Tanking with Darkness - A PvE Guide to Darkness Assassins

insaneric

A PvE Guide to Darkness Assassins

Tanking with Darkness

By Fuyri

Introduction

Version

Last Updated: 12th July 2013 - Patch 2.2.2

Full Version on the Suckafish Forums with extra pictures.

Disclaimer

Everything in this guide is subject to change and I will do my best to keep it updated. Tanking is largely about knowing the fights as well as knowing your class and this guide only shows my play style of the PvE Darkness Assassin. If you have any questions or discussion points post in this thread or PM me.

Table of Contents:

Skill Tree

Gearing and Stats

- 1. Target Values

- 2. BiS Gear

- 3. Set Bonus

- 4. Tanking Spreadsheet

Abilities

- 1. Offensive

- 2. Defensive

- 3. Utility

Rotations

- 1. Single Target: Opening

- 2. Single Target: Priority

- 3. Single Target: 10m Range

- 4. AoE

About the Author

I'm Fuyri an Assassin Tank for <Suckafish> since December 2012.

I've been playing SW:TOR since launch and have mained Assassin Tank since joining Suckafish.

My Twitch Stream

My Youtube Channel

Suckafish's Guild Website

Suckafish's Compendium of Class Guides

Skill Tree

There are two optional points in Avoidance (Deception Tree) that reduce the cooldown of your interupt, cc breaker and force sprint, if none of these are needed in a fight you can move the points into Exploitive Strikes (Madness Tree) for a dps increase.

Gearing and Stats

1. Target Values

All target values listed are stimmed, untalented and unbuffed values.

Endurance

Target: 3749

Endurance increases the amount of damage you can suffer before being defeated (Health Pool).

You want to spend available points on defensive stats over endurance because it only increases your TTL and not mitigation. A certain amount of endurance however is required to avoid getting 1 shot but you will obtain this by just using the BiS gear.

Shield Chance

Target: 940

Increases the chance that incoming energy or kinetic attacks will be reduced by your shield.

This is the least efficient of the defensive stats, but is present on all tanking gear.

Absorption

Target: 1193

Increases the percentage of damage prevented when an attack is absorbed by your shield.

This is the most efficient defensive stat for assassin tanks due to the extra 20% shield chance obtained through dark ward.

Defence Chance

Target: 462

Increases the chance to avoid incoming ranged and melee attacks.

Another great defensive stat, however unlike shielding attacks this only works on white damage and not tech/force attacks

Accuracy and Alacrity

Target: 0

While these stats can be found on some tanking gear they are terrible you should not have any.

2. BiS Gear

Armoring & Hilt

Advanced Force Wielder Armoring 34

Advanced Force Wielder Hilt 34

Mods

Advanced Reinforced Mod 34B

Advanced Robust Mod 34B

Enhancements

Advanced Bastion Enhancement 34

Advanced Bulwark Enhancement 34

Earpiece

Dread Forged Survivor's Device

Implants

Dread Forged Survivor's MK-X Package

Relics

Dread Forged Relic of Reactive Warding

Dread Forged Relic of the Fortunate Redoubt

Augments

Advanced Absorb Augment 28

Advanced Redoubt Augment 28

Stim

Prototype Nano-Infused Fortitude Stim

Ask Mr Robot

My Target Gear

3. Set Bonus

PvE Survivor - 4 Piece

(2) Increases shield chance by an additional 5% during Dark Ward or Kinetic Ward.

(4) Increases Elemental, Internal, Kinetic and Energy damage reduction by 2%.

Keeping this set bonus is usually more important that the armor and stats provided by a better tier of gear.

4. Tanking Spreadsheet

The Thread

The Spreadsheet

If you want to see the calculations behind my decisions, wish to test it for yourself or calculate BiS values for a different tier of gear you can check out my tanking spreadsheet.

Abilites

1. Offensive

Wither

This is your main threat generation move that you use roughly on cooldown. Also grants a stack of Harnessed Darkness.

Force: 20

Cooldown: 9s

Range: 10 m

Causes up to 5 targets to wither under the weight of the Force, dealing kinetic damage, decreasing the damage all targets deal by 5%, and slowing the movement speed of all targets by 30%. Does not damage sleeping, lifted, or incapacitated enemies. This ability generates a high amount of threat. Lasts 15 seconds.

Discharge

Use this mainly for the debuff. It also provides reasonable threat.

Force: 20

Unleashes your current lightsaber charge upon the target, applying an effect based on your current charge. Only usable with a charged lightsaber. Requires a double-bladed lightsaber or electrostaff.

Dark Charge: Strikes up to 5 nearby enemies, dealing internal damage and decreasing the targets' melee and ranged accuracy by 5% for the next 30 seconds. Generates a high amount of threat. Puts Discharge on cooldown for 6.

Shock

The other ability that grants a stack of Harnessed Darkness. One of your higher dps moves.

Force: 45

Cooldown: 6s

Shocks the target for energy damage.

Force Lightning

You only use this when at 3 stacks of Harnessed Darkness to get bonus damage and a self heal.

Force: 30

Deals energy damage to the target over the duration of the effect. Also slows the movement speed of the target by 50%.

Thrash

Your filler move that also grants procs for your shock and maul.

Force: 25

Range: 4 m

Strikes the target twice. Each hit deals weapon damage.

Maul

This is used as a filler instead of thrash when the facestab buff is active. Whenever using this you must think of

Force: 50

Deals weapon damage to a single target. Only usable from behind the target. Requires a double-bladed lightsaber or electrostaff.

Assassinate

This is your execute, it replaces thrash as a filler when the target is less than 30% health.

Force: 25

Attempts to assassinate the target, dealing weapon damage. Only usable on targets at or below 30% max health.

Saber Strike

Your "Auto Attack" only to be used whenever low on force.

Deals weapon damage spread across a flurry of 3 melee attacks.

Recklessness

Use this in your opener and whenever it's available. Make sure one of the two charges acts towards a Harnessed Darkness Force Lightning for maximum dps.

Cooldown: 90s

Grants 2 charges of Recklessness, which increases the Force critical chance of your direct attacks and heals by 60% and increases the range of Force Lightning to 30 meters. Each time a direct Force ability critically hits or you activate Force Lightning, you lose 1 charge. Lasts 20 seconds.

2. Defensive

Dark Charge

This is your lightsaber charge for tanking, make sure it's toggled on at all times.

Force: 100

Charges your lightsaber with dark energy, giving your attacks a 50% chance to drain life force from the target, dealing 594 internal damage and healing you for 832. This effect cannot occur more than once every 4.5 seconds. Increases your armor rating by 115%, shield chance by 15% and threat generation by 100%. While active, melee bonus damage is reduced by 5%. Requires a double-bladed lightsaber or electrostaff. Does not break Stealth.

Dark Ward

You want to keep this buff active constantly while also refreshing it at the last possible moment, either as the last stack is lost or as it times out. You gain an extra 5% shield chance with the 2set bonus making it 20% total.

Cooldown: 15s

Surrounds you in a dark ward with 15 charges that increases your shield chance by 15% for 20 seconds. Each time you successfully shield, Dark Ward loses 1 charge. Does not break Stealth.

Force Shroud

Immunity to force and tech attacks, 5s with the "Disjunction" talent. This is a situational cooldown that can be either increadible or useless. It can also act as a self cleanse if needed.

Cooldown: 60s

Removes all hostile removable effects and increases your chance to resist Force and tech attacks by 100% for 3 seconds. Does not break Stealth.

Deflection

A great cooldown against ranged or melee damage. Again situation so make sure it's not wasted.

Cooldown: 120s

Increases your ranged and melee defenses by 50% for 12 seconds. Requires a melee weapon.

Overcharge Saber

Your best multipurpose cooldown. A self heal and grants 25% damage reduction from the talent "Hollow".

Cooldown: 120s

Overcharges your lightsaber charge for 15 seconds, immediately restoring 15% of your max health, increasing the damage and healing dealt by all Charges by 100%, and increasing the chance to trigger their effects by 35%. Requires a double-bladed lightsaber or electrostaff.

Exotech Absorb Adrenal

This is the best available adrenal, it's a good effect but has a huge cooldown.

Cooldown: 240s

Increases Armor by 1675 for 15 seconds. (1500 for reusable version).

3. Utility

Phase Walk

With the talent "Assassin's Shelter" you can place this where your healers will be standing to grant them a 5% bonus to healing done.

Cooldown: 45s

Activating this ability marks your current location for 120 seconds. When this ability is activated again, if you are within 60 meters of the marked location, you instantly return to the marked location. When returning to the marked location or when the effect ends, Phase Walk goes on cooldown for 45 seconds. Does not break stealth.

Force Speed

A speed boost to help you move around the fight (help kite/re-position).

Cooldown: 20s (15s with the talent "Avoidance")

Increases movement speed by 150% for 2 seconds. Does not break Stealth.

Force Pull

Use this for a high threat start. Also useful for re-positioning trash mobs.

Range: 30 m

Uses the Force to draw the target in, instantly pulling it to your location and generating a high amount of threat. Does not work against targets in cover.

Stealth

You can enter stealth mode. This helps setting up your phase walk and initial positioning. You can also stealth res in very specific situations.

Jolt

Your interrupt. If you see an enemy cast bar and you can interrupt it you should.

Cooldown: 12s (10s with the talent "Avoidance")

Interrupts the target's current action and prevents that ability from being used for 4 seconds.

Unbreakable Will

Your CC breaker, use whenever you are stunned.

Cooldown: 120s (90s with the talent "Avoidance")

Summons the unbreakable will of the Sith, immediately freeing you of all incapacitating and movement-impairing effects.

Taunts

Use to gain/regain aggro or as part of your rotation to gain threat.

Mind Control

Cooldown: 15s

Range: 30 m

Controls the mind of the target, forcing it to attack you for 6 seconds. Player targets deal 30% less damage when attacking anyone other than you. Lasts 6 seconds. This effect cannot be resisted.

Mass Mind Control

Forces all enemies within 15 meters to attack you for 6 seconds. Player targets deal 30% less damage when attacking anyone other than you. Lasts 6 seconds. Does not break Stealth. This effect cannot be resisted.

Rotations

1. Single Target: Opening

A good opening for a tank is one that gives you great initial threat while enabling you to get and keep all your important buffs/debuffs active.

Each point here represents a Global Cooldown (GCD), as some abilities are off the GCD you can cast them at the same time and in this situation they'll fall under the point but you should click the first (or top) one first. The taunts listed in the openings are also optional and should be used when wanting extra early threat at the risk of not having the taunt available while it's on cooldown.

The Start

1. Dark Ward & Force Pull

2. Wither

3. Discharge (& Taunt)

4. Shock

5. Thrash

What happens next depends on which procs you get.

If Energize procs:

1. Shock

2. Recklessness & Force Lightning

3. Wither (& AoE Taunt)

If no Energize procs:

Thrash again or if "Conspirator's Cloak" procs use Maul. Then check again for the energize proc.

If 2 attacks without an Energize proc:

1. Recklessness & Wither

2. Force Lightning

3. Shock (& AoE Taunt)

These choices ensure that the charges of recklessness should be used on Force Lightning and Wither for maximum threat.

After this point you'd go into the Single Target: Priority system.

2. Single Target: Priority

The easiest way to look at the Assassin rotation is a priority system. If point 1 is available/needed you hit that move if not go down the list until an option is availiable.

This priority give good threat, keeps your buffs/debuffs active and provides optimal self healing.

1. Check Dark Ward buff is active.

2. Check Discharge's Accuracy Debuff if on the target.

3. If you have 3 stacks of Harnessed Darkness use Force Lightning.

4. Use Wither.

5. Use Shock.

6. Assassinate if the target is below 30% health.

7. Maul if Conspirator's Cloak proc is active.

8. Thrash if you have >35 force.

9. Saber Strike if you have <35 force.

3. Single Target: 10m Range

There are some specific situations when it's best to stay at 10m distance from your target, This will not allow use of any of your melee moves but there are a couple of others you can use to fill the gaps. Here is the altered priority system.

2. Check Discharge's Accuracy Debuff if on the target.

4. Use Wither.

5. Use Shock.

6. Use Discharge.

7. Use Overload (only use this if all targets it will hit are immune to CC).

8. Use Force Slow.

9. Use Electrocute.

Optional. Use Crushing Darkness. This is optional as you may suffer from pushback when casting making it the less effective than it originally looks.

4. AoE

When Tanking multiple opponents within a small area you want to prioritize your AoE moves (Wither and Discharge) over the rest of your rotation. Holding aggro is more difficult in this situation so maximizing threat is more important than getting the highest self healing possible. Here's the new priority system.

4. Use Wither.

2. Use Discharge.

5. Use Shock.

6. Lacerate[/b for an almost guaranteed refresh on shock.

While tanking multiple targets you will want to tab target through the different mobs and share your single target attacks around while ensuring that your AoEs hit as many as possible. If you ever see a target's focus target not as you (or another tank) then you can use a taunt.

It's also important to watch for any mobs running away after other people. If you see this target it and use either Force Pull or a taunt to bring it back. Ideally you also don't want have to move to pick it up as this will make it more difficult for dps.

Edited by insaneric

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally speaking I've found a lot more success using the Exotech armor adrenal rather than the new absorb one, it's a slightly worse version of overcharge saber, which helps mitigate those huge spike periods we experience so often. Secondly, for AOE threat when dealing with a large amount of adds you need to hold agro on (Warrior phase in EC comes to mind) two lacerates will generate about as much threat as a single ability so on 3+ targets it tends to be worth it to spam between wither and discharge cd's. Other than that, very solid guide. Something to consider adding is use of cd's for those new to tanking/assassins, force shroud works on a lot of things people won't expect.

Personally speaking I've found a lot more success using the Exotech armor adrenal rather than the new absorb one, it's a slightly worse version of overcharge saber, which helps mitigate those huge spike periods we experience so often. Secondly, for AOE threat when dealing with a large amount of adds you need to hold agro on (Warrior phase in EC comes to mind) two lacerates will generate about as much threat as a single ability so on 3+ targets it tends to be worth it to spam between wither and discharge cd's. Other than that, very solid guide. Something to consider adding is use of cd's for those new to tanking/assassins, force shroud works on a lot of things people won't expect.

Both adrenals are reasonable depending on the situation. The new absorb one has higher average mitigation whereas the old armor one is a flat damage reduction. I'll use the new one 99% of the time but if there's a mechanic like "NiM Operation's Chief - Terminate" that can just about 1 shot assassin tanks then the armor one's a better choice.

I'm going to test out lacerate when I get a chance and will come back to you on that.

My plan for my next guide will be a general tanking guide which will include some boss analysis of what attacks are which type and when you should use cooldowns for greatest effect. So i'm going to just leave it as what type of damage is mitigated for each cooldown as I think listing all the situations it's useful in would be a lot of clutter.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do those ephemeral relics proc off our self heals? I just came back after some time away and am about to buy a new relic. Thanks

Yes it does work off your self heals. However I would recommend the Relic of the Fortunate Redoubt for your first relic and then if you're comfortable with a clicky relic take the Relic of Imperiling Serenity else go with the Relic of Shield Amplification.

about the adrenals, I am currently using the Artifice Crew Skill set up on my Assassin (I know, probably not the best crew skill to use on an Assassin, but it gets me the Hilts and Enhancements for a lot cheaper than if I had to buy them). So I was wondering, is it possible to get the adrenals you mentioned without having to have Biochem as a trained crew skill?

about the adrenals, I am currently using the Artifice Crew Skill set up on my Assassin (I know, probably not the best crew skill to use on an Assassin, but it gets me the Hilts and Enhancements for a lot cheaper than if I had to buy them). So I was wondering, is it possible to get the adrenals you mentioned without having to have Biochem as a trained crew skill?

Yes, the Prototype Nano-Infused Fortitude Stim listed in the guide is the non-reusable, non-biochem requiring stim that is made by a biochemist but can be traded, mailed or sold on the GTN.

There is also a version of the old armor adrenal that doesn't require biochem.

Check your GTN, ask a friend, post a WTB in gen chat or level an alt with biochem to obtain them.

I believe KBN did the numbers on the exotech to nano adrenals. Here it is http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=650014

I'll have to look at those numbers as far as mitigation goes, it's not inline with what I have seen from keyboard or dip's posts on the subject. but those are only subject for SV.

Other than that both seem to be pretty damn accurate. Rotation is slightly different from myself, but everything else is spot on, good job ^ ^

Oh and If I could suggest how are you getting to those mitigation numbers via gearing kell dragon? askmrrobot would be a big help in the gearing section.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/5a139763-356d-44bd-be66-9db75c3eb687 was the cloest I could get to those target numbers. 13 absorb and 1 redoubt augments and one bastion enhancement to replace the accuracy/defense in the gloves.

or this http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/ec789af2-d874-4d6f-bbc3-dc0590f61c71 13 absorb and 1 redoubt with a need for an extra reinforced mod and a bulwark enhancmeent.

Edited by mastirkal

I believe KBN did the numbers on the exotech to nano adrenals. Here it is http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=650014

I'll have to look at those numbers as far as mitigation goes, it's not inline with what I have seen from keyboard or dip's posts on the subject. but those are only subject for SV.

Other than that both seem to be pretty damn accurate. Rotation is slightly different from myself, but everything else is spot on, good job ^ ^

Oh and If I could suggest how are you getting to those mitigation numbers via gearing kell dragon? askmrrobot would be a big help in the gearing section.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/5a139763-356d-44bd-be66-9db75c3eb687 was the cloest I could get to those target numbers. 13 absorb and 1 redoubt augments and one bastion enhancement to replace the accuracy/defense in the gloves.

or this http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/ec789af2-d874-4d6f-bbc3-dc0590f61c71 13 absorb and 1 redoubt with a need for an extra reinforced mod and a bulwark enhancmeent.

Thanks for the post.

I looked over the numbers just and agree with KeyboardNinja's post about adrenals. I'll update my guide.

I also had the wrong mod listed /facepalm it should be the 33B versions that are my choice for BiS.

Here's a list to my askmrrobot BiS character - http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/5446d5ae-6482-4c5a-8d78-20cae0ad3f70

Will probably have it updated by tomorrow, can't do it straight away as I'm about to raid.

Your askmrrobot is bugged. Your mitigation budget is 2539 [which even in all underworld gear should actually be 2500 on the number] when it should be 2383 because you are using B mods instead of high mitigation.

450 mit from mods

854 mit from enhancements

448 mit from augments

561 mit from ear/imp

70 mit from stim

equals 2383 mit

compared to

567 mit from mods

854 mit from enhancements

448 mit from augments

561 mit from ear/imp

70 mit from stim

equals 2500

I'm more inclined to use non lettered because of two reasons.

1 All underworld gear comes with non lettered and are much easier to obtain in the long run as it isn't RNG

2. You still get 39.8k HP with full non lettered.

3. You get 117 more mitigation

EDIT I *********** hate askmrrobot sometimes. When you actually add up the numbers it's way off from what should be possible.

Edited by mastirkal

I know this is a Shadow's gear list, but this is the BiS gear list that Dipstik over on the Tanking Forums lists for Assassins and Shadows: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/f86459f4-c432-4ad4-b89c-c5fb537676fb

Would you say that his list is better or worse than your list?

I can answer that. Because dipstick is using numbers solely from SV being 21/79 spread whereas fuyri's is more inclined to both NiM TfB and SV.

you never really answered my question, which is better as the guide to what is BiS?

You asked why this would be better, the answer is in an overall stance he takes in both TfB and SV while dipstick only takes in number from SV. His spread is accounting for such and will do better for both, dipsticks will however be hands down better for SV while much worse for TfB.

Edited by mastirkal

You asked why this would be better, the answer is in an overall stance he takes in both TfB and SV while dipstick only takes in number from SV. His spread is accounting for such and will do better for both, dipsticks will however be hands down better for SV while much worse for TfB.

Oh, so then the one from this thread is better overall? I suppose it would be advisable to have both gear set ups, that way I can use one while doing Scum and Villainy, and the other while doing Terror From Beyond. Which is better for the other Operations?

Edited by XantosCledwin

Oh, so then the one from this thread is better overall?

The number from his post take both into account. It's a better build all around. You'll perform SV very well in dipsticks build, but rather weak in TfB. This one would be like saying you'll be above average in SV and above average in TfB.

It's not too difficult to change from one build to another, only really need to swap around a number of augments to get the ideal numbers.

Edited by mastirkal

When comparing the differences between mine and Dipstick's gearing choice the small difference in absorb and defense is less important than the choice to take 33B mods (mine) over 33 mods (Dipstick).

I feel 24 endurance is worth dropping 13 defense/absorb.

This is a choice that can't be fully conveyed through numbers and my decision was based off experience and knowing the fights.

Also for HM S&V I'd still go with the slightly higher absorb and lower defense (Like my gear) that I calculated for an overall split as it weights the bosses in terms of difficulty and Styrak (hardest HM S&V boss) has higher force damage hence a bit more absorb is good.

When comparing the differences between mine and Dipstick's gearing choice the small difference in absorb and defense is less important than the choice to take 33B mods (mine) over 33 mods (Dipstick).

I feel 24 endurance is worth dropping 13 defense/absorb.

This is a choice that can't be fully conveyed through numbers and my decision was based off experience and knowing the fights.

They actually did do the math to calculate the trade value of Endurance in detail**. Unfortunately it is very much tied to Boss DPS, which for S&V has a wide range from boss to boss. The average number is IIRC 2.5:1. But I myself adjust this to suit my tastes in tanking. I use about 50/50 mix of B and U-L mods.

** Will prolly take me a while....but once I find the actual post, I will link it.

Your mitigation numbers are not possible with B or even unlettered mods. Your stat budget should be 3383 and I posted above how I got to that total while askmrrobot is currently inaccurate in its ability at basic arithmetic.

The numbers are correct.

Mods: 50*9=450

Enhancements 36*7=252

Augments 32*14=448

Relics 36+120=156

Ear/Implants 101*3=303

Stim 70

Total Def/Absorb = 1679

Total Shield = 10*86=860

Total Mitigation Budget = 2536

You may be missing that I use an Elite War Hero Relic

Edited by insaneric

The difference between all 33 mods and 33B mods is

33 mods - extra 0.46% mitigation

33B mods - extra 2258 health

From my experience in operations I would take this amount of health over that amount of mitigation.

Damn it, completely spaced on relics. Forget the defensive proc gives 36 static defense at kell dragon level. As for 0.47% totaled mitigation compared to 2.2k HP it's honestly a matter of opinion. Overall I believe you'll preform better with non lettered mods as there will be a lessen on overall incoming damage, minute obviously, but still present enough to preform better in a long fight, while higher hp wpuld be best for trash and shorter boss fights.The difference though is so small I see it as a choice more than one being worse than another.

Honestly I think I'm just stuck loving my sin tank being a mitigation king rather than a bigger HP pool.

That's fair enough but if u want a mitigation tank you may aswell play a Jugg or a PT.

I find that on the occasions I die it's usually because I'm bursted rather than slowly taking damage over a long period of time so the endurance is a clear choice for me.