Just bring it back in 6.0(Expertise)

Yamahara

I'm talking about PvP gear. BioWare getting rid of it in the first place was a mistake that caused a huge drop in the PvP community. It took what, a day of PvP'ing to get a set of the base gear? A day or two after that to min/max; Then maybe a month to grind, and min/max to have a set of ranked gear. I would take that day or so grind any day over having to do Ossus dailies, and who know's what in 6.0. Also bring back 8v8 ranked(solo/group), and a reg arena queue so player's interested in arena's can get some practice in. :rolleyes:

I've been playing swtor in 230s for giggles for the last 3 weeks... this forum is going to full of so much salt when the ranked players roll out in regs in BiS. it's actually not going to be funny, it's going to be sickening. but you guys keep believing bolster is gear, and it will save pvp. Edited by Seterade

I've been playing swtor in 230s for giggles for the last 3 weeks... this forum is going to full of so much salt when the ranked players roll out in regs in BiS. it's actually not going to be funny, it's going to be sickening. but you guys keep believing bolster is gear, and it will save pvp.

They’ve said every one will be bolstered to max gear lvl, not under it. At the moment Bolster isn’t set at that level. It is set at 252 instead of 258.

I think you’ll find the only BiS will be getting your secondary stats right, using the correct tactical’s and set bonuses and possibly having the highest Augments.

The gap between highest and lowest gear lvl will still be there under Bolster, but it will be tiny in comparison and skill will be more of a dominating factor than it’s been in years.

As an example, look at Bolster when 5.0 was first released and gear was all set to max or above before they nerfed it. That is how I expect 6.0 to be.

it has nothing to do with stats.

it has to do with dmg reduction during dcds. it is something you need to experience. and I am well aware of bolster being 252, not 258. most peopple in regs do not have 140k hp, however most have 135k, and it is those that you find cut through dcds like they arent there. players much better than I know about it, and so do I now after goofing off in 230s. bolster screws with dcd damage reduction when attacked by non bolstered weapon dmg. there is a reason you dont go into solo ranked in 230s. bolster or no.

Edited by Seterade

it has nothing to do with stats.

it has to do with dmg reduction during dcds. it is something you need to experience. and I am well aware of bolster being 252, not 258. most peopple in regs do not have 140k hp, however most have 135k, and it is those that you find cut through dcds like they arent there. players much better than I know about it, and so do I now after goofing off in 230s. bolster screws with dcd damage reduction when attacked by non bolstered weapon dmg. there is a reason you dont go into solo ranked in 230s. bolster or no.

What main hand weapons are you using and what are they using because we know that Main hand at the moment isn’t covered properly under Bolster (but off hand is and you can test this on a training dummy). If that is the same in 6.0, then I’ll agree that BiS weapons will play a large part.

The rest of the gear is covered under Bolster. Test out what I’m saying and only swap to a 252 or 258 weapon and keep the rest 230 and you’ll see what I mean.

You can test it further with Augments and empty Augment slots as they are by default 236 Mastery if there are none equiped. If you see someone with 228 Mastery Augments, you know 100% they are gimping themselves.

The only Augments that should be used are if you need secondary stats to balance, otherwise leave them empty because equipping even 236 Mastery to only use in pvp is a also a waste of credits.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

i assume i can use some gear pieces with empty and and some with filled augment slots together for bolstering the empty ones?

do i need to install an augment slot at all for bolster?

this and the way how you aquire gear could be reasons to get expertise gear back

ELSE a stickied thread "how bolster works (not works) at the moment and what this means for regs gearing" could help

manipulating bolster for stat gain is considered exploiting. I suppose you weren't around for 5.0 launch when dvl exp gear had 150k hp and everyone else was at 130k. (bolster was 250 then)

soon as it became known, bioware swooped in and nerfed dvl gear into the ground. it is currently the worst bolster gear for any instance, from planets, fps, wzs and/or operations.

Edited by Seterade

manipulating bolster for stat gain is considered exploiting. I suppose you weren't around for 5.0 launch when dvl exp gear had 150k hp and everyone else was at 130k. (bolster was 250 then)

soon as it became known, bioware swooped in and nerfed dvl gear into the ground. it is currently the worst bolster gear for any instance, from planets, fps, wzs and/or operations.

Are you suggesting that theory crafting to see how Bolster works normally is exploiting? I’ve been doing it since it was first introduced and 2 other players even had forum stickies on how to get the most out of Bolster. So I’m 100% sure it’s not exploiting to do what I said with regards to Augments.

As for DvL, yes that was a broken bug and was exploited, but you will remember that all other gear was bolstered and was basically even. This is what I expect for 6.0.

i assume i can use some gear pieces with empty and and some with filled augment slots together for bolstering the empty ones?

do i need to install an augment slot at all for bolster?

this and the way how you aquire gear could be reasons to get expertise gear back

ELSE a stickied thread "how bolster works (not works) at the moment and what this means for regs gearing" could help

Actually, the Augment Bolster works like this.

All gear is assumed to have Augments slots already. So every piece essentially has a 236 Mastery Augment assigned to it.

If you don’t equip any Augment, you get those mastery stats for “free”. Thats why it’s a waste of credits and time to equip any mastery Augments for pvp. But, that does not mean you shouldn’t if you are also playing pve because you won’t have them bolstered outside of pvp. All it means is those mastery Augments won’t give you extra stats in pvp.

Augments are the most beneficial in pvp if you want to change your secondary stats like Alacrity, crit, Accuracy or defence.

One thing to note is that they work better once you have all 252+ gear. Before that and bolstered gear tries to work out secondary stats for you.

You can test out everything I’ve said if you want to and don’t mind spending the credits pulling Augments in and out of gear.

If you do intend to test, go find a Bolster terminal on the fleet or in a Rishi strong hold.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been playing swtor in 230s for giggles for the last 3 weeks... this forum is going to full of so much salt when the ranked players roll out in regs in BiS. it's actually not going to be funny, it's going to be sickening. but you guys keep believing bolster is gear, and it will save pvp.

Do you notice much difference between your 230s versus 258s?

They’ve said every one will be bolstered to max gear lvl, not under it. At the moment Bolster isn’t set at that level. It is set at 252 instead of 258.

I just got back very recently and I missed this news, but if this materializes as such it will be the best thing this game has ever done for the PvP community. (And I'm a Darth Malak player if some remember what that was :))

Play any class you want, any time you want. If done well, and it works well, this could be the key to bringing back some of the old PvP players. At least for a few months of fun. :)

the bolster problem with gear is dmg reduction scales inproperly. the lower your gear rating the more dmg you take, and it most noticable when you use a dcd. you expect to take less dmg, but you really dont. 3 dps can keep a mercs kolto from recovering at all. we arent talking about it being bursted through, we are talking about the utility working as intended and barely keeping up with inc dmg from 3 dps.

as for 258, this was all based on people with 135k hp, not 137-140k. I expect gear difference to win dps wise, I expect pressure to affect battle outcome, what is not expected is when you eat a 37k explosive probe. That little beauty was from cia, a fair sniper on harb/SF. that 37k hit was before anyone had 258, cuz no one had rep

Because Bolster isn't gear. If gear didn't matter this game wouldn't have gear.

Yeah but it seems they are trying to make it so gear doesn't matter in PVP. Maybe you missed that part of Trixxie's post. If they succeed using their bolster magic, then gears will matter but just for PVE and other reasons. Not for PVP, though.

You have realize something. This game is not designed to revolve around bolster. Bolster is a crutch, like a crutch, a real leg is 10x better.

Here is something you to ponder, and test on your free time. Bioware started P2P. Then they were forced to go F2P for money reasons. When they went F2P an item was created that could only be bought with real world currency... Artifact Authorization. This handy item was the only way for F2P/Perferred could use artifact gear.... but why? if you were f2p, the game had bolster, and they wanted you to pay to use artifact gear... why? there is bolster. Now...... go into any wz right now with full geen gear and un auged. You will have 135k hp. You will do ok dmg...... You will also melt. In 2 seconds. Over and over. A gear and bolster system designed by game developer long gone from swtor, the game punishes blue and green gear, a deliberate design to goad f2p into purple gear. if purple didnt matter, that it wouldnt require USD to equipt.

Edited by Seterade

You have realize something. This game is not designed to revolve around bolster. Bolster is a crutch, like a crutch, a real leg is 10x better.

Here is something you to ponder, and test on your free time. Bioware started P2P. Then they were forced to go F2P for money reasons. When they went F2P an item was created that could only be bought with real world currency... Artifact Authorization. This handy item was the only way for F2P/Perferred could use artifact gear.... but why? if you were f2p, the game had bolster, and they wanted you to pay to use artifact gear... why? there is bolster. Now...... go into any wz right now with full geen gear and un auged. You will have 135k hp. You will do ok dmg...... You will also melt. In 2 seconds. Over and over. A gear and bolster system designed by game developer long gone from swtor, the game punishes blue and green gear, a deliberate design to goad f2p into purple gear. if purple didnt matter, that it wouldnt require USD to equipt.

Why don't they address the damage taken then by bolstered gears? In my mind if they can adjust health, damage out, why can they not adjust damage taken?

I aint saying bolster is a great solution, but it is a solution to removing gear gaps in WZs if it's done properly. I'd rather them make bolster work properly, than have gear gaps in the WZs.

If they can't be bothered to create PVP sets for WZs, then what other options are there to remove gear gaps in WZs?

The problem with the game is they are dumbing it down out of either laziness, or lack of funds. They are trying to simplify it so they can manage the numbers easier, but as a result of this they are removing options and choices regarding gears. It's like cutting off the nose to spite their own face.

I'd honestly rather see a PVP vendor set up where players could buy all mods, enhancements, etc. for cheap like it used to be years ago. This gave us freedom to play with different statistics and was reminiscent of building a car with different parts to run it differently than other cars. Modifying and building a toon with assorted mods was fun.

Edited by Lhancelot

I'm not sure how many of you have been on the PTS, but 6.0 is going to suck massively. You won't be able to set your stat allocations. You'll just have to go with whatever un-modded gear drops you get, and the fact that you will be changing them out on a regular basis means that you probably won't have augments (unless you are cool with spending a ton of creds on a regular basis).

So whatever accuracy, alacrity, and crit your un-modded green gear has on it is what you're going to have to go with. Oh, and it will stay that way for a bloody long time while you slowly grind more un-modded greens from 270 to 306 in 2 point increments.

I don't care about expertise per se, but I want some kind of cheap gear that I can augment (read: has mods, legacy bound) and easily adjust enhancements for while still grinding out newer and better mods.

All this talk about bolster is moot when you can't even control your stats. Sure, you get bolstered to a ridiculously high amount of alacrity that does nothing due to the thresholds, but you can't take those useless alac points and stick them in e.g. mastery / power / crit.

I'm not sure how many of you have been on the PTS, but 6.0 is going to suck massively. You won't be able to set your stat allocations. You'll just have to go with whatever un-modded gear drops you get, and the fact that you will be changing them out on a regular basis means that you probably won't have augments (unless you are cool with spending a ton of creds on a regular basis).

So whatever accuracy, alacrity, and crit your un-modded green gear has on it is what you're going to have to go with. Oh, and it will stay that way for a bloody long time while you slowly grind more un-modded greens from 270 to 306 in 2 point increments.

I don't care about expertise per se, but I want some kind of cheap gear that I can augment (read: has mods, legacy bound) and easily adjust enhancements for while still grinding out newer and better mods.

All this talk about bolster is moot when you can't even control your stats. Sure, you get bolstered to a ridiculously high amount of alacrity that does nothing due to the thresholds, but you can't take those useless alac points and stick them in e.g. mastery / power / crit.

Not to totally discount complaints about 6.0's gearing, but there will supposedly be a long gap before the next ranked season starts, so most people should probably have something close to max level set bonus gear with augments, etc by then on at least one toon.

...so most people should probably have something close to max level set bonus gear with augments, etc by then on at least one toon.

The problem with this is that the only people benefiting are people that are established and have had the time to invest into perfecting the gear stats. it also only benefits people who play one toon.

If someone comes to the game and wants to PVP, they shouldn't have to grind and work for months on gears to "get them right" for PVP. People that enjoy playing alts also shouldn't need exorbitant amounts of time to gear up to play their alts in PVP.

This is why having PVP vendors/gears works best especially when the gears/mods can be gotten easily and quickly so players aren't forced to spending all their time grinding gears when they just want to enter WZs and PVP.

Gear grinding for PVP is dumb. Gear grinding for PVE works fine because the whole point to PVE is advancing gears to take down harder targets which require the better gears.

The problem with this is that the only people benefiting are people that are established and have had the time to invest into perfecting the gear stats. it also only benefits people who play one toon.

I don't necessarily disagree. But this is an mmo. Nothing wrong with making people do stuff to earn gear. Plus it will be max bolster. Gear doesn't even really matter now where bolster is 6 item rating below, so it definitely won't matter in 6.0. I suppose set bonuses and tacticals might make some difference if they're too hard to get. We'll see.

I just think some are overstating how bad it will be. And as for alts, they should be much faster to gear for than in the current system, so once you have one toon in full 306, you should be able to get gear for other alts exponentially faster.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Gear doesn't even really matter now where bolster is 6 item rating below

alex, do you actually believe this? there is a merc on SS right now who has 2 mercs, a 248 one and a 258. his 248 melts in seconds, his 258 can be tunneled and he just kites circles. you cant truly think that gear isnt making a difference in 5.10