Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

People who ninja for their companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
People who ninja for their companions

Vecke
02.21.2012 , 09:48 AM | #881
Quote: Originally Posted by Monkeyfinger View Post
I wish it were simply a forum debate. More and more I am seeing players wait for everyone else to roll greed and then roll need. I'm seeing it on greenies and even medpacks and stims. The usual explanation is, "for my companion." Sorry folks but this is just plain rude. If you want to roll need say something at the start so others who would use the item for their companion can roll need as well.
If that's true, and if enough people believe rolling need for companions is okay, then you should prepare for a shift in loot etiquette in this game, because that will become the norm.

I don't say that because I believe it's how it should be; I just say it because it's how I think it will be.

People rolling need can force the change. All they have to do is roll need and there's really nothing you can do about it. If enough people want it, they'll just do it. You can't stop them and blacklisting only works when the people getting blacklisted are in the minority (which prevents them from grouping).
"I know."

OriginalPollo
02.21.2012 , 09:50 AM | #882
Quote: Originally Posted by areto View Post
The thing is the loot that drops is weighted towards the classes running the thing so there's a chance of loot for everyone and if someone rolls for their companion they really are rolling loot meant for someone else.
Yeah, that's why our run of all SI in HM Battle of Ilum dropped a BH Offhand. Should loot be calculated for classes in a group? Yes. Is it? No.

As to the OP original topic, I have yet to see somone even in a pug need on a piece for a companion. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. My advice to those that see it happen is to just smear the other person's name for as long as you can. The server will know that person's name soon enough and to avoid them.

Secondly, if even BW says that you shouldn't be needing on items for companions over playing characters; isn't that the only argument you need?

Switchykins
02.21.2012 , 09:53 AM | #883
Large thread about this XD All i will say is that i personally never roll need on anything i myself cannot use on my character, that is to say i do not count a companion as my personal character.

If everyone else rolls greed or disassemble on something that would be an upgrade for my main companion that i use in combat then i will ask if they mind if i roll need on it i will not auto roll need just cos no one else has.

Hopefully there are other people who see it this way because i for one do not count a companion as a main part of the game since they only fill player slots in flashpoints and take no part in pvp or operations, and questing is pretty straight forward if they have up to date green items
Peace is a lie, there is only Strength

Marten-Jon
02.21.2012 , 10:01 AM | #884
Set loot rules before you engage a flashpoint or a world boss. What I do most of the times is either set to Master Looter or :

Need If you can use it and need it (duh)
Greed For your companion/alt
Pass If you don't need it for either yourself or your companion

This way you just can't go wrong.
Paid for Pixels

star-forge
02.21.2012 , 10:15 AM | #885
I do need on loot for my companions but i have always asked if i could first i did it on swg and wow

Treazun
02.21.2012 , 10:22 AM | #886
All these people arguing they should be able to take gear for their companions need to realize a few things.

1. If we all roll need for gear our companions needs, we will be rolling need on just about every piece of gear in the game. (Ridiculous)

2. Was your companion out when the item dropped? If you were in a group, probably not. So why do you think you should take gear for a companion that doesn't help the group out. This would be like rolling need for an alt.

3. How would you feel if a shiny new light saber dropped you know would help your character out greatly, and JoeBob wins it for his companion he only uses to do Dailies on Ilum with.

The fact is that items do far more good for a player than they do for a companion, especially at 50 where your companion isn't something you use very often. If you think every piece of gear in the game should be yours for the taking, clearly you are just a selfish person.
"The days have gone down in the West, behind the hills, into shadow. How did it come to this?"

Setanian
02.21.2012 , 10:51 AM | #887
Quote: Originally Posted by Treazun View Post
All these people arguing they should be able to take gear for their companions need to realize a few things.

1. If we all roll need for gear our companions needs, we will be rolling need on just about every piece of gear in the game. (Ridiculous)
if everyone is rolling need, then everyone has the same fair chance.. right?
2. Was your companion out when the item dropped? If you were in a group, probably not. So why do you think you should take gear for a companion that doesn't help the group out. This would be like rolling need for an alt.
I was out, therefore I am entitled to roll. What I do with anything I win is none of anyone else's business.

3. How would you feel if a shiny new light saber dropped you know would help your character out greatly, and JoeBob wins it for his companion he only uses to do Dailies on Ilum with.
If the other player wins the roll, that's fair play. I'm happy they won something.

The fact is that items do far more good for a player than they do for a companion, especially at 50 where your companion isn't something you use very often. If you think every piece of gear in the game should be yours for the taking, clearly you are just a selfish person.
So you are deciding how much I'll use my companions at L50? You are deciding what I can roll need on, and you call me selfish?
What is that baseball bat in your signature? Oh! It's a lightsaber! How cute is that !

Setanian
02.21.2012 , 10:52 AM | #888
Quote: Originally Posted by OriginalPollo View Post
Secondly, if even BW says that you shouldn't be needing on items for companions over playing characters; isn't that the only argument you need?
Where has anyone at any managerial level of BioWare said such a thing? Please provide a link?
What is that baseball bat in your signature? Oh! It's a lightsaber! How cute is that !

Setanian
02.21.2012 , 10:57 AM | #889
Quote: Originally Posted by areto View Post
Welp bioware has said that they don't want you rolling need on stuff for your companions and eventually they'll put in a middle 'roll for companion' type option.

The thing is the loot that drops is weighted towards the classes running the thing so there's a chance of loot for everyone and if someone rolls for their companion they really are rolling loot meant for someone else.

If you want to test that out for yourself run BT or esseles on your high level character solo and you'll see pretty much only loot for your class dropping.

for reference:
Where did Bioware say that?

Vecke
02.21.2012 , 10:58 AM | #890
Quote: Originally Posted by Setanian View Post
if everyone is rolling need, then everyone has the same fair chance.. right?

I was out, therefore I am entitled to roll. What I do with anything I win is none of anyone else's business.

If the other player wins the roll, that's fair play. I'm happy they won something.

So you are deciding how much I'll use my companions at L50? You are deciding what I can roll need on, and you call me selfish?
I'm still undecided on where I stand on this issue, but this kind of sounds like you're arguing against need before greed in general, not just about companions.
"I know."