Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

People who ninja for their companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
People who ninja for their companions

Saurakk
02.21.2012 , 12:05 PM | #911
Quote: Originally Posted by Setanian View Post
Only one problem with that. To get your 'constant' to the state of play it is at in the game, required the companions?

Which, muddies the waters a bit.
Not really (but again, opinions).

This game is fairly easy. Regular questing and content can be done easily with a half-tush geared companion.

I was tearing "content" up with my Merc around mid-30's when I realized Mako still had a lot of lvl 15-20ish gear.

Even after upgrading her, there really was not a huge impact that I noticed, at least not as much as when I upgrade my main character.

Of course it is good to upgrade companions, but I dont think anyone (even yourself) feels it is as important as your main.

If you do, are you saying you actually flip a coin if a nice piece of gear drops that would fit both you or your companion, or do you no questions upgrade your main first?

Vecke
02.21.2012 , 12:05 PM | #912
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
He's not talking about the "why" only the "what"

You can speculate that the why is because they think that needing for companions is bad.

or you can speculate that the why is because they think that needing for companions causes them more work on the forums and in CSR tickets than the alternative, so they're doing what any developers do: they add whatever will make things easier on them. (this is driven by laziness, one of the three virtues of a programmer)
I'm not really concerned about whether or not their reasons are philosophical or practical. I'm just saying this person did make a clear inference that they have a position and that position is that - for now - they think need should be for characters only.

Maybe that's because they're lazy. Maybe it's because of their beliefs on the matter. Doesn't change the position he's inferred.

Will that position change? Who knows. Maybe. If the position of the majority of players shift, it probably will.

I'm not even saying I agree with it. I'm just saying the inference is pretty clear.

And I know you have absolutely no reason to take me at my word here, but I can tell you in my anecdotal experience as someone that worked for many years at a company with a strong forum community... my company was VERY strict on what opinions it allowed its employees to post on the forums. It was absolutely crammed into our heads that anything we say on the forums was representing the company. We didn't even allow a preface of "This is my opinion and not the opinion of the company" because people inevitably ignore that disclaimer.

The guy could be stepping over his bounds with that comment, but it's not unreasonable to assume that he's speaking for the company and it's not unreasonable to assume their stance - whether philosophical or practical - is that need is for the player character.

That may change, sure, but for now, it's perfectly fair for people to use that quote as evidence (NOT proof) of their stance on the issue.

Being fair, though, there is another inference in that quote that I think the "greed" camp is leaving out. That entire quote gave me the distinct impression that they don't consider this very important at all and that players should really just come together and self-regulate. The fact that this arguably vague comment is their only comment on the matter tells me they see it as pretty low on their list of priorities (and probably rightly so).
"I know."

Setanian
02.21.2012 , 12:06 PM | #913
Quote: Originally Posted by jontyld View Post
People can play philosopher as much as they want about whats the most "fair", but I could care less.

If I'm in a group, my opinion matters just like everyone else. If people cannot come up with a meeting of the minds, they shouldn't group together. I choose to play with people who agree with me on the "loot for companion being greed" issue, for the same reasons I spend any other social time with people who tend to have similar beliefs and ideas of whats fair and enjoyable.

What I think is dishonest, is the refusing to acknowledge that rolling need for companions is going against the grain, and not speaking up about their intentions ahead of time because they either feel their way is more righteous to begin with, or because they're worried that they will not be invited because of it.

And I'll go ahead and end my usual note, thankfully this is just a hot issue on the forums, and not a real problem within the game.
Going against whose 'grain', yours or mine?

Are you claiming yours is more important than mine?
What is that baseball bat in your signature? Oh! It's a lightsaber! How cute is that !

lineschmidt
02.21.2012 , 12:07 PM | #914
Rolling need for a companion when someone could use it as an upgrade is extremely selfish and would earn you a spot on my ignore list and a kick from the group if possible

Setanian
02.21.2012 , 12:08 PM | #915
Quote: Originally Posted by Saurakk View Post
Not really (but again, opinions).

This game is fairly easy. Regular questing and content can be done easily with a half-tush geared companion.

I was tearing "content" up with my Merc around mid-30's when I realized Mako still had a lot of lvl 15-20ish gear.

Even after upgrading her, there really was not a huge impact that I noticed, at least not as much as when I upgrade my main character.

Of course it is good to upgrade companions, but I dont think anyone (even yourself) feels it is as important as your main.

If you do, are you saying you actually flip a coin if a nice piece of gear drops that would fit both you or your companion, or do you no questions upgrade your main first?
I upgrade my tank companion first.. he's taking the hits.. I'm healing him, so for me, and the way I play, he needs it more than I.
What is that baseball bat in your signature? Oh! It's a lightsaber! How cute is that !

Saurakk
02.21.2012 , 12:10 PM | #916
I upgrade my tank companion first.. he's taking the hits.. I'm healing him, so for me, and the way I play, he needs it more than I.
I said gear you could both use.

Think outside your box and play a Merc (Heavy armor and Aim)....you use Blizz (heavy armor and Aim).

You are telling me you would give equal weight to an upgrade and possibly place it on your companion over yourself?

Setanian
02.21.2012 , 12:10 PM | #917
Quote: Originally Posted by lineschmidt View Post
Rolling need for a companion when someone could use it as an upgrade is extremely selfish and would earn you a spot on my ignore list and a kick from the group if possible
We keep seeing this.. You coming into my group and claiming people cannot roll need for companions would end up with me kicking you out.

This whole threat of blacklisting or being kicked out of groups is meaningless in the overall scheme of things.

lineschmidt
02.21.2012 , 12:11 PM | #918
We keep seeing this.. You coming into my group and claiming people cannot roll need for companions would end up with me kicking you out.

This whole threat of blacklisting or being kicked out of groups is meaningless in the overall scheme of things.
Glad you feel like that because you'll be on lots of peoples ignore list with an attitude like that

Setanian
02.21.2012 , 12:11 PM | #919
Quote: Originally Posted by Saurakk View Post
I said gear you could both use.

Think outside your box and play a Merc (Heavy armor and Aim)....you use Blizz (heavy armor and Aim).

You are telling me you would give equal weight to an upgrade and possibly place it on your companion over yourself?
I play consular with a tank companion. I don't play any other class.

Sorry, but that's the truth.

nogell
02.21.2012 , 12:12 PM | #920
On my server and all the pug groups I been in, we need on world boss drops since it is boe. I don't have problems with it.