have to wait almost an entire second after I press the button for my char to pull up his guns and fire the shot. It's extremely annoying.

I don't really care about this spell taking so long, it's my instant abilities like Vital Shot and Quick Draw taking so long to shoot that bother me. I can't tell you how many times I try to quick Dot with Vital Shot or finish someone off with Quick Draw and I have to wait almost an entire second after I press the button for my char to pull up his guns and fire the shot. It's extremely annoying.

It's called the GCD (Global Cooldown). After you use any ability, there's a 1.5 second delay before another ability can be used. The only reason it isn't noticed with channels and casting time abilities is the GCD starts when the ability is started, so by the time the cast or channel is over the 1.5 seconds have already passed, making it only truly noticeable after the use of an instant ability.

It's called the GCD (Global Cooldown). After you use any ability, there's a 1.5 second delay before another ability can be used. The only reason it isn't noticed with channels and casting time abilities is the GCD starts when the ability is started, so by the time the cast or channel is over the 1.5 seconds have already passed, making it only truly noticeable after the use of an instant ability.

This has nothing to do with what he's talking about. The application of Vital Shot and the damage of Quick Draw (in some situations, anyways) is not always done right away after being cast. Instant abilities should be instant and not tied to animations.

they might have to tone down the damage by quite a number if they're going to make it instant cast.

The most irritating thing about using it in PVP? when everyone sees the republic logo on the floor and start running from it :(

Forcing people to move out of the impact area can be just as useful as the damage.

While I'd love it to start dropping damage as soon as the 3s was up that would probably be a little too good. As it is I wear two bits of Champion Combat Tech armour which means my Flyby does an extra 30% damage which makes it crazy good in PVE. I can drop it on a group of Mobs and watch them all just... die. Dropping it onto your Tank's head is awesome fun, although the fact that then everyone complains that they can't see anything may be a downside to that tactic....

I've found that it is often used on Ilum with large forces on either side to push back one side. On my server the Imps tend to outnumber the Republic probably 3:1 in any outdoor fight, so Ilum battles with sizeable forces inevitably end up at the doors of the Republic Base, and it's only a cluster of XS Freighter Flybys that ever seems to stop the Imps overrunning us completely.

It's great when people tunnel vision on their current target. In huttball, I had couple instances where I was able to get huge dmg out of the ability. 4 or 5 opponents, all clumped, all not paying attention to the cast, the animation, nor the fire. They were just so intent on their current target. Had bunch of dmg fly across my screen. Felt good.

As others have said, the area denial aspect can sometimes be more important than it actually hitting anything.

This makes it more of a "strategic" than "tactical" skill. You can also "herd" enemies into your other AOEs if set up correctly.

I disagree. Run to an objective and toss a grenade if they are already capping then flyby. The reason to use flyby as a cap stopper is the 12s dot it applys, you can stop a whole group by doing this. I find its most effective when cast on a voidstar door after we've planted the bomb. For 12s theres no way they can remove the bomb since the 3s DoT ticks will interupt them everytime they try.

Obviously you have to watch the cappers cast bar, if they are 3s into capping then a flyby wont stop them, use a grenade first then flyby to prevent a cap. Gotta be smart .. but its a very effective anti-cap tool if used correctly.