Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is It just me? Are Scouts a bit OP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Is It just me? Are Scouts a bit OP?

Armonddd
01.31.2014 , 07:36 PM | #341
Quote: Originally Posted by mr_sim View Post
I saw the words "Worthless Peasants" and my brain couldn't get a handle on what the guy was saying and still can't figure it out. What could Peasants have to do with Star Wars anyway? It doesn't even fit a Lore angle.
ITT metaphors and analogies are hard.

(hee hee, anal is hard)
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Bleeters
01.31.2014 , 09:24 PM | #342
Good grief, did the use of one word really require so much discussion.

Very well, I'll explain it again: people stack evasion because evasion actually works, whilst the other options (hull strength, damage reduction, the embarassment that is charged plating for strike fighters) give negibile and/or easily ignored bonuses, and shields cannot be relied upon as much as they should be for survival purposes.

Nerfing evasion would be absolutely fine to me if any of the alternatives were actually worth using.

mr_sim
02.05.2014 , 08:11 AM | #343
Ok so New experience Yesterday with 2.6 launch.

Observation:

My quell SF, mastered cluster missiles, double tick, couldn't seem to get past the shields of Strike Fighters.

I thought well strikes are supposed to be tough no big deal.

Until my Strike started evaporating from Flashfire cluster missiles, my charge focused shields being blown away in one hit.

Like I said this was the observation I had in only a few 2.6 matches, any thoughts?
Striker Pilot - Jedi Covenant - Imperial Forces

<Roving Guns>

Zoom_VI
02.05.2014 , 08:18 AM | #344
There is no component or upgrade available to Flashfire's clusters that are not also available to the Quell.

However was the strike you attacked a Star guard or a Pike? Because SG have access to a reactor, and could have possibly been using the large reactor which would explain why your clusters where not affecting him as much as they where you.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Altheran
02.05.2014 , 09:55 AM | #345
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
There is no component or upgrade available to Flashfire's clusters that are not also available to the Quell.

However was the strike you attacked a Star guard or a Pike? Because SG have access to a reactor, and could have possibly been using the large reactor which would explain why your clusters where not affecting him as much as they where you.
Large Reactor isn't much of a huge improvement... Or at least I think so.

The question I'd rather ask is : was it in Deathmatch ? The Damage overcharge bonus allows insane amout of damage... My Heavy laser stargard (without damage capacitor) hits for 1100 per shot and crits for 1700 under damage overcharge's buff.

Rieverre
02.05.2014 , 11:33 AM | #346
And so, with toning down the amount of evasion and bypass ...

... not a thing has changed. Stings/Flashfires (and the occasional rocket-podding Novadrive/Blackbolt) still rip apart everything they get a bead on including head-to-heading strike fighters.

News at eleven.

TrinityLyre
11.03.2014 , 10:39 PM | #347
Quote: Originally Posted by Rieverre View Post
News at eleven.
It's eleven and I haven't heard anything from you. Is this station still in business?
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

Loadsamunny
11.03.2014 , 10:44 PM | #348
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
Large Reactor isn't much of a huge improvement... Or at least I think so.

The question I'd rather ask is : was it in Deathmatch ? The Damage overcharge bonus allows insane amout of damage... My Heavy laser stargard (without damage capacitor) hits for 1100 per shot and crits for 1700 under damage overcharge's buff.
Burst DPS is king in Starfighter, so being able to survive it is of the highest importance. Thus, Large Reactor is the best. Having stronger shields is going to save you more often than weaker shields that regenerate faster, because too often will be the case where you'll be vaporized before your shields even have a chance to regenerate.

Also, evasion my ***. Went up against Gunships in my last match, and they were hitting me with Railgun EVERY TIME. I was hitting Running Interference AND Targeting Telemetry and they were STILL connecting with every shot.

I'm starting to think I'm the one being trolled. Does the RNG not like me or something?

ALaggyGrunt
11.04.2014 , 01:14 AM | #349
If we nerf scout evasion too hard... well, I was in a match against Scrab and a couple of other guys on Serious Night. The only ship I had which I thought could actually kill him was the Quarrel.
My hangar:
Super-low-tier Star Guard. RFL/HLC/conc/retros/QCs. Compared to a scout, it's slow. It had concussion missiles, which weren't going to lock before Scrab-scout could LOS out of it. What's more, if a decent enemy gunship targeted this ship, it was going to get hit. His GS buddy (Leggogurl) was not going to miss if I tried chasing him. Especially not when the rest of my team is Quarrels and trying to stay well back from the dogfights. I already knew from when he was on Harbinger that you do not retro-head-on-pass Scrab with a mastered Star Guard.
Super-low-tier Novadive. I'd taken that exact build against Leggogurl before. It ended very badly. Short story: to get a clean shot, you have to catch him distracted. The only ship which can win a turning fight with a Mangler is a type 2 scout, because it has the maneuverability and can also equip BLC+DF-the Novadive has to be all about surprise, which simply doesn't happen against that many voice chatters.
Super-low-tier Quarrel. Slug rail is reasonably nasty against shields, and brutal if they're down. Throw enough of them at a scout, and you will hit it enough to kill it. And, if I could tag an incoming scout with slug rail, I could kill it with feedback while it was firing (got Yorimoyoi that way, I think). Slug rail, ironically, didn't get me my Scrab kill, though it wasn't for lack of trying. Wingman would have meant a few misses would have been hits. At base level, ion is basically "Hey, you've been painted, MOVE!" or "I see that fortress shield and it needs to come down NOW!", so I spent most of the game lobbing slugs at Scrab, Yorimoyoi, and whoever else came into range while they were at a safeish distance. Still, someone else had ripped his aft shields off, so I chased him and killed with that other OP Quarrel gun.
Super-low-tier Rampart. Forget about chasing, this ship is all about sneaky placement of mines along a scout's probable flight path, and the occasional shots of opportunity when he's distracted. If you can get a scout with either mine, it's going to be hurting: seismic wipes out half the scout's hull, and interdiction wipes out the scout's mobility advantage. Getting a mine into scout's flight path is basically like trying to hit a fly by throwing pebbles at it, cause dropping them on a friendly GS would have been very iffy.
Stock flashfire. Probably should have tried this, but I had enough trouble getting him with a mastered Flashfire on Harbinger and a terrible K/D ratio against him.

The other half of his team was random noob pugs, which is why we won the match. Of course, I don't think most of our gunships had very good situational awareness, which is why the two scouts got so many kills. After I got the feel for the speed of the game (a death to each of them, heh) and started moving before they could get a clean shot at me, they went to massacre the other GS.

Altheran
11.04.2014 , 05:19 AM | #350
Quote: Originally Posted by Loadsamunny View Post
Burst DPS is king in Starfighter, so being able to survive it is of the highest importance. Thus, Large Reactor is the best. Having stronger shields is going to save you more often than weaker shields that regenerate faster, because too often will be the case where you'll be vaporized before your shields even have a chance to regenerate.
Best doesn't mean huge.

And please do not pick random post from February.