Why do people feel that everything should be easy to obtain?

Citywok

I'm not trolling, I want to have a serious discussion.

For example, the HK-51 companion coming out is probably going to require both a lvl 50 imperial and a lvl republic character on the same legacy to get. People all of a sudden start to complain about how they "don't feel like leveling an opposite faction character" and "Bioware messed this one up I'm quitting". I happen to like the requirement because not everyone is going to get it, it's fun to experience leveling a character on both sides, and it's not another one of those freebies to come in the mail. We have to work for it. People in this game feel they are entitled to get everything that comes out in this game, and if they don't feel like doing it, it becomes "unfair" and "bad business Bioware".

I think some people fail to realize that this is not a single player game. You aren't going to get everything handed to you. In MMOs a lot of the successful players have things the other don't because they put in more effort. This isn't even a diffcult requirement anyway. I applaud Bioware for making this awesome companion at least a little difficult to get. I'm not trying to disparage anyone, I'd really like to know why people feel that if they don't like to do something then it shouldn't be a requirement to get a cool companion. I know some people have filled all their charact6er slots but have like a lvl 40, a lvl 20 and six lvl 1-10 characters. You can afford to delete one of them to level a republic guy if you want HK-51. It is your choice whether to fulfill the requirements or not.

Can we at least have a somewhat civil discussion for once? I have a feeling it's going to be too much to ask.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trolling, I want to have a serious discussion.

For example, the HK-51 companion coming out is probably going to require both a lvl 50 imperial and a lvl republic character on the same legacy to get. People all of a sudden start to complain about how they "don't feel like leveling an opposite faction character" and "Bioware messed this one up I'm quitting". I happen to like the requirement because not everyone is going to get it, it's fun to experience leveling a character on both sides, and it's not another one of those freebies to come in the mail. We have to work for it. People in this game feel they are entitled to get everything that comes out in this game, and if they don't feel like doing it, it becomes "unfair" and "bad business Bioware".

I think some people fail to realize that this is not a single player game. You aren't going to get everything handed to you. In MMOs a lot of the successful players have things the other don't because they put in more effort. This isn't even a diffcult requirement anyway. I applaud Bioware for making this awesome companion at least a little difficult to get. I'm not trying to disparage anyone, I'd really like to know why people feel that if they don't like to do something then it shouldn't be a requirement to get a cool companion. I know some people have filled all their charact6er slots but have like a lvl 40, a lvl 20 and six lvl 1-10 characters. You can afford to delete one of them to level a republic guy if you want HK-51. It is your choice whether to fulfill the requirements or not.

Can we at least have a somewhat civil discussion for once? I have a feeling it's going to be too much to ask.

So a person who has a level 50 imperial on one server and a level 50 republic on another did less work than someone who did them both on the same server?

Basically it might irk some people as yet another sign the devs think everyone loves making more and more alts. Or that people shouldn't have any real loyalty to a particular faction.

I think many - not all - people greatly prefer one faction over the other, and aren't thrilled by rolling an alt to get what's supposed to be a universal companion. It's not easy vs hard, it's BW having a certain idea about how the game should be played.

Point of people being agree isn't because they have to work for it, but because they are forced to do it. BW simply doesn't give any alternatives to obtaining HK thought a single faction. Many people like the fact that they can be associated with a single faction, and so far as I know there hasn't been a single MMO out there that forced someone to level both factions in order to obtain a big part of the game play. Sure there may have been instances where if you had dual factions characters you may have gotten some title or some vanity item, but not miss half the game play.

Think of it this way, what if in order to gain access to some high level content in an MMO, you had to have dual faction characters, there is no way around it. Level the faction you don't like playing to 50,60 or 80 before you can see new content, because this is basically what it all comes down to.

This just goes to show BW's piss poor solution to the lack of content in SWTOR. They don't have new content to release, so instead they will make you grind for the little that they have in hopes people will do and buy themselves some time.

Why? Entitlement.

99 out of a hundred threads are started by people who have it. The other 1 thread out of a hundred is started by people who want to berate the 99%.

Congratulations OP, you are the 1%.

If "meat bags" want HK-51 then they should put in the work to get him. I want him but i dont really want to go out if my way to level another character. If i do end up doing it great! But i am not going to whine about someone else having HK-51 and me not having him when i didn't meet the requirements.

I dont really get the whole "i should jave it because someone else does and i should too" mentality. We are not all going to have the same gear or pets, that is what makes the characters unique.

Hey mate, i hope it does evolve into a serius conversation.

There is not one single answer on why people feel entintled to everything the game has to offer, i think for most ppl it is the fact that they pay for it and for another big part of the ppl its the fact that they grew up thinking they are entitles to stuff they somehow think they own. The reality of the situation is the purpose of the game is the game and not getting the reward of it, so you dont pay to get items in game but for access in it, no matter whats in it.

This beeing an mmorpg the bar is set higher for a lot of things, the developers say they want the rewards system to be fair, or more like they use doublespeak to hint that they design stuff with that in mind so you cant call them on it when unfairness enters the game.

So in one hand you have people that think they are entitles to ingame rewards by not playing the game and on the other hand the developers come across as ppl that scheme behind your back to cheat on you every chance they get (think legacy, think set bonus on pre-campaign item etc etc)

I wont personally roll an imperial to get HK-51 unless he is an optimal need for my republic characters in that case i will be furius that they force a mini-reroll on me but i will bite the bullet or accept that i will be suboptimal.

Another sub-topic on the entitlement of ppl is some narcissistic behavior, sadly the internet by providing anonymity brings out the worst in ppl, they tend to do whatever they wouldnt ever do in real life without any regard to the fact that ppl in games are real ppl also. So their narcisim leads to them thinking that some1 who has access to something they dont is either cheating them since they are better than the afformantioned persona or there is simply an issue with the game rules and needs to be adressed right now by the devs.

I applaud Bioware for making this awesome companion at least a little difficult to get.

How did you make the connection between leveling a character on the faction which may not be preferred on the same server and difficult? :confused: When I look at this, all I see is an attempt to manipulate players into doing something that may go against their preferred playstyle in order to obtain a popular follower. I have to admit that I have not seen such a cross-faction scheme anywhere else so far. :)

Edited by Ashyra

Easy! This is a game and not a job... I work most of the day and have only a couple of hours to play, sometimes none at all... so i don't want to get out from one job to get into another...

The problem with this line of thinking is... It is not like their is a time limit to the content. If the game is like a job to you, then quit.

Another sub-topic on the entitlement of ppl is some narcissistic behavior, sadly the internet by providing anonymity brings out the worst in ppl, they tend to do whatever they wouldnt ever do in real life without any regard to the fact that ppl in games are real ppl also. So their narcisim leads to them thinking that some1 who has access to something they dont is either cheating them since they are better than the afformantioned persona or there is simply an issue with the game rules and needs to be adressed right now by the devs.

sticky this for every MMO.

The way I see it is, some people want to feel special in some way, want to have something alot of other people haven't got, so they prefer that item be hard to get. I personally think its a bit strange, but hey, if someone gets a kick from it, and It makes their life a little happier, good for them. Edited by utio

The problem with this line of thinking is... It is not like their is a time limit to the content.

Wise words. Even the players who only put in 2 hours a week will eventually get the reward, it will just take a lot longer in real time. The content will still be there in a year.

Point of people being agree isn't because they have to work for it, but because they are forced to do it. BW simply doesn't give any alternatives to obtaining HK thought a single faction. Many people like the fact that they can be associated with a single faction, and so far as I know there hasn't been a single MMO out there that forced someone to level both factions in order to obtain a big part of the game play. Sure there may have been instances where if you had dual factions characters you may have gotten some title or some vanity item, but not miss half the game play.

Think of it this way, what if in order to gain access to some high level content in an MMO, you had to have dual faction characters, there is no way around it. Level the faction you don't like playing to 50,60 or 80 before you can see new content, because this is basically what it all comes down to.

This just goes to show BW's piss poor solution to the lack of content in SWTOR. They don't have new content to release, so instead they will make you grind for the little that they have in hopes people will do and buy themselves some time.

Not getting HK-51 is missing half the game play? LOL. He an extra, basically one step about a vanity pet. He's not new content, not necessary.

Bioware should not listen to the people complaining about the difficulty or complexity of doing something important in this game. Theres a big difference between making things accessable to the everyday player and trivializing the cotnent.

LFG tool is an example of making content accessible.

Giving people top teir raid gear through means other than top teir ops is an example of making content trivial. (not that swtor has done this)

When you start making things trivial the whole game becomes trivial and even those people who are complaining that they want everything made easier will leave.

Edited by Mallorik

All my character slots are filled.

So if I have to delete an established character only to roll the opposite faction and level to 50, I end up having to have done more work than you. Not to mention deleting a character that I like.

Now do you understand why some people are upset?

Wise words. Even the players who only put in 2 hours a week will eventually get the reward, it will just take a lot longer in real time. The content will still be there in a year.

This isnt true in swtor and it wasnt true in wow, this is the core issue of the level cap increase deal, the content wont be the same, yeah sure there is a 50-50 chance you will be able to access it in game, but it will be the same as if you go with your lvl 50 at athiss cause you didnt get around to doing it when you were 20.

Thats why ppl are furius about it.

The complaints I see are not about the difficulty of getting the HK, it is the method. A lot of people play single faction and have filled their character slots with all 8 advance classes. New content should never require people to delete existing characters. Unless additional character slots get added at the same time, this cross faction requirement is a very bad design.

I must admit that I can see both sides of the coin.

Personally Im thrilled that he's hard to get and the fact that you need to do cross faction stuff is cool too in my opinion.

However, I can also see why people are getting annoyed that they have to role two factions, if they're the "this is my faction" kind of guys. (actually I am an imperial, but I love story far too much to stay from republic too xD)

Then again I think the majority of the people who is REALY exited about HK-51 is the people who played KOTOR, and I believe those people mostly like story, those they properly also have characters of both factions.

My solutions would be to make HK-51 accesable in two ways.

1) The cross faction way

2) A single faction way which however will recoure a lot more work on this ONE FACTION.

The only thing we’re saying today is its going to take a serious amount of work, involves a galaxy-wide mission, introduces some different ways of playing the game and MOST people will need to have a 50 of one faction and at least a mid-level character from the other faction. Get working on those Legacy characters!

From this week's Q&A Blog. People really need to read the info we're given by the devs. Notice the bold underlined red word. So most people will need a character on both sides, but not all people will. Seriously, the world would be a better place if people read everything and didn't develop Chicken Little Syndrome every 5 seconds.

Hey mate, i hope it does evolve into a serius conversation.

There is not one single answer on why people feel entintled to everything the game has to offer, i think for most ppl it is the fact that they pay for it and for another big part of the ppl its the fact that they grew up thinking they are entitles to stuff they somehow think they own. The reality of the situation is the purpose of the game is the game and not getting the reward of it, so you dont pay to get items in game but for access in it, no matter whats in it.

This beeing an mmorpg the bar is set higher for a lot of things, the developers say they want the rewards system to be fair, or more like they use doublespeak to hint that they design stuff with that in mind so you cant call them on it when unfairness enters the game.

So in one hand you have people that think they are entitles to ingame rewards by not playing the game and on the other hand the developers come across as ppl that scheme behind your back to cheat on you every chance they get (think legacy, think set bonus on pre-campaign item etc etc)

I wont personally roll an imperial to get HK-51 unless he is an optimal need for my republic characters in that case i will be furius that they force a mini-reroll on me but i will bite the bullet or accept that i will be suboptimal.

Bolded the patt I wanted to talk about. You seem like a open minded person and pretty rational. If you do decide to finally play an imperial character, you may want to try and agent. Even if you don't like the bad side, the story is pretty fun if you like twists and mysteries. You may just enjoy it.

Things should be harder to obtain.

I have to side with the OP in this one. I DON'T agree with people having characters on different servers being made to do it again though. Maybe tie legacy into accounts and not servers?

I know the text said "most people" will need a... but I think it will be everyone. I think the Q&A post was just a figure of speech. It'll be one level 50 and 1 opposing faction character that's completed Act 2. That makes the most sense if they are doing it like that.

Hope things are harder to obtain in future though. No one should be excluded from anything, but everyone should have different ways of slowly working towards an end reward.

People are lazy and have a "give me everything for nothing mentality". That's just the way the world works. All those who try to fight that mentality end up getting trod over by millions of steeled toed boots. In this culture we are all living in, we all crave what other people have for no baser reason than we don't have it. Human nature is inherently good, but is corrupted at an early age due to the surrounding environment. All these people complaining about not getting the new companion because they don't want to meet the requirements are living in a fantasy world. In RL you do't get to take short cuts, if you need 120 credit hours to get a degree they won't let you graduate with only 100. If your taking martial arts, even if you have taken it elsewhere, they will make you start at a white belt. This is life, but people run away from it because it's to hard. Well, life is hard, get use to it. Or better yet deal with it and do anything and everything you can to ensure you have a happy, peaceful life. Yes, it's gonna take some work, but it's do-able. The new companion promises to be stronger than the rest, so why wouldn't you have to work twice as hard for it. For those of you that have a level 50 Imp on one server and a lvl 50 Pub on another, I feel bad for you and hope BW finds a way for you to link legacies together and actually get it that way, because you already have done the work in advanced, before clear instructions were given out. But for everyone who is complaining about actually having to try to get one of the most powerful and cool new features of the new content, you're just lazy and incompetent and need to learn that anything worth having in life is worth working for. So pull on your big boy pants and start leveling because if you really want the new companion, be prepared to work hard. (Also, they haven't confirmed yet that you need both sides, only suggested. While this is as good as a yes, they may not do what we are expecting. My suggestion is to wait until all information is given out then make your decision from there.)