Crit rates inaccurate

MiaowZedong

When your companion is Influence level 50, you have a 75% base crafting crit rate. This is what the game tells you.

You then have +3% from legacy perks. +2% from guild perk. That is 80%.

On top of that you have whatever gear gives you. Crafting crit boni are flat numbers, so it's not obvious how that translates into percentages.

So the game tells you that you have at least 80% crit chance.

That's not true. Or at least, it's not true for me, and it's not true by a huge margin.

Getting no crits on a five craft queue is suposedly a 0.032% chance. About three in ten thousand. It's happened at least seven times out of less than 60 crafting queues. That's not literally impossible, but it's virtually impossible, and really not acceptable to have that without any kind of bad luck protection. I have zero crits more often than full crits, even though full crits is a 32.8% chance—it should be a common occurence.

Overall the crit rate is less than half that which is advertised, over a sample of a few hundred rolls. Unacceptable.

When you look at the prices and do some maths, you see for the gold augments you have to crit either the CM-1337 or the augments themselves to make a profit (you obviously win the lottery if you crit all the steps, potentially making four augments for one set of the main mats). Otherwise even if you get the mats yourself you're better off selling the mats. But with the game actively lying to you about the crit rate and no bad luck protection implemented, why would you even bother? No wonder they are priced too high for most players to ever afford them, since crafting them for others doesn't make sense.

Edited by MiaowZedong
  • Like 1

While it would be nice if they told you, but I think it's pretty obvious to crafters there are hidden variables.

For example....

I've easily made 10k+ cell grafts, bonded, assembly components and the crit rate on Grade 11 is definitely there.

I have made some 5000 prefabs in the last month, of which I definitely receive the 80% crit rate on these without question.

I have crafted a few hundred blue augments, and I believe I get the crit rate on these

I have crafted around fifty purple augments, and I do not receive a crit rate above 35% on these.

Dark Projects, after crafting the Invasion force, I've made a few hundred and I get the 80%.

So overall I am getting the 80% on the lesser items just not on the purple 284 Augments, leading me to believe there is a hidden modifier on certain items. (Sure, it could be RNG, but the simplest explanation is definitely the line of hidden modifiers for items based on their rating/difficulty)

Is not the 75% crit chance a visual bug? Max crafting bonuses at influence rank 50 were 75% time efficiency and 25% crit chance (1.5% time efficiency and 0.5% crit chance per influence rank). Then there was a bug where those two values were swapped, but were applying correctly. I have noticed that the crit chance says +75%, but I assumed that that was a bug. I am fairly certain that the bonuses are still 75% time efficiency and 25% crit chance.

Is not the 75% crit chance a visual bug? Max crafting bonuses at influence rank 50 were 75% time efficiency and 25% crit chance (1.5% time efficiency and 0.5% crit chance per influence rank). Then there was a bug where those two values were swapped, but were applying correctly. I have noticed that the crit chance says +75%, but I assumed that that was a bug. I am fairly certain that the bonuses are still 75% time efficiency and 25% crit chance.

It will show 75% Efficency, 25% Crit in Companion Window, and 75% Efficency, 75% Crit in Crew Window.

I reported it myself, but nothing ever seems to be acknowledged.

Though crafting so messed at this point, it's just one more thing not working and being ignored.

• 1 year later...

No, I don't think it's bugged, I think it's working, it's just not written super clearly....and then a lot of people don't really know how percentages work.

From what I've personally seen...and I have 6 alts who all exist for literally no purpose other than doing crew skills, so that my 2 mains can have anything I want at any time without needing the GTN...but from what I've seen, with all the buffs added, the crit rate is roughly 1 in 4 (about 25%).
With no buffs, and a level 1 companion, it's more like roughly 1 in 6 (about 16%).

With the understanding that a crit chance is a percentage (obviously), and we assume that the starting point is some nice number (a fair assumption) then we can follow the math:

Let's say the baseline crit rate is 15%, for a level 1 companion (which is pretty close to the about 1/6 that I've personally seen).
A level 50 companion gives you +75% crit rate.  That's not clearly written.  You could certainly see why someone would think that 15% + 75% would be 90%.  Which we obviously know it's not.

Rather, I think what they meant to say is that the rate is *increased by 75%*.  Which is a totally different statement. 
When a number is *increased by 75%* is just the long way of saying that the new number is 175% of the old number (100% of the old number is, of course, just the old number).

So we name the original value A, and the improved value B.  If we figure that B = 175% of A, that is mathematically just saying B = 1.75*A

So if A (the original crit rate) is 15%, well then A = .15
And now B = 1.75*.15 = .2625

Which means that B (the new crit rate) is .2625 -> 26.25%.  Pretty close to 25%, or the roughly 1/4 that I've personally observed.  Makes me think it's right.

So no, I do not think the functionality is broken.  I think it's working just fine.  But the verbal description isn't good, and it can be tricky to remember how percentages of percentages work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...