Writer for EP 8 and 9 has been picked

jarjarloves

Lawrence Kasdan writer of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and Simon Kinberg writer of the new Sherlock Holmes movies have been picked up to write episode 8 and 9 woo hoo

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-simon-393459

Nice, personally I would have liked Micheal Ardnt to do them all - but then again, I don't know how good he is going to be. As for Lawrence Kasdan, great - Empire Strikes Back was one of the best. Simon Kinbery I'm unsure about, I find it difficult to trust a writer who doesn't already have experience with Star Wars - but that's just me being skeptical.

The guy did a very very good job with Sherlock Holmes. As someone who has read all the newspaper shorts and the novels, and keeps the full collection in my bathroom for light reading, the easter eggs in both those moves that tied right into the stories was awesome. Doyle and Poe are 2 of my very favorite authors of all time.

The guy did a very very good job with Sherlock Holmes. As someone who has read all the newspaper shorts and the novels, and keeps the full collection in my bathroom for light reading, the easter eggs in both those moves that tied right into the stories was awesome. Doyle and Poe are 2 of my very favorite authors of all time.

Easter eggs?

I must say I agree that Sherlock Holmes is a very well written film, and I don't doubt in his abilities. Its just Star Wars is a very delicate world, and knowledge of it definitely helps you navigate.

Just little tidbits tossed in in those movies that made me chuckle. Like the bulldog as a test subject. Moriarty is interesting because im wondering if they will actually pull a sneaky and take the ending of "The 7% Solution" or the actual stories. With Robert Downie Jr. playing the role I think the former would be an excelent twist, but the latter was a very good story as well.

I find it difficult to trust a writer who doesn't already have experience with Star Wars - but that's just me being skeptical.

As if many people actually do that write movies. Unless you're in any way suggesting EU writers have a place at this table.

As if many people actually do that write movies. Unless you're in any way suggesting EU writers have a place at this table.

Of course not. But Micheal Arndt obviously knows how to write Star Wars and is passionate about it. And Lawrence Kasdan has already been involved in the franchise. What's important as well as skill is passion and know how - I mean your typical guy isn't going to know how much hate will come about from doing something such as bringing back Vader. Like I said, its a delicate universe, you need to know about it in order to navigate it.

I think the most interesting thing about Episode 8 and kasaden writing it is that they clearly want it to be dark and have a sad ending like Empire was. I think one of the original 3 characters will die in Ep 8.

Oooh. Uber-cool. I likes dark movies. They're INTENSE.

I think the most interesting thing about Episode 8 and kasaden writing it is that they clearly want it to be dark and have a sad ending like Empire was. I think one of the original 3 characters will die in Ep 8.

And that's good - while Star Wars should always have something of a comical tone, a darker more, emotional installment amongst a saga always works well. Empire Strikes Back of course worked brilliantly, and Revenge of the Sith was also very impactual.

I hope they all write with a similar voice/vein however, otherwise the saga will seem very disjointed in terms of style.

EDIT:

George Lucas had experience with Star Wars, and he made the prequels. Soo...

Lol, while I'm not a big hater of the prequels (RotS is my favourite film) I see your point. But you must admit, the lore was sound and it slotted in perfectly with the Original trilogy (unless your one of those midichlorian haters). It was the cinematography that was at fault, and maybe the storyline at least for the first one.

Edited by Beniboybling

I agree. I think this might be the death of Han Solo movie. If Ford comes back, it makes perfect sense due to his age. Hammil was born in 51 (if I recall right) and Fisher was born in 55 or 56, so those two hopefully have at least 10 years of acting left, if they desire it. Fisher needs to lose some wieght and Hamill needs to grow a beard or use a prostectic, hasn't aged well.

Just make the death worthy of the character. Understand that in 2018 (ep. VIII release I'm thinking) Han Solo will have been peoples hero for over 40 years.

I agree. I think this might be the death of Han Solo movie. If Ford comes back, it makes perfect sense due to his age. Hammil was born in 51 (if I recall right) and Fisher was born in 55 or 56, so those two hopefully have at least 10 years of acting left, if they desire it. Fisher needs to lose some wieght and Hamill needs to grow a beard or use a prostectic, hasn't aged well.

Just make the death worthy of the character. Understand that in 2018 (ep. VIII release I'm thinking) Han Solo will have been peoples hero for over 40 years.

I think it would be more likely that it would be the death of Leia that would cause Luke to go over to the dark side and thus we get the return of Darth Vader.

I honestly dont care how good the movies are so long as they follow one guideline, which knowing Disney I think is doubtful. That they dont trample all over the canon. If they were the best written and acted movies ever, but ignored the canon, I would hate them for that reason. The issue is that if Disney does decide to go against the canon, it wont be little small details that few people know or care about, they will completely ignore all the novels and games that are set after episode 6. Edited by Rauzgriz

I honestly dont care how good the movies are so long as they follow one guideline, which knowing Disney I think is doubtful. That they dont trample all over the canon. If they were the best written and acted movies ever, but ignored the canon, I would hate them for that reason. The issue is that if Disney does decide to go against the canon, it wont be little small details that few people know or care about, they will completely ignore all the novels and games that are set after episode 6.

well you might as well start hating as they said it's going to be an original story. Seeing as Georgy didn't care about the canon when he wrote the prequels why should disney care about it now?

8 and 9? Ok but who is writing episode 7? Please dont let it be george.

Micheal Arndt - he won an Academy Award for writing Little Miss Sunshine, and was nominated for writing Toy Story 3. And ever since 2006 he's being given speeches at writers retreats on the art of storytelling, and in particular why the ending to Star Wars: A New Hope is so creatively satisfying. He knows what he's doing - I hope.

Micheal Arndt - he won an Academy Award for writing Little Miss Sunshine, and was nominated for writing Toy Story 3. And ever since 2006 he's being given speeches at writers retreats on the art of storytelling, and in particular why the ending to Star Wars: A New Hope is so creatively satisfying. He knows what he's doing - I hope.

He's goingto make Ep I look like Ep V ....sad to see he was allowed to touch Star Wars.

are you drunk??? You really think the man who wrote some of the best movies of the past 10 years is going to mess it up more then lucas?

I don't drink.

And lol at your "OMG LUCAS KILLED STAR WARS!!!!" type of post. The man made that franchise, he could do whatever he wanted to, he still has influence, bet that scares your twisted mind; boohoo he didn't make it the way you wanted it.

But to answer the second question: Yes I expect Ep 7 to be a flop and 8 & 9 to possibily make up for it. There was no need for more movies, or at least ones involving the Skywaker legacy, the circle was complete and this is just about money more than ever. It's almost going to be funny seeing a new wave of rage.

Edited by Eillack

He's goingto make Ep I look like Ep V ....sad to see he was allowed to touch Star Wars.

Translation: He's going to make The Phantom Menace look like The Empire Strikes Back - how is that a bad thing? (perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick, or perhaps your just CRAZY! :D)

EDIT: WAIT! I understand (sort of) he's going to make the film soooo bad, that the Phantom Menace will look good! I disagree, your being very quick to judge and I see no evidence to suggest this guy cannot make good star wars films.

Edited by Beniboybling

I don't drink.

And lol at your "OMG LUCAS KILLED STAR WARS!!!!" type of post. The man made that franchise, he could do whatever he wanted to, he still has influence, bet that scares your twisted mind; boohoo he didn't make it the way you wanted it.

But to answer the second question: Yes I expect Ep 7 to be a flop and 8 & 9 to possibily make up for it. There was no need for more movies, or at least ones involving the Skywaker legacy, the circle was complete and this is just about money more than ever. It's almost going to be funny seeing a new wave of rage.

lol not at all. Yes he made the original triology but he is the one who also made the Holiday Special and the god awful 80s Ewok cartoon. Look at Return of the Jedi the entire plot of it is "look the imperials built ANOTHER death star but this one is BIGGER AND MORE POWERFUL"

Lucas was never a god. he is just a guy who made some good movies. I'm fine with him having influence, he does have some good ideas. But the best things about the original trilogy wasn't his.

I'm looking forward to what a writer who actually understands what plot, story development, and good character arcs are.

Lucas does not know what that is.