damage mitigation

Rhyn

Does anyone else feel that damage mitigation is broken? Why is it that a fully spec tank with full tank gear cannot mitigate elemental and internal damage for more than 6 or 7%? Why is it that the dam shields can mitigate damage better than a tank. You really need to tone down the damage from elemental and internal attacks or increase the defense against it.

Does anyone else feel that damage mitigation is broken? Why is it that a fully spec tank with full tank gear cannot mitigate elemental and internal damage for more than 6 or 7%? Why is it that the dam shields can mitigate damage better than a tank. You really need to tone down the damage from elemental and internal attacks or increase the defense against it.

Elemental attacks are weaker because they bypass armor but I do think that somewhere in the tank tree should be a talent that lets the tank shield every type of attack.

Tanks will never be real tanks in pvp because of what the shield doesn't proc on and how much dmg is let thru. Armor mitigates a small amount of everything. I say small amount because the difference in armor value between heavy, medium and light is not all that drastic. Also, the shield only procs on white melee and ranged weapon damage abilities. It does not proc off tech, force, elemental, or internal.

The same can be said for defense. Only white melee and ranged weapon damage can be defended, so when you pop the so called saber ward, you increase your defense by 100%, so its still 100% of only white melee and ranged weapon damage. So you can have a sorc hitting you with force lightning and the only thing that will happen is it will be mitigated by the 25% dmg reduction that is included in the ability. The defense increase portion is pretty null considering the small scope of abilities it affects.

The only thing that really helps all around is armor, so just go dps. I learned that the hard way. I spent so much time getting every single piece of war hero defense gear, only to find out later that it means nothing. Armor and expertise are the only real form of mitigation that anyone has, aside from cd's as well.

Tanks will never be real tanks in pvp because of what the shield doesn't proc on and how much dmg is let thru. Armor mitigates a small amount of everything. I say small amount because the difference in armor value between heavy, medium and light is not all that drastic. Also, the shield only procs on white melee and ranged weapon damage abilities. It does not proc off tech, force, elemental, or internal.

The same can be said for defense. Only white melee and ranged weapon damage can be defended, so when you pop the so called saber ward, you increase your defense by 100%, so its still 100% of only white melee and ranged weapon damage. So you can have a sorc hitting you with force lightning and the only thing that will happen is it will be mitigated by the 25% dmg reduction that is included in the ability. The defense increase portion is pretty null considering the small scope of abilities it affects.

The only thing that really helps all around is armor, so just go dps. I learned that the hard way. I spent so much time getting every single piece of war hero defense gear, only to find out later that it means nothing. Armor and expertise are the only real form of mitigation that anyone has, aside from cd's as well.

Here i thought a tanks weakness would be damage not damage mitigation. Maybe it is time for BW to look at mitigation and how it is applied to all types of damage. BTW thanks for the post was insightful

Here i thought a tanks weakness would be damage not damage mitigation. Maybe it is time for BW to look at mitigation and how it is applied to all types of damage. BTW thanks for the post was insightful

erm... everyone is susceptible to some type of damage. You can't have invincible tanks, when are backed up by a healer.

They mentioned in one of the Q/As that they are looking to improve the shields and have them mitigate more than weapon attacks. For now however your best bet is to go for active damage reduction effects, such as unstoppable in the vengeance tree, and any type of defensive cooldown that decreases damage received like the bounty hunter shield.