Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mouseover Healing

MasterJediGrim
04.18.2012 , 04:06 PM | #341
Still Leveling my toon can't wait to get to 50, played wow for 4 years and loved healbot. yes it makes the game more easier in raid. the Healing job is important and Having to click one button to target, one button to heal when instead press on characters name heal them takes less time and makes the raid leaders job alot easier. I have also Dps'd one shaman and feral druid and when you do not have to change your target every couple seconds is alot easier than healing. One other thing i would like to see is the option (originally was a little addon in wow until the implemented it later) the ability to right click a spell and cast it on myself, instead of clicking my name healing my self, shielding myself etc. than click back on target that needs heals then cast again thats 3 clicks to do that instaead if you right click its Cast on Target, Right Click your Self, Heal Target Again much easier. otherwise love the game so far.

malangus
04.11.2014 , 06:59 PM | #342
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I want to share something about the mouse over heal.

First, while many players in WoW used an addon that provided elegant group layout with the convenience of mouse over heal, an addon is not needed at least for the mouse over part. My last run in WoW after taking an absence from SWTOR a couple of months ago, I end up using an UI for the gui layout (always hated wow defaults). But instead of using healing addons, I just simply used macros to change the skill I was using and depending on if the target (mouseover) was friendly, or not. The best, is that unless those primitive mouse over functions were changed (very rarely), with that approach I do not have to worry by addon breakage on patches.

Another thing, the mouseover healing action in itself provides faster healing than the 2 clicks method: click to select, click to cast. It can easy be a second difference. In dps, a second is nothing. In healing can mean a party/ops member is dead.

DarthSpekulatius
04.14.2014 , 03:53 AM | #343
Quote: Originally Posted by malangus View Post
Another thing, the mouseover healing action in itself provides faster healing than the 2 clicks method: click to select, click to cast. It can easy be a second difference. In dps, a second is nothing. In healing can mean a party/ops member is dead.
I usually target my next target during the GCD/Cast and I hope you mean Key-press in the underlined section because healing simply doesn't work if you need to move your mouse to activate Abilities, you need your mouse to select targets.

if you indeed do click your Abilities with your Mouse that explains why you think it sucks.

slafko
04.18.2014 , 02:50 AM | #344
Quote: Originally Posted by malangus View Post
I find healing in this game rather boring and very easy. Because, for the most part, you know who's going to get hit. This knowledge leads to predictability and overhealing in anticipation of incoming damage. To make matters worse, GCD is long and cast times are even longer. To make matters terrible, there are only a few skills you'll ever use as a healer.

The only thing that makes healing somewhat interesting is people derping around - dps standing in aoe, tanks not wearing shields and other healers feeding their cats.
I see their R2 droid and I grab it. No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit!

Elfa
04.20.2014 , 07:23 AM | #345
Anyone who has an MMO mouse or the like can easily get close to mouse over healing.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

DecoyThree
06.01.2014 , 10:27 PM | #346
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpekulatius View Post
I usually target my next target during the GCD/Cast and I hope you mean Key-press in the underlined section because healing simply doesn't work if you need to move your mouse to activate Abilities, you need your mouse to select targets.

if you indeed do click your Abilities with your Mouse that explains why you think it sucks.
His post is confusing, but I think it's safe to assume he meant keypress. Mouse-over targeting wouldn't work if he were clicking his skills, as he'd have no target.

I have to say, mouse-over targeting is a huge QoL improvement, and I'm very disappointed that it's not available in this game.

Gardimuer
06.05.2014 , 02:14 PM | #347
Quote: Originally Posted by DecoyThree View Post
His post is confusing, but I think it's safe to assume he meant keypress. Mouse-over targeting wouldn't work if he were clicking his skills, as he'd have no target.

I have to say, mouse-over targeting is a huge QoL improvement, and I'm very disappointed that it's not available in this game.
I'd disagree, based on my experiences with mouse-over targeting in Tera. That style of healing is certainly more engaging than the whack-a-mole method of selecting based on raid frames that SWTOR has...

But it also causes more delay between ability activations (since you have to find the person on your screen first, and if they are running away from your cursor then that gets twice as annoying). Mouse-over targeting is also inefficient if you have everyone stacking close together, since in that case there would a high probability that your carefully aimed heal will lock onto someone else instead.

gaalon
06.17.2014 , 05:27 AM | #348
so let me get this right... after 3 years SWTOR still doesn't offer any mouse-over healing without the player using 3rd party tools and/or gaming hardware? is this simply due to utter incompetence on the part of the developers or do the devs simply have shares from Logitech/Razor or what exactly is the effing issue?

I mean, how hard could it be guys? You managed to implement your cash shop in-game to sell your players two extra action bars (btw. I don't think I've ever heard of something quite as despicable as this in my entire life - first design a UI that is so utterly terrible that it wouldn't have made it into an early beta version of WOW and then have the nerve to turn around and SELL people two extra action bars... have you got no shame? ) so surely a macro system or at the very least a simple mouse-over option can't be too much to ask, no?

i hope you feel duly ashamed BW!

Kufuffelupagus
06.17.2014 , 09:06 PM | #349
Quote: Originally Posted by gaalon View Post
so let me get this right... after 3 years SWTOR still doesn't offer any mouse-over healing without the player using 3rd party tools and/or gaming hardware? is this simply due to utter incompetence on the part of the developers or do the devs simply have shares from Logitech/Razor or what exactly is the effing issue?
It's due to the fact that plenty of people clear the hardest content without any mouse-over healing. It's not needed. Use keybinds.

I mean, how hard could it be guys? You managed to implement your cash shop in-game to sell your players two extra action bars (btw. I don't think I've ever heard of something quite as despicable as this in my entire life
Subscribers get all the bars free, and players are free to re-design their UI. I've always thought F2P people demanding everything be available to them while they don't pay anything towards the game pretty despicable- but maybe it's just me.

I hope you feel as silly as you look to me.

Cidanel
06.26.2014 , 10:46 AM | #350

I mean, how hard could it be guys? You managed to implement your cash shop in-game to sell your players two extra action bars (btw. I don't think I've ever heard of something quite as despicable as this in my entire life - first design a UI that is so utterly terrible that it wouldn't have made it into an early beta version of WOW and then have the nerve to turn around and SELL people two extra action bars... have you got no shame? ) so surely a macro system or at the very least a simple mouse-over option can't be too much to ask, no?

I sincerely hope they never add the ability to use 3rd party tools or mouseover healing. One of the major things SWTOR has over WoW or Rift is that you CAN'T use macros/moseover/etc. It prevents raids from being so mind numbingly boring that you can blindly smash your macros and feel 'l33t' about clearing difficult content.

Mouseover healing is to regular healing as Kuat Drive Yards is to regular grouped content. Both need to be out of the game for good.