Character Migration due to heavy server load

DJOllieVee

As much as i appreciate Bioware giving Early Access to nearly everyone who has pre-ordered now they haven't thought it through. There simply aren't enough servers to compensate for the amount of players they have let in today, atleast from a European timezone point of view, but it will probably be the same for when it hits US peak times in a couple of hours.

The server my guild has been assigned to (Bloodworthy) has a queue time of 1hour 15minutes, at time of writing, and nearly every other EU server is full at present. I have lost connection 3 times now for no apprent reason (no error code is given either) and i'm not prepared to wait another hour to get into the game after having to do so twice already.

I am aware that Bioware are constantly adding servers as we speak but, surely, it would have made better sense to have all of the game servers avaliable straight away regardless of what wave they were in and spread the pre-launch guilds out as evenly as possible over their server preference type.

I know Bioware are working as hard as possible at the moment but i think the best solution would be to make all of the servers avaliable now (including the ones for the actual launch day) and give everyone or just the pre-launch guilds (as they will make a fair percentage of players) the ability to migrate to another server. This will then decrease the load on the servers they are currently on whilst making it inviting to new players to join a 'standard' population server with little or no queue time.

I doubt this will get an official response but it would be nice to know what Bioware thinks of this idea or an update of the current server situation.

I don't see how it would make a difference? If a very large portion of the servers were made avaliable now (much more than is presently avaliable) they will still be filling up, so without trying to come across as rude, i can't see what difference it's going to make?

They just can't win.

They stagger the launch to avoid bottlenecks in questing and server queues, everyone complains that they weren't in the first wave. Regardless of the fact that they spelled this out clearly.

They let nearly everyone in...and people complain about server queues.

Isn't this the kind of thing that everyone has said they are used to when a game launches?

Well...nearly everyone is in...so now we have queues.

Sorry..lots of people want to play. It is what it is.

i think the best solution would be to make all of the servers avaliable now

That's a very bad idea. Because they don't know how many servers they'll actually need.

Now I'd agree with bringing more servers online, and do it ASAP. But doing them all could be a big problem.

The last thing they want is to have 10 more servers then they actually need, because then those servers will never have a stable, healthy population, and might need to be removed, which causes problems for all the people on them.

As much as i appreciate Bioware giving Early Access to nearly everyone who has pre-ordered now they haven't thought it through. There simply aren't enough servers to compensate for the amount of players they have let in today, atleast from a European timezone point of view, but it will probably be the same for when it hits US peak times in a couple of hours.

The server my guild has been assigned to (Bloodworthy) has a queue time of 1hour 15minutes, at time of writing, and nearly every other EU server is full at present. I have lost connection 3 times now for no apprent reason (no error code is given either) and i'm not prepared to wait another hour to get into the game after having to do so twice already.

I am aware that Bioware are constantly adding servers as we speak but, surely, it would have made better sense to have all of the game servers avaliable straight away regardless of what wave they were in and spread the pre-launch guilds out as evenly as possible over their server preference type.

I know Bioware are working as hard as possible at the moment but i think the best solution would be to make all of the servers avaliable now (including the ones for the actual launch day) and give everyone or just the pre-launch guilds (as they will make a fair percentage of players) the ability to migrate to another server. This will then decrease the load on the servers they are currently on whilst making it inviting to new players to join a 'standard' population server with little or no queue time.

I doubt this will get an official response but it would be nice to know what Bioware thinks of this idea or an update of the current server situation.

totally agree with you. My char's lvl is way too high already to simply start a new on a different server..By the time I started playing ive chosen a low populated server to make sure i can play later on but today i suddenly got 1.30 hours waiting time lol...

Tbh, I wonder why everyone wants to play on my server hahahah

OMG LET EVERYONE IN!!!!!!!

*** SERVER QUEUES???!?!?!?!

pick your poison.

lol, see you when u in waiting...

Edited by Sireene
quote of edited post

They just can't win.

They stagger the launch to avoid bottlenecks in questing and server queues, everyone complains that they weren't in the first wave. Regardless of the fact that they spelled this out clearly.

They let nearly everyone in...and people complain about server queues.

Isn't this the kind of thing that everyone has said they are used to when a game launches?

Well...nearly everyone is in...so now we have queues.

Sorry..lots of people want to play. It is what it is.

The issue is that Bioware know the amount of people they are letting into per wave, and they also know the amount of players they can have per server. Now i understand that they can't force people to play on a specific server but i do think they should have a slight excess of servers, even now, as there are going to be even more people picking up the game on launch day or just after christmas instead of trying to make it an even balance of servers vs players per wave as it's clearly not enough at the moment.

The last thing they want is to have 10 more servers then they actually need, because then those servers will never have a stable, healthy population, and might need to be removed, which causes problems for all the people on them.

I completely understand where you are coming from but if that were to happen Bioware can always merge servers together to compensate for it.

Edited by DJOllieVee

French speaking Euros: 70million people 10 servers

German speaking Euros: 90million people 15 servers

English speaking Euros: 500million people 20 servers

Total servers: 45

North Americans: 400 million people 65 servers

I think I can do some easy calculations here.

Also Europe have more PC gamers in general then the US which is more console oriented.

Also Europe have more PC gamers in general then the US which is more console oriented.

Good point.

I just think it's pretty poor that the guild assigned servers have not been given space priority at this point and the fact that we've been assigned to a server that could potentially be screwed for a long time.

Maybe i'm wrong and Bloodworthy is all guild members but if it's full now at pre-launch then whats it gonna be like at launch!

I just think it's pretty poor that the guild assigned servers have not been given space priority at this point and the fact that we've been assigned to a server that could potentially be screwed for a long time.

Maybe i'm wrong and Bloodworthy is all guild members but if it's full now at pre-launch then whats it gonna be like at launch!

Agree. Why have a Guild program and then basically screw all those players because those Guilds will be on full servers from the start. Its not like guild members will start playing on a server without their Guildmates/friends. :confused:

I think it is one of the 'predominant' pre-launch guild servers but there is also nothing to stop people from joining who isn't in a guild. Which isn't a bad thing...when there are enough servers to accomodate for everyone.

I think to fix the issue, Bioware are going to have to give people, or atleast some servers, the ability to migrate their characters because like you say imagine what it will be like at launch.

I haven't had an issue with Bioware during the whole beta process but this one is a facepalm moment for such an oversight.

I think that BioWare have put in a lot of effort to try and make things run smoothly, the demand for the game has been unprecedented.

I'm not exactly thrilled about the waved invite system but I can understand why its necessary.

As for the needing more servers issue, "adding new servers" doesn't necessarily mean just switching on ones already made. They may have to go out and build new ones, install the base OS, install the apps (or dump an image on it) configure it, load test it, put it into rotation. So I can completely get why they weren't available to start with.. they may not have even existed at that point in time.

Without seeing their data centres I cannot comment fully but in a lot of DCs there are redundant dummy boxes, so if you increase capacity you also need to increase your fail over capacity. Having worked in large scale ISPs / Content Providers I know the bain of adding more capacity to systems, its not always as clear cut as the end user (all of us) understand it to be.

Basicly there was too few servers from the start. The early servers will continue to be overcrowded for the time being due to the fact that the guilds have no way of easily move to another server and their friends will join those servers in order to play with their friends.

Only ways to solve the problem are either to raise the capacity of the servers (and for some servers its gonna need quite a lot raised) or to allow guilds to migrate to other servers.

Frankly the posts by Bioware stating that people should just play on less crowded servers when it was their system that placed our guilds on these overcrowded servers just pis people off. Sure we can play on a less crowded server, but the whole point of joining as a guild was to play with them. So maybe the community representants should go back to the drawing board with some of those statements.

It's not this simple, you can't just add up the total population and say that's how many servers.

I'm pretty sure that Bioware have exact numbers of pre-orders and where they come from. If the US has more servers, then I would be pretty sure that there are more US pre-orders at this point in time. Bioware aren't going to 'play favourites', they want the smoothest launch possible. Neither are they stupid, or lacking the ability to add up. In short, they have better numbers than us, so I for one will trust they are using those numbers.