Merc vs Stealthers

oRubicon

So Ive been playing my mercenary since day one and I've just recently started doing some hardcore pvp and I always have trouble with stealth classes. Mainly Assassins, because surprisingly I can handle Operatives pretty well (dont know how, though). So I was just wondering from anyone out there, how would you, as a merc counter a sin in a 1v1 scenario?

You mean low slash. The sin tool kit is 3 stuns: spike a 2 sec stun can only be used from stealth, electrocute a 4 sec stun on a one min CD and it has low low slash which is a 4 sec mezz with a 30 sec range. Makes it look like they are throwing a lightsaber at you. This is FAR less control then an operative has.

Mobilty wise both ops and sin have a instant gap closer move (phantom stride and holotraverse) how ever the ops roll is far superior to the 30 sec cd force speed that is primarily used by Sins to breaks roots and slows via a utilty that gives it that effect. the sins have less mobilty then the operatives.

where the real difference lies in favour of the SIN is in surviabilty. Frankly operatives are squishy as heck and if you have one netted so it can't escape then your hitting it with slows and CC your gonna blow it up if it can't line of sight you. A sin in that position has options, or at least the abilty to live long enough to wait out the net so it can vanish. Which begs the question: HOW are you dealing with ops? you just netting them them using your damage to #roflstomp them? Cos thats what its sounding like.

sins are pretty easy for arsenal, especially if you spec into the dot DR. however, ops are difficult for the same reason that sins are easy. basically, sins cannot avoid burst b/c arsenal can switch to white dmg and cut right through shroud with BB. unfortunately, the uptime on roll + evasion tends to really nerf what you can do with BB and RS. AND if you miss time it, HSM could also get swallowed by roll.

that said, ops will melt if there's someone to hold them in place for a few seconds. try to hit them after a second roll with your channel. hopefully they will burn evasion and you can sneak in a fully buffed rail, with a full channel of BB and a crit HSM. make sure you're always moving too so that you can force him to use roll as a closer. 1v1, ops don't hit very hard if you roll your CDs. but a good op should always be able to escape you at the very least -- imo.

sins you can force to waste their CDs a lot quicker and I find they're much easier to kite. the only thing to really be aware of is not to waste enet or CC on them while shroud is up. if you can do it, enet + RO or enet + punt is an excellent combination because they have to use the main breaker if they want to press the attack at that point. meanwhile, you have created space. never break lolslash, and never break a stun opener, even he uses it to cast crushing darkness (in fact, hope he does this if you have the cure DR talent). maintain faith in your 30% stun DR and pop dcds when you come out of stun. don't blindly enet though. good chance he will shroud at that point. you kinda need to get a feel for the individual then.

these are just general trends. and I'm certain that a more skilled sin will still beat me, and a more skilled merc will beat him. but I assure you that the sin is not checkmating you simply because he's rock and you're scissors. the op, however, is a bit of a different story, imo. 1v1 in a WZ, neither sin nor op should be able to solo you before your teammates have had an opportunity to react.

:2cents:

Edited by foxmob

You mean low slash. The sin tool kit is 3 stuns: spike a 2 sec stun can only be used from stealth, electrocute a 4 sec stun on a one min CD and it has low low slash which is a 4 sec mezz with a 30 sec range. Makes it look like they are throwing a lightsaber at you. This is FAR less control then an operative has.

in regs, you'll see a lot of ppl spec instant WW. I think lolslash is only deception? when it comes to control, sins are a lot more annoying than ops b/c that CD is ridiculous. and a sin could theoretically CC 3 ppl at once: mind mezz, WW, lolslash, and still be able to stun a 4th target.

:rolleyes:

but dat flash bang and h2f. oye!

Edited by foxmob

Nothing to say but use your cooldowns well.

Oh, and Rocket Out gives you CC immunity, so you can dodge low slash and whirldwind with it.

I've yet to see a merc dodge my whirlwind with rocket out. I don't doubt it can be done, but you have to see it coming... And if you're the primary target, he probably will be using it on someone else anyway. LS can be dodged easily.

To OP - as a sin/shadow, the hardest part is sticking to a merc that can kite. Save hydraulics until after force speed, mainly. Stun through deflection if possible. Try to force shroud early on, and keep away... Deception has a really hard time closing gaps.

For hatred, the exact opposite - don't let them kite you. If you have cure talented for 30% DoT reduction, you can kite them as well.

Its good to stun then when deflection is up but they can still be taking immunity on def so you may end up wasting hard stun. I often try to Concussion Missile them when they have def up and if that is resisted then kite. Also dont use HSM on deflection or shroud really - You should then kite and just use BB or RS. Dont break opener stun cuz its either sap or 2 sec spike. You can break follow up hard stun if you want ( but 30% redu could be more beneficial) lolslash is less dangerous and really just a gap closer. Ps they will often start with shroud up that when you shoud use BB and after there will be a gap before deflection is up and you should fit HSM then for full dmg.

Nothing to say but use your cooldowns well.

Oh, and Rocket Out gives you CC immunity, so you can dodge low slash and whirldwind with it.

only if speced into it and its a questionable choice IMO as i feel that point is better spent elsewhere.

Nope.avi

It's baseline, hover over the ability.

Only DURING the rocket out, not after, and it cannot be used while imob or hindered. To prevent leaps pull after you must spec into smoke screen.

Are you seriously suggesting that that rocket out can somehow be timed against 2 instant cast skills? I realize this is star wars but your taking using the force a bit too far if thats your position.

Only DURING the rocket out, not after, and it cannot be used while imob or hindered. To prevent leaps pull after you must spec into smoke screen.

Are you seriously suggesting that that rocket out can somehow be timed against 2 instant cast skills? I realize this is star wars but your taking using the force a bit too far if thats your position.

You can use RO against LS, the same way a jugg would use reflect against HSM. The ability is instant, but the animation has travel time.

Against whirlwind, though...

You can use RO against LS, the same way a jugg would use reflect against HSM. The ability is instant, but the animation has travel time.

Against whirlwind, though...

While technically true requires near perfect timing without latency etc... and im not sure its the best use of the skill against them regardless in that situation.

Edited by Floplag

While technically true requires near perfect timing without latency etc... and im not sure its the best use of the skill against them regardless in that situation.

I dunno. I've had it used against against me by good mercs, but I've never managed to pull it off myself... Go figure. They're better than me, for sure.

My latency is ~100ms too. So maybe you have something there.

I dunno. I've had it used against against me by good mercs, but I've never managed to pull it off myself... Go figure. They're better than me, for sure.

My latency is ~100ms too. So maybe you have something there.

it's easy to "time" against channels and snipers (assuming you're not caught in a root/mezz). but it's nigh impossible (for me) to time against instants.

it's easy to "time" against channels and snipers (assuming you're not caught in a root/mezz). but it's nigh impossible (for me) to time against instants.

If you practice enough you can easily dodge a 30m lowslash. And if you know your opponent's rotation dodging stuns is also quite easy.