Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Really that is the best idea you can come up with. Aussies new Zealand's and everyone else in the Oceania servers have to suffer because a few people can't do the heroics, flash points when they want to. This is idiotic until the new broadband comes out and gets install everyone on a Australia Internet is going to die in pvp. That is not a solution. Leaving it alone and doing nothing is the solution.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is idiotic until the new broadband comes out and gets install everyone on a Australia Internet is going to die in pvp. That is not a solution. Leaving it alone and doing nothing is the solution.

Even with the National Broadband Network, you'll still die in PVP, because the issue is about latency to the US, not local bandwidth.

playing at 170ms and I BARELY notice any difference , im going to go ahead and say cool story bros, to everyone that claims the ping makes the game unplayable, YET they threaten to quit and go to games WITH the SAME amount of lag, logic.

playing at 170ms and I BARELY notice any difference , im going to go ahead and say cool story bros, to everyone that claims the ping makes the game unplayable, YET they threaten to quit and go to games WITH the SAME amount of lag, logic.

are you a wizard?

playing at 170ms and I BARELY notice any difference , im going to go ahead and say cool story bros, to everyone that claims the ping makes the game unplayable

And I'm getting pings of 300 while on Korriban. And it jumps out another 50 when I'm anywhere near another player. Can't wait to see how it goes when I reach an area that is actually populated. So why would I care that you can barely notice the difference at half my ping?

YET they threaten to quit and go to games WITH the SAME amount of lag, logic.

And different games have different levels of susceptibility to lag because of their engine design and their game play mechanics. TOR is not designed to be played with a high level of lag, its the reason why EA/Bioware delayed the release of the game in Australia until after they had Oceanic servers up.

And different games have different levels of susceptibility to lag because of their engine design and their game play mechanics. TOR is not designed to be played with a high level of lag, its the reason why EA/Bioware delayed the release of the game in Australia until after they had Oceanic servers up.

Excellent point

We're not all on the east coast.

cool story, WoW i get 190ms, aion i get 240ms, Tera i get 230ms(Being FPS based id reckon devs would make reducing lag a priority but nope) and GW2 i get 180ms.

Edited by darthnish

Well said. TOR is the most extreme example of low ping necessity (EC Nightmare inductions, anyone?) whereas other games, such as LOTRO, are much slower paced CC/coordination based games that are very easily playable with high ping. For me, TOR is not playable with the ping I have (at best 300-400 WITH battleping) whereas LOTRO is still very much playable due it's fundamental design difference.

LOTRO is far from the greatest game, but as a lifetime subscriber with a long history there, I have alread returned and unsubbed all my TOR accounts.

cool story, WoW i get 190ms, aion i get 240ms, Tera i get 230ms(Being FPS based id reckon devs would make reducing lag a priority but nope) and GW2 i get 180ms.

And you once again show you have no idea what anyone is talking about. The only way to reduce these pings is to move the servers closer to the customers.

Since not all games take the options of having local servers, the games design takes into account the fact that players could be connecting with higher pings. The engine design for TOR doesn't do this. So while WoW is more than capable of being played at a higher ping, TOR isn't. Its very poorly designed for those situations, especially with the amount of packets it send to get information around.

WoW also has a bucket load of addons that help players with bad pings. The big problem those caused is that now its assumed everyone (even low ping players) are running them, so end game content is designed for players running all these "cheat" mods, which completely defeats the purpose of the mods for high ping players.

Wow you have 1/2 my lag...

But as long as your happy right?

I ran a lvl 50 hm fp last night and the lag is noticeable, not game breaking but i would not like to try to be interrupting the droids on NiM EC! (I'm also at 170ms).

I ran a lvl 50 hm fp last night and the lag is noticeable, not game breaking but i would not like to try to be interrupting the droids on NiM EC! (I'm also at 170ms).

I agree, I also have 170 - 200 ms and it was bad enough levelling to 10 on Harbinger.........I hit "Take Cover" and it feels like an eternity before my Smuggler hits the deck, can't imagine trying to do some serious interrupting in WZs or as you say in EC during the Kephess fight.

I only wish now that I had not experienced lag-free and there had never been local servers /sigh......sometimes ignorance is bliss =/

Bantillian - 50 Slinger [strike Team - MDN]

On the assumption this cost-cutting goes ahead, will we get more than 12 slots on the destination server? For those who had spread across servers?

We had to remind BW we even existed to get 12 slots in the first place, but that was when they decided to ignore us for 7 months - hopefully they're awake this time.

On the assumption this cost-cutting goes ahead, will we get more than 12 slots on the destination server? For those who had spread across servers?

We had to remind BW we even existed to get 12 slots in the first place, but that was when they decided to ignore us for 7 months - hopefully they're awake this time.

I have asked that same question 3 times, twice on tickets and one on forums, none of which have been answered, the tickets were the cut/paste response that everyone is getting from BW about the merge, forum post unanswered.

What they did when the US servers were merged (forced not voluntarty) was to allow you to use all ur toons that had been transferred to the destination server even if that exceeded the 12 slots but if you wanted to create a new toon you would have to delete toons until you were under the cap, ie 11/12.

Although now you can purchase an extra 10 slots (could be wrong on the number) so that you can use all ur toons and create new ones.

What they did when the US servers were merged (forced not voluntarty) was to allow you to use all ur toons that had been transferred to the destination server even if that exceeded the 12 slots but if you wanted to create a new toon you would have to delete toons until you were under the cap, ie 11/12.

Although now you can purchase an extra 10 slots (could be wrong on the number) so that you can use all ur toons and create new ones.

Didn't those mergers allow for 16?

I just wanted to remind every one about the server event this Sunday.

Hi everyone! Information on the server pages has gone out, the schedule for Sunday's event looks like this:

SCHEDULE FOR EVENT

• 5:00PM AEDT - Welcome to APAC

EsKy and Scorpio welcome everyone to Dalborra.

Starting with a no-pants party on the Republic Fleet and then moving to the Imperial Fleet

• 5:10PM AEDT - APAC DISCUSSION

GM's of all the APAC Guilds invited to a Round Table with EsKy and Scorpio to discuss

single APAC Server and merge.

• 5:30PM AEDT - WARZONES!

Pre-50 Warzone Ques on both Imperial and Republic side!

• 6:30PM AEDT - OUTLAWS DEN

Fly yourself or jump in someone else's ship! Lets get all of APAC out to Outlaws Den for:

- Faction Skirmish

- Capture the Flag

- Kill the General

- 1v1 Matches!

• 7:45PM AEDT - BOUNTY HUNT

EsKy is hiding somewhere in the Universe. Scorpio will provide clues through the stream:

The first person to track down EsKy: Wins the Prize!

• 8:00PM AEDT - CANTINA CRAWL

Both Factions as many people as possible going from Planet to Planet, Cantina to Cantina.

Must have at least 2 drinks in each location!

ALL Guild GM's that want to participate in the APAC Discussion: Please send a message to Brusey/Icesis on DALBORRA before 4:00PM SUNDAY 7th APRIL. Include your GUILD Name, Faction, Main Server and number of Guildies.

Hope to see you there!