Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Make capes static

dakemon
04.07.2020 , 12:00 PM | #1
Please Bioware there are still a lot of people who still haven't given up on this game including me. I'm tired of the capes clipping through the players and NPCs for no reason so a simple fix to this is to just make the bloody capes static.

xordevoreaux
04.07.2020 , 12:07 PM | #2
It's not a matter if the capes are animated or static.

The cape's geometry is set, even if that geometry is moving or not moving, and there's no programming in the world that can evaluate what else a character is wearing (armor, weapons) in regards to the position of that cape, so you're going to get clipping.

The only way for it to work is if the cape's overall shape is so far away from the body that it can't possibly clip anything that's worn, and that would look totally stupid.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

SteveTheCynic
04.07.2020 , 01:11 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by dakemon View Post
Please Bioware there are still a lot of people who still haven't given up on this game including me. I'm tired of the capes clipping through the players and NPCs for no reason so a simple fix to this is to just make the bloody capes static.
Do you think they should make the capes *rigid*? Like wearing a plank of wood?
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
I never had a Fine Mithril Sword of a very powerful glorious invincible hero scout with ruby inlays and platinum engraving in June language

SteveTheCynic
04.07.2020 , 01:18 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
The cape's geometry is set, even if that geometry is moving or not moving, and there's no programming in the world that can evaluate what else a character is wearing (armor, weapons) in regards to the position of that cape, so you're going to get clipping.
That's nonsense. Of course they can calculate the animation of a flexible object like a cape so that it doesn't collide with prodtruding armour and lumpy belts and your character's body and stuff like that. Stuff like Poser's Dynamic Cloth or DAZ Studio's d-Force clothing show that such calculation can be done.

What's a little harder is doing it in real time as your character moves without sacrificing precision of movement to the extent that the algorithm gets confused and lets the cape / skirt / etc. get embedded in your character.

(From that, you should gather that SWTOR already knows how to do the necessary calculations, but (probably) its spatial resolution is too coarse for it to work correctly.)
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
I never had a Fine Mithril Sword of a very powerful glorious invincible hero scout with ruby inlays and platinum engraving in June language

jedimasterjac
04.07.2020 , 02:27 PM | #5
Why do you think that the players holding on to the success of this game are all vested in the clipping of capes? lol
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

xordevoreaux
04.07.2020 , 05:28 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
That's nonsense. Of course they can calculate the animation of a flexible object like a cape so that it doesn't collide with prodtruding armour and lumpy belts and your character's body and stuff like that. Stuff like Poser's Dynamic Cloth or DAZ Studio's d-Force clothing show that such calculation can be done.

What's a little harder is doing it in real time as your character moves without sacrificing precision of movement to the extent that the algorithm gets confused and lets the cape / skirt / etc. get embedded in your character.

(From that, you should gather that SWTOR already knows how to do the necessary calculations, but (probably) its spatial resolution is too coarse for it to work correctly.)

The capes we have now are dynamic in how they move but irrespective of other objects. Adding collision detection isn't practical even if possible.

Real-time calculations won't work in this game for capes. Who sees the calculation, just the player, or the clients of the hundred players around that person with the cape? I could just see standing on fleet.

At what point does one's processor melt with everyone running around with cloaks and capes and various pieces of geometry (jet packs, back-slotted dual sabers, etc.) to calculate around so that no one sees clipping anywhere, either on themselves or others? Not happening. Not here.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

KendraP
04.07.2020 , 05:32 PM | #7
I mean I do wish they could at least deal with the clipping through my character issue. But that is like item 1,000,000 on the list of grievances.

RowanThursday
04.08.2020 , 12:59 AM | #8
So, occasionally your cloak gets caught up and sort of wrapped through your waist rather than hanging freely down your back?

It happens. Just open the appearance designer section on your character tab, toggle to another outfit for a second and back, and it'll resolve.
"... Pointless meatbag bickering."
-- HK-55

DarkTergon
04.08.2020 , 06:28 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by RowanThursday View Post
So, occasionally your cloak gets caught up and sort of wrapped through your waist rather than hanging freely down your back?

It happens. Just open the appearance designer section on your character tab, toggle to another outfit for a second and back, and it'll resolve.

most of the time i ignore this, doesn't really bother me, but i've one particular chest piece with a hood, where in cut scenes the hood elongates out about 3 feet from the top, can be quite funny when it looks like it's cutting through peoples heads
You know you can't fix an idiot, turns out you can't quarantine them either!!!
Feel free to click the link and get all the usual goodies
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ