Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

People who ninja for their companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
People who ninja for their companions

Vecke's Avatar


Vecke
02.21.2012 , 02:52 PM | #991
Quote: Originally Posted by Saurakk View Post
It's ok, you cannot debate a fact and you are stating a fact.

You can play your character w/o companions. You cannot play a companion w/o your character.

You can play your character w/ any companion you have. You cannot play a companion w/ another companion.

They are not the same.

Your main is the only constant involved. Companions are simply variables that may or may not be needed to play the game and advance but they definitely make it easier.

The fact is that they are not the same regardless of what someone else tries to continually claim.
I agree and you stated it much better than I did. I just conceded because the definition of a companion isn't really the issue. The importance of the companion is.

But thanks for clarifying my point.
"I know."

Galbatorrix's Avatar


Galbatorrix
02.21.2012 , 02:53 PM | #992
Quote: Originally Posted by Vecke View Post
I really think the only viable solution is:

1. If the loot rule is important to you, speak up.
2. If nobody speaks up, it should be assumed that everyone is rolling need for companions.

Number 2 is the one I'm sure people will have a problem with, but I really think TOR's companion system has changed the paradigm here and there's no longer a "conventional wisdom" on when to roll need.

Again, that's the problem. Regardless of whether some here will admit it or not, # 2 on your list is NOT the consensus. I've never once had anyone say "Ok guys, no rolling on companions!" and at the same time, I've yet to run into someone who did roll need for a companion over someone's PC. So no, nothing has changed at all. There is a known consensus. If you're going to roll need for anything other than your PC, say so before the run. Otherwise, you have no legs to stand on when someone fusses at you because you knew good and well you were going against how the majority play.

If I walked into a christian youth center and started trying to teach everyone Shintoism, should I get all mad and upset when they ask me to leave? I mean, it's a community center! I should be able to do what I want...

jontyld's Avatar


jontyld
02.21.2012 , 02:53 PM | #993
Quote: Originally Posted by Setanian View Post
The difference is;

You start a group and dictate terms and conditions for being allowed to play in your group.

I start a group and get on with the game, allowing people to roll how-ever they want. If I roll need and lose, I accept I lost the roll and continue playing.

I prefer my groups to the thought of yours. My way, we get to play the game rather than play 'it's my group you'll do what I say'..
I've never actually had to dictate terms to a group like this. Maybe one day I will get "burned" as you did and feel the need to, at that point that will become a cost to how I play.

Again, I feel its completely fair to make sure that group members intentions align with your own. If I was to tell someone to do as I say or don't join my group, I'd feel completely justified in doing so because I don't owe them anything.

Frenzyguy's Avatar


Frenzyguy
02.21.2012 , 02:56 PM | #994
Quote: Originally Posted by xhaiquan View Post
On Tarris group of 16 level 32-37 take down ancient one world boss.

3 agents in group. A nice purple protype drops clearly meant for agents. All roll need.

A sith assasin also rolls need and wins, saying he needed it for his companion.


***
companion while levceling is a part of your ability btw, I would have rolled need to

universeman's Avatar


universeman
02.21.2012 , 02:58 PM | #995
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
It seems clear to me. If you think you need it, press need. If you don't want it at all, press pass. If you wouldn't mind taking it, but don't think you need it, press greed.
lol, I wish the NEED/GREED system was that simple.

Vecke's Avatar


Vecke
02.21.2012 , 02:59 PM | #996
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
Again, that's the problem. Regardless of whether some here will admit it or not, # 2 on your list is NOT the consensus. I've never once had anyone say "Ok guys, no rolling on companions!" and at the same time, I've yet to run into someone who did roll need for a companion over someone's PC. So no, nothing has changed at all. There is a known consensus. If you're going to roll need for anything other than your PC, say so before the run. Otherwise, you have no legs to stand on when someone fusses at you because you knew good and well you were going against how the majority play.

If I walked into a christian youth center and started trying to teach everyone Shintoism, should I get all mad and upset when they ask me to leave? I mean, it's a community center! I should be able to do what I want...
It's a good point, and if you're saying there is a clear consensus still, I'm glad to hear it.

The reason for number 2, though, is a little more about the math of the issue than anything else.

Bottom line, if you're in a group and nobody says anything about the looting system, but one person wants to roll need for companions, that person can roll need for companions. Until he's booted, nobody can stop him.

Conversely, if you're in a group and you want everyone to roll greed, you can't force that option. People that roll need can force it. They can make it happen whether you like it or not. You can't do that.

My second point was also based on the premise that there's no game-wide consensus on which is correct. I admit, though, I based that largely on this thread (big logistical error on my end). If there IS an overwhelming consensus, that changes things entirely, as blacklisting, etc, will still have influence.

However, if it's a pretty even split, you're better assuming they'll roll need.

Of course, the absolute 100% cure to this issue is number one. If it matters, speak up.

(I typically only play with people I know, so this isn't an actual issue to me; I just find the debate interesting)
"I know."

Galbatorrix's Avatar


Galbatorrix
02.21.2012 , 03:00 PM | #997
If I were Bioware, I would have the companions scale with the players level and then add clothing to the customization. Kind of like what they've already done for the customization for companions like Khem Val. People would probably use more than a couple companions if they didn't need to keep each one geared. Plus, it would make this debate mostly moot.

cipher_nemo's Avatar


cipher_nemo
02.21.2012 , 03:48 PM | #998
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
If I were Bioware, I would have the companions scale with the players level and then add clothing to the customization.
Excellent idea. Or, gear drops that ONLY companions can use. We already have that for PvE quest rewards, but why not add that on top of what's already dropped in ops, flashpoints, etc.?

I'd love to see the day when we get drops in end-game group content where it's something like "Requires Mako". Then every Bounty Hunter rolls need on it. "Requires Lt. Iresso", then every Consular rolls need on it.

See, we're not each others' enemies for Need/Greed rolling expectations. Bioware is. They forced us into this situation, so they should be the ones resolving it.

Zeghrem's Avatar


Zeghrem
02.21.2012 , 03:54 PM | #999
I'd just make it so dungeon gear cannot be used by companions. Problem solved.

I can't believe some of the responses on this. People should never make a companions priority over other air breathing, living, sentient players. This rule doesn't need to be written on paper or told to you. You only need one working synapse to realize that players always take priority over companions. This thread shouldn't even need to exist or inform people not to do it. IT'S BASIC ETIQUETTE. You can't really justify taking something because 'my companion needs it.' No. They do not. They do not have brain thought. They do not know a lightsaber from a sniper rifle. They are completely indifferent about what you think they need. Khem Val, doesn't give a damn. Corzo, doesn't give a damn. Qyzen, doesn't give a damn. That means the only person that cares is you. And you are acting an idiot believing otherwise.

They will not be there when you want stuff from raids. They will not be there in ilum saving you from all those mouth-breathers huddled at the door. They will not save you when you realize how much of a **** you are.

And you know what? I'm gonna need your blaster, rifle, assault cannon, robe, belt, implant, and anything you find important for vendor trash when it comes up.

Players are always a higher priority than companions. If you can't understand this by now, go play solo and don't do fp's with anyone since, sure as hell, nobody wants you and your needy self.

P.S. I ain't even mad. I just make sure it comes full circle and hurts worse.
pew pew

Nategray's Avatar


Nategray
02.21.2012 , 03:56 PM | #1000
Quote: Originally Posted by Setanian View Post
That means I need a group of players to get the gear I need for my companions.

What's your problem then?




Where did you read that? I read one dev inferring that he might not thinks it's right. I don't think he ever inferred that was the feeling of all devs. Nor did he ever say they would take any steps. He said "he'd see about putting it into the works".

Can you link me to your version please?


My problem is your lack of reading comprehension.

You roll need for them in groups where they are not used and you know dang well what I meant.
Typical straw man defense.
You have also seen the article we have all seen from the DEV's on this very subject.
The True Mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost.
The True Heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed.
Since beginning less time, Darkness thrives in the void
but always yields to purifying Light.