PSA/Investigation Request: Fake Players in PvP

JackalBlaze

I apologize if this is any repeat of information, but I have not seen any response and as far as in-game goes many players appear unaware this is currently an issue.

As of the game’s availability on Steam there has been a noticeable increase in suspicious Ai-like behavior in PvP. I don’t know any other term to categorize them other than “Bots”. So I will refer to them as that. (Though I understand sometimes this is used as an insult toward a player that might perform badly.) Perhaps Automation or AFK Scripting would be more appropriate? I should mention that I only play on the Star Forge server and I cannot make any claims they exist on other servers. I also understand that Star Forge as well as Satele Shan were recently under a DDoS attack so it doesn’t seem too far fetched there might be other malicious activity about, even if unrelated. Anyway, these Bots are easy to identify as they often slow walk, sometimes bumping into terrain, and hardly ever attack enemies unless they reach a certain proximity. Even then, they will use a limited number of abilities. It’s evident that they have received updates since they first appeared. At the start, they did not use chat. However recently it’s been discovered that if their name is mentioned it is possible to trigger an automated response. These responses will usually makes no sense and will not relate to the statement or question that mentioned their username. It’s also apparent that their behavior has received updates and they will try to act more appropriate to each game type. For example, in Voidstar they will try to plant the bomb and continue to spam this action until the objective changes, occasionally retaliating against enemy players that attack them. I imagine that perhaps previous iterations have been banned or reported and these updates have been to make them harder to identify.

I do not claim that the Steam launch is responsible for this wave of bots, I simply thought the time frame was worth referencing, given I discovered it as a noticeable concern in recent weeks since. I understand that this is not the first time fakes have been seen in PvP over the years.

I understand there are functions in-game to report such things, but given the uncertainty and limited approaches to the matter I thought it would be productive to at least attempt to bring this to a greater attention. I wouldn’t expect a single post to garner an immediate following, so assuming the inevitability of this post getting buried, I would ask that, at the very least, players be responsible and more alert of suspicious behavior in PvP matches. And share their findings with other players in a mature and respectful manner if it comes to that. I do not encourage and will not be held responsible for witch hunting, please have sufficient evidence before you make any claims, but I know that I would appreciate if another player informed our team if a player in our lobby was not real. I thought over a few times whether it would be appropriate to share the names of HIGHLY suspected (dare I say confirmed) fakes in this post. I decided not to as I do not want to create conflict in PvP or inspire harassment against the suspects (or anyone with a similar name) in the event that I am incorrect.

Thank you for your time, and I hope this matter can receive attention if not from developers in a timely manner, at least more players can be aware.

Edited by JackalBlaze

It your PC enables you, try and record what you are seeing on video and then email it to Bioware so they can take action.

There is a stick thread in this forum section to explain how. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=964857

Thank you for the tip, I will be sure to capture at least one observation for Bioware that hopefully serves as sufficient for further examination at the least.

If anyone else intends to gather any video evidence, I would like to give a brief update, that after a few hours of recent playtime today, observing a suspected bot currently on my watchlist, it has become much less "obvious" than it was only yesterday. Their behavior today is much more convincing of that of a normal player. I guess the culprit is vigilant in improving the script. I'm beginning to believe that use of chat and creative questioning may provide a meaningful, but not absolute, "test" of a suspected individual. In other words, bots don't tend to make callouts or have the ability to reference your text directly. So, if you notice they are near an objective and they don't make callouts as well as not respond correctly if you say something like "If you are real, PlayerB, jump up and down" or even "PlayerB, can you repeat what I said?" you may have a way to confirm your suspicion. Of course this is not fool proof, as there are players that may not speak your language or simply choose not to respond. But it is certainly something to consider before going for a report.

For now, I've not much more to add. I'll refrain from spamming the thread with updates unless something significant comes up.

interesting aside, Ive noticed a lot of times these "players" vanish during a match and if you check combat logs their names don't register. Just a sleazy way for win trade clubs to create fake grps so they can "lose"

The only reason their names won’t be in your combat logs is because you either didn’t attack them or they didn’t attack you.

The combat logs don’t record the whole match if who hit who or did what if you aren’t the target or you are nit targeting them.

I suggest if you suspect such people, you can test what I’ve said by running up and attacking them. At the end of the match you can double check your logs. If there is no name next the stats, then you can claim they aren’t recording and doing something “funny”. Otherwise, all it means is you didn’t interact with them.

I managed to capture some footage and sent it in, while simultaneously trying not to throw my match. My previous reports (no footage) managed to get acknowledged and will be investigated. It did take a number of days, but I don’t think this should detract anyone from sending in any suspicions. Hopefully any deeper “scheme” might be uncovered in time. Though I will not be privy to any results found or not found by the team.

it's a new system implemented by bw to help with the queue :rak_01:

lol. Very realistic explanation, only problem they are so cheap I doubt they would put the resources into such an elaborate bot operation.

OP, is it possible these players are just lazy, actually AFK losers who enter matches, hit a button once here and there just so they don't get booted from the match?

If they are bots, I don't really know why someone would bot PVP, though especially regs. I mean for the behavior to exist there has to be a reason, if they are bots, what is the reason to bot in regs?

lol. Very realistic explanation, only problem they are so cheap I doubt they would put the resources into such an elaborate bot operation.

OP, is it possible these players are just lazy, actually AFK losers who enter matches, hit a button once here and there just so they don't get booted from the match?

If they are bots, I don't really know why someone would bot PVP, though especially regs. I mean for the behavior to exist there has to be a reason, if they are bots, what is the reason to bot in regs?

They might be learning to bot. I came across 2 more in a Hutt Ball match. One was healer slaved to a regular player with tank guarding the healer. At first I thought multiboxing, but I think that would too hard with three different classes.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

They might be learning to bot. I came across 2 more in a Hutt Ball match. One was healer slaved to a regular player with tank guarding the healer. At first I thought multiboxing, but I think that would too hard with three different classes.

Maybe it's just childish people going part AFK, when they hate the map and don't want a deserter debuff?

Maybe it's just childish people going part AFK, when they hate the map and don't want a deserter debuff?

Nah, they were definitely bots and not very well programmed either. Which is why I think the person was learning how to bot. Most probably so they can do it in ranked to cheat the system some how.

That bot (with AFK as part of its name) was very active again in lowbies today. I started to call it out for what it was and it had scripted lines it replied to when ever you use the words bot, cheat or mention its name.

At one point people were trying to vote kick it and the person running it actually took control and played a round properly. Their damage went from being less than 50k to being 500k. It was very apparent that it was a bot by its movements and the way it interacted in different matches and map types.

I have a felling the person doing it is getting it ready to pass for a player in ranked so they can win trade.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

That bot (with AFK as part of its name)

when everyone on the forums says that the guy is an AFKer....

when the guy literally has AFK in his name...

when TrixxieTrixx thinks that it's a bot....

2+2=potato

Edited by septru

when everyone on the forums says that the guy is an AFKer....

when the guy literally has AFK in his name...

when TrixxieTrixx thinks that it's a bot....

2+2=potato

That made absolutely no sense what so ever. We are talking about completely different players and experiences. And considering you weren’t there in any of them, maybe stop judging. I mean, it’s not like you care one bit about other players experiences except to grief them on the forums.

That made absolutely no sense what so ever. We are talking about completely different players and experiences. And considering you weren’t there in any of them, maybe stop judging. I mean, it’s not like you care one bit about other players experiences except to grief them on the forums.

From almost everything you have described, it is clear the player is AFK trolling rather than botting. The term "botting" is the use of computerized mechanics and third party software to complete automated actions. Typically botting is utilized in SWTOR to farm crafting nodes. I think even the credit sellers use a form of botting to spam their credit sites on starter world planets. Botting in pvp is more difficult and infrequent because of the high level of variability. Macroing is a toned down form of botting where players use 1 button to set up a chain of abilities. Macroing in SWTOR pvp is not that helpful because the APM isn't as high. On the whole, while some forms of botting are used in SWTOR, it is almost impossible to use it in PvP. More likely you just met a troll.

Edited by septru

From almost everything you have described, it is clear the player is AFK trolling rather than botting. The term "botting" is the use of computerized mechanics and third party software to complete automated actions. Typically botting is utilized in SWTOR to farm crafting nodes. I think even the credit sellers use a form of botting to spam their credit sites on starter world planets. Botting in pvp is more difficult and infrequent because of the high level of variability. Macroing is a toned down form of botting where players use 1 button to set up a chain of abilities. Macroing in SWTOR pvp is not that helpful because the APM isn't as high. On the whole, while some forms of botting are used in SWTOR, it is almost impossible to use it in PvP. More likely you just met a troll.

I know the difference. If you actually read what I said about the character. You would see I mentioned it’s “auto behaviour”. Which relates to how it moves and how it attacks. The character I am describing in not just going AFK and not participating. It is following a preprogrammed set of instructions.

So stop attacking my posts when you’ve zero idea because you were not there. I’m not even sure you understand the difference between a bot and a player going AFK. And by the way, the only thing that the character has in common with AFK is the there name has those letters in it and that is all.

As for trolls, it seems to less of those in the game than the forums.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I know the difference. If you actually read what I said about the character...

I can read your delusional bot whining posts just fine... can you?

LoL, I actually came across [a bot] in lowbies. A sniper with afk as part of his name.

They might be learning to bot... One was healer slaved to a regular player with tank guarding the healer... I thought multiboxing

Nah, they were definitely bots and not very well programmed either. Which is why I think the person was learning how to bot. Most probably so they can do it in ranked to cheat the system some how.

I started to call it out for what it was and it had scripted lines it replied to when ever you use the words bot, cheat or mention its name.

and my favorite...

At one point people were trying to vote kick it and the person running it actually took control and played a round properly.

Answer me just 1 thing and I will believe everything you claim:

How exactly does a player actually bot to accomplish everything you have described? Scripting? Third party software? Macros?

I personally have no idea how anyone would actually do it by botting. I do, however, know how a troll would do it...

By trolling.

Edited by septru

How exactly does a player actually bot to accomplish everything you have described? Scripting? Third party software? Macros?

I personally have no idea how anyone would actually do it by botting. I do, however, know how a troll would do it...

By trolling.

Troll harder. You have zero idea what a bot is do you? Come back when you learn and we can have a discussion.

Edited by TrixxieTriss