Should I stop now?

Girofalcon

Hi, I'm having a crisis of faith with my class choice.

With SW:TOR being my first MMO, I decided that I'd go with what seemed to be the most straightforward class: Jedi Knight. I can honestly say I have no experience with using dozens of skills in tandem with each other, so melee dps seemed both the most exciting and simple to me. However, after having a relatively hard time in PvP compared to some of my friends, I decided to check up here on the forum and see what I was doing wrong. Turns out I was right, in that sentinels are arguably the hardest class to play because of the fact that perfection of mechanics is equivalent to mere spamming of tracer missiles from a ranged (level ten's getting 1-3 in damage how?).

Yes, I could master the sentinel with time, but as I said, I'd rather be competent with an easy class before I step it up into the harder one. Also, I relish the story, and so far the Jedi's is kind of bland... Love the morality and honor, not so much the "must save everyone in the galaxy who are obviously just plain retarded" kind of thing. :p That may be an exaggeration, but you know what I'm getting at.

I'm looking at rerolling for a Sage, but I see them a lot and read that they have a reputation for being the cheapest class out there. Is there a class that finds balance between difficulty and skill, but still has the Jedi-esque feeling to it? I figure I'd ask before I might commit wrongly (again).

Thanks for the advice!

:csw_destroyer:

The answer here is simple enough; go for the one path you have not yet touched. Make a Jedi Knight, but go for the guardian tree. The guardian tree will still allow you the fun aspects of your sentinel, but should provide a DPS experience that wears a little heavier armor, so you aren't cannon fodder.

Or, if your concerned about the skill of playing a melee class, you may indeed be a little better off playing a Consular. You would still wield a light saber, but you have the benefit of range keeping you out of "the fire" that melee classes are often subjected to.

To be perfectly honest, you should stick to any ranged class as a straight up 'noob.' Ranged are almost always more forgiving in every sense, in both PvP and PvE (and in PvP there tend to be far more of them, and enough sustained qq changes anything! see op nerfs). Sorcerer/sage or Mercenary/Commando (I would stay away from sniper, since the cover mechanic makes it slightly more complex, at least in PvP or movement situations in PvE) are your best bets.

One of our guild's best damage dealers (at least in pve) is a juggernaut - the equivalent to a jedi guardian. Everyone thinks of those ACs as being designed for tanking only, but they have insanely good damage specs available to them, along with the utility of being able to offtank when needed and being tougher all-around.

I've heard bad things about the Consular story. I played it until 17 ( absolutely nothing, I know ) and it was definitely the worst I've played out of BH, Trooper, Imperial Agent. I'd highly recommend looking into a Commando ( ranged DPS ) or Vanguard ( melee DPS ). Both wear heavy armor and have more survivability than Sentinels.

I personally play a Powertech ( Vanguard mirrior) as my main, and I found the class to be easy and effective.

For a new person like yourself, I would recommend rolling a Mercenary/Commando followed by Sorcerer/Sage. They are the easiest classes in the game to play, literally Commando is almost braindead. If you want a good story, pick the Empire equivalents. Jedi Consular is almost always ranked as one of the worst stories in the game by people on this forum. Some people found the first act of the Trooper enjoyable but I personally hated it. Whatever your opinion on Act 1 is, Act 2 and 3 are atrocious.

To sum it up, pick a Mercenary and/or Sorcerer. Enjoy the Bounty Hunters awesome companions.

Edited by JasonSavo

I still really regret going Scoundrel on my Smuggler. I'd recommend Gunslinger / Sniper. They are ranged (big advantage currently in PVE) and do tons of damage. They also have good defensive abilities even if they are a bit squishy when not in cover (like Surrender, which lowers aggro), and cover gives them range defensive bonuses.

The cover system really isn't that complex, just macro 1 key to "crouch" and ignore the "rolling into cover" mechanic as it's buggy as hell.

If I had the chance I'd definitely change my advanced class from Scoundrel to Gunslinger :/.

Iif you want the best story in the game roll an Imperial Agent! Of course, snipers have their own set of woes and op-eratives are getting nerfed.

If you want to do PvE, though, snipers are fantastic. Competitive DPS, no risk of melee ugliness on encounters with lots of it, and some seriously absurdly good raid utility defensive tools. Diversion is probably the most clutch ability in the game for PvE.

Edited by Narfwak

I still really regret going Scoundrel on my Smuggler.

Then you haven't heard the gunslinger's side of the story.

GS supposedly sacrificed healing at the expense of doing more damage but the damage really isn't that amazing. And the class is like a glass cannon but the least mobile, so if you make aany mistake in pvp, you will end up like a free kill to all classes out there. People always wonder why do gunslingers die so much even in PVE if they come from other classes. So the awesome defense ability that you've heard is nothing but a hyperbole if you are not familiar with the class. Scoundrel on the other hand, is a much more forgiving class than GS.

Moral of the story: continue with what you have now. Every class has its own weaknesses but when you play it long enough, you will know how to handle them. ;)

Edited by MilkPudding

One of our guild's best damage dealers (at least in pve) is a juggernaut - the equivalent to a jedi guardian. Everyone thinks of those ACs as being designed for tanking only, but they have insanely good damage specs available to them, along with the utility of being able to offtank when needed and being tougher all-around.

Which is a little dumb, I guess people just get it into their heads that "tanks r teh tanks" but you never hear anyone tell a Shadow they have to tank.

Guardian DPS is top form, as you said. No reason why someone can't go through the game as a Guardian DPS in both PVE and PVP.

Every class in this game has his good and bad things.

If you wanna be the best of all players in PvP and PvE then you should try every class and max it out, with best gear and then take a conclusion over it.

There is NO other way to find that out, since this forum is all about flaming other classes how bad they are or how OP they are.

The game is fresh and still needs to be repared in some cases.

In your case, I should never read any post on this forum anymore (unless the server/patch info) and enjoy the game.

If you like this game because when you see any movie, you think of yourself as a amazing well skilled Jedi, then go for the Jedi Knight.

Then you haven't heard the gunslinger's side of the story.

GS supposedly sacrificed healing at the expense of doing more damage but the damage really isn't that amazing.

The gunslinger sacrifices healing for range, not for more damage. A DPS spec is a DPS spec.

Can't speak for Sentinals but Guardians are fine... but challenging...

Only a Guardian Focus build seems to shine in pvp. However untill you reach

40+ you will need to do either straight vigilance or vigilance/defence.

Good, luck...

I got my JK to 38 and Im currently rolling up a concelor... so...

Other than JK/jugg, OP should try assassin/shadow. Its quite easy class to start and has some room to improve with skill. Sorcs/sages are fine too but there's just too much of them, though there are lots of assassins too. If you want something interesting and strange I'd advise powertech but its not a force class, though its the reason why there are so few of them. Edited by Vesperr

My honest advice: stop reading the forums and play what you want. If you are having fun, stay with it. If not, try something else. Since you said you are new to MORPGs I will tell you that the forums are always ... confrontational. If you look up hyperbola in the dictionary it will say "facts stated on mmorpg internet forums." The sky is always falling. Someone is always about to get nerfed and someone is always broken beyond anyones ability to play.

The object of the game is to have fun. That's it. So go have fun.

My honest advice: stop reading the forums and play what you want. If you are having fun, stay with it. If not, try something else. Since you said you are new to MORPGs I will tell you that the forums are always ... confrontational. If you look up hyperbola in the dictionary it will say "facts stated on mmorpg internet forums." The sky is always falling. Someone is always about to get nerfed and someone is always broken beyond anyones ability to play.

The object of the game is to have fun. That's it. So go have fun.

reading the forums didnt bring him here his own experience did. Anyways JK/SW is hands down the hardest melee to play in the game(hardest class period). I'd Suggest if you want to melee shadow or scoundrel. Ranged sage or commando.