Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class and Spec with Easiest DPS Rotation?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Class and Spec with Easiest DPS Rotation?

Tythos
11.15.2015 , 03:45 PM | #11
Gunnery Commando/Arsenal Mercenary followed by Sharpshooter Gunslinger/Marksmanship Sniper. The former is simpler while the latter is a tad less simpler but more rewarding.

There's a few other classes that have simple rotations as well but those two have the benefit of having simple rotations and are easy to perform with in an Ops setting.

Cuiwe
11.15.2015 , 06:27 PM | #12
TkT Sage
Arsenal Merc
Marksman Sniper

Either of those is very easy to get a hang of. If I could suggest yet another fun, if simple discipline:

Dirty Fighting gunslinger

It's as easy as apply the dots, follow the rotation. Simple and effective .
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

Corran
11.16.2015 , 09:07 AM | #13
tactics vanguard by far. no contest.

fewest total abiities in the game of any class, needing the fewest keybinds of any class in the game.
only a handful of dps abilities
no rotation - priority system
bleed keeps itself up just from your typical priority system, which means your priority system is really only 5 abilities plus your free filler on occasion.
"No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect." - Corran Horn
http://www.twitch.tv/dixa1

Eksenia
11.16.2015 , 09:30 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Corran View Post
tactics vanguard by far. no contest.

fewest total abiities in the game of any class, needing the fewest keybinds of any class in the game.
only a handful of dps abilities
no rotation - priority system
bleed keeps itself up just from your typical priority system, which means your priority system is really only 5 abilities plus your free filler on occasion.
It isn't hard, I agree, but nowhere as easy as MM sniper or arsenal merc for one simple reason: to squish out that extra dps means having to know when to heat ramp and dump heat. That's something arsenal mercs very rarely do, and MM snipers basically never. It isn't rare to see <random PT SM pugger> overheating in a fit of big numbers enthusiasm and then spamming rapid shots for some ten seconds in order to drop some heat.

My observations say <random SM pugger> performs better as merc or mm sniper than PT, going by either parses when people join up on raid parses or by being mindful of their casts and resource managements.

cool-dude
11.17.2015 , 02:45 PM | #15
I would say Madness Sorceror
I'm a cool dude

Avoxen
11.18.2015 , 02:10 PM | #16
If you don't really care about dps numbers Arsenal Merc/Gunnery Commando would probably be my suggestion. It's literally spam tracer missile and hit your other abilities on CD, use vent heat when around 70+ heat.

If you want the easiest class that puts out competitive dps I'd suggest AP Powertech/Tactics Vanguard. You need to stare at the logic system (about 1/3 of the way down) and practice for a few minutes to get the hang of it - once you do though it's quite an easy spec to play, and does some insane burst with pretty good sustained damage too.

Grimsblood
11.18.2015 , 10:23 PM | #17
I am surprised no one has mentioned Infiltration/Deception Shadow/Assassin...literally 4 buttons for the actual dps. Rest are CD's and gap closers that all the other classes have as well.
DPS is science. Healing is art. Tanking is strategy.
Hippolytà - Level 50 Sentinel - Grimsblood - Level 55 Sage
Saphyria - Level 55 Sniper - Fenrîr - Level 55 Gunslinger

fire-breath
11.19.2015 , 05:30 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Grimsblood View Post
I am surprised no one has mentioned Infiltration/Deception Shadow/Assassin...literally 4 buttons for the actual dps. Rest are CD's and gap closers that all the other classes have as well.
plus it actually shows you when to press buttons. Most of time the button to press has been highlighted for you
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Macewindy - Sab Slinger since patch 1.2 through ups and downs
PugsloveHP - the 96k HP commando DPS/healer
(4.0 HP, currently updating it to 5.0)

Corran
11.19.2015 , 08:52 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Eksenia View Post
It isn't hard, I agree, but nowhere as easy as MM sniper or arsenal merc for one simple reason: to squish out that extra dps means having to know when to heat ramp and dump heat. That's something arsenal mercs very rarely do, and MM snipers basically never. It isn't rare to see <random PT SM pugger> overheating in a fit of big numbers enthusiasm and then spamming rapid shots for some ten seconds in order to drop some heat.

My observations say <random SM pugger> performs better as merc or mm sniper than PT, going by either parses when people join up on raid parses or by being mindful of their casts and resource managements.
both pt/vg and sniper/gs have to weave in basics now. i have both classes at 65. i still find it easier to maintain energy while using fewer of those basic abilities on a pt/vg, and the fact that the class has the fewest abilities of all of the clases in the game, which translates to fewer needed keybinds, puts it head and shoulders above the rest.
"No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect." - Corran Horn
http://www.twitch.tv/dixa1

DomiSotto
11.19.2015 , 02:41 PM | #20
I am a noob, and while I tried a few classes, the ones I get more comfortable with are the ones that are the easiest to 'dial' while not looking at the cast times and the keyboard. I still do not blind type, so I look for a rotation that does not make my fingers fly all over the alphabet. So, I like the ACs that have instants, and easy short priority system.

In that respect nothing beats AP/tactics, really. Once you memorized the opener that takes you through the different buttons, it is literally 1 through 6 depending which one is available, and 2 that lit up, and yeah, hit the basic attack if your heat getting too high, and your 2 HM cds are on CD. Plus one proc, plus one ability to weave in between. The movement is basically unrestricted. You can jump to, you can pull towards you AND you can run super fast.

EZ mode compared to a sniper that has to position, crouch, re-position, re-crouch, see the progress of each attack, has gazillion of skills and there is that point in rotation block where you have to execute the same attack twice in a row... ouch. HARD! ot to mention two procs, armor debuff, diversion, healing debufff...........................................

Don't judge

Also thought that Guardian Vigi was easy, as well as the Commando Assault in terms of rotation itself. But I can't stay on target with a guardian, and have tough time moving and surviving with the Commando (plus overheat is real in one raid I tried so far).
Deal.