Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Queue question for the Devs

zerfius
12.16.2011 , 07:45 AM | #1
I know they are busy, so not sure I will get a response, but I am curious if the devs expect queues to continue much after launch? Or are we are just experiencing them now because they have not fully ramped up the allowable users per server?

This is not a complaint, just a question. I am just curious what their expectations are after launch. I am sure they must have created charts and graphs for anticipated server population.

Thanks.

Amythiel
12.16.2011 , 07:46 AM | #2
Once the hype dies down the queues will disappear. Give it 1-2 weeks after launch.

KiroLM
12.16.2011 , 07:47 AM | #3
Once load balancing at capacity is done, more hardware is thrown in to stabilize both existing servers and new servers to offset the new subscriptions.

Despite the beta, they've probably never been hit like this until now. Patience!

entropyrl
12.16.2011 , 07:48 AM | #4
I think during the holidays on some servers the queue will be horrible , then it will probably get a little better.

but if you go with this forum, 99% of the people cancelled their pre order so should be good after the grace period

Fascion
12.16.2011 , 07:49 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by zerfius View Post
I know they are busy, so not sure I will get a response, but I am curious if the devs expect queues to continue much after launch? Or are we are just experiencing them now because they have not fully ramped up the allowable users per server?

This is not a complaint, just a question. I am just curious what their expectations are after launch. I am sure they must have created charts and graphs for anticipated server population.

Thanks.
You need not wait for a dev response. Yes, queues will continue after launch. If past MMO launch experience is any indication, they will continue to worsen for at least a week. How the devs handle it will determine how bad it remains after that. By the end of the free month period queues will largely have worked themselves out with the inevitable hemorrhaging of subscriptions by people who weren't here for the long-haul.

Maxlord
12.16.2011 , 07:49 AM | #6

Thanks.
The answer most likely is that they will add more servers & ramp up where possible.

All MMOs have metrics that are checked on a regular basis. This is how they notice things like massive credit transfers (Gold seller accounts), speed of leveling - and of course, server populations.

Since the levels now are seemingly much smaller than during Beta, I'm relatively certain they have it set fairly average to watch how it works with (Example, not concrete numbers) 8,000 people per server, and have the ability to increase that as needed.

zerfius
12.16.2011 , 07:50 AM | #7
Thanks for the constructive responses guys. Been through a couple of launches, both terrible, but didn't really remember queues being an issue. This has been the best of the three by a long shot (I know launch has not happened yet, but so far so good).

Zaszamonde
12.16.2011 , 07:52 AM | #8
My bet is the three maintenance periods will add more hardware to the servers to allow more people to play, reducing the queues.
Overkill is underrated.

Fascion
12.16.2011 , 07:59 AM | #9
Thanks for the constructive responses guys. Been through a couple of launches, both terrible, but didn't really remember queues being an issue. This has been the best of the three by a long shot (I know launch has not happened yet, but so far so good).
I think it's largely how the pre-launch has been handled that will make the queues a bit more of an issue for SWTOR than a number of recent MMOs. For example, in Rift, when queues began popping up, new servers were added very promptly before people were able to invest much time into their characters. Here in SWTOR, you have guilds pre-established on servers for ease of get-togetherness and people whom have been playing for days now who feel too invested to consider moving to a low-pop server. Additionally, friends and acquaintances of said invested people will continue to increase the population of those servers, rather than going to the new ones. As such, all of the servers available at launch should be expecting queues for some time.