Why Dual Lightsabers? More of a lore question

Themanthatisi

If 2 lightsabers are potentially better, why would they just not carry 2? Below are 2 examples....

Example 1:

From the movie, EP.2, where Obi-Wan throws Aniken his lightsaber to use against Duku

if its not better, why even throw it to him?

Example 2:

In the mini movie "Return" Satele throws her master her lightsaber, and he does some serious butt-kicking with it until Malgus finally beats him, ironically with a second saber that was ALSO not his. Would he have lost if he only had one?

Why not just have a second one on their waist?

So, is it better to have 2? and If so, why not just carry 2? If its not better to have 2, then why did they use the second one?

Maybe some of you Lore experts can chime in on this...

Edited by Themanthatisi

Why don't fencers use two swords?

Why are the saber staves really cool looking but actually impractical in a lot of cases?

Because there are different styles with different advantages and disadvantages. Which style someone uses depends on what they were trained in and the circumstances of the fight.

Why don't fencers use two swords?

Why are the saber staves really cool looking but actually impractical in a lot of cases?

Because there are different styles with different advantages and disadvantages. Which style someone uses depends on what they were trained in and the circumstances of the fight.

I understand that, but if using 2 sabers can even at times be an advantage, why not carry 2 of them?

Well, think of it like this. You are facing an opponent stronger than you, then he can force your lightsaber into you if they lock together. Now if you did that with one hand, his blade is locked with yours, you have another one to slice his head off with. Also, being someone who plays ping pong with two paddles, once you get good enough, you don;;t have a weak side that could be exploited.

Well, think of it like this. You are facing an opponent stronger than you, then he can force your lightsaber into you if they lock together. Now if you did that with one hand, his blade is locked with yours, you have another one to slice his head off with. Also, being someone who plays ping pong with two paddles, once you get good enough, you don;;t have a weak side that could be exploited.

No one is reading my post in full.. I understand why 2 weapons have an advantage, and in the scenes I referenced, they showed an advantage.. YET, they do not actually carry 2 on them, they had to use one from their companion....

Again, if 2 is or can be an advantage, why not have 2 in the first place?

In any SW lore, does 2 sabers actually give an advantage? If so, do they carry 2? In the scenes I referenced, they carry one but more effective with 2. So, why not just have 2 to begin with? Besides the "cool" factor which is obvious.

Edited by Themanthatisi

Realistically speaking, each style (single, dual, or double) has its own advantages and disadvantages. It's up to the personal preference of the fighter which style they like and master in. Typically, they will only carry the weapons that suit them for what they trained in because (realistically) they will be weaker in the other styles.

So why did they become so much better in the vids when suddenly dual-wielding? I think the first response you got with the link to the tv-trope says it all.

So, basically, there's no real reason why they should've been carrying two, and realistically speaking, there's also no real reason why they should've suddenly been better when using two. They simply did because of the "cool" factor.

Well, think of it like this. You are facing an opponent stronger than you, then he can force your lightsaber into you if they lock together. Now if you did that with one hand, his blade is locked with yours, you have another one to slice his head off with.

The thing about a blade lock is that it's entirely dependent on strength. So if you're able to resist an opponent's 2-handed blade lock with 1 hand, then the disparity in strength is so big that you'd be winning regardless of whether or not you had a second blade.

Realistically speaking, each style (single, dual, or double) has its own advantages and disadvantages. It's up to the personal preference of the fighter which style they like and master in. Typically, they will only carry the weapons that suit them for what they trained in because (realistically) they will be weaker in the other styles.

So why did they become so much better in the vids when suddenly dual-wielding? I think the first response you got with the link to the tv-trope says it all.

So, basically, there's no real reason why they should've been carrying two, and realistically speaking, there's also no real reason why they should've suddenly been better when using two. They simply did because of the "cool" factor.

This is probably only answer as well.... Thinking about the logic used in those scenes to relate to being "realistic" there is nothing besides the cool factor it seems.

Thank you and to the second poster (Jenzali) for the reply... I'm satisfied to know its not a lore thing I just did not understand.

However, if others have more to add in opinion or lore, go for it.

Edited by Themanthatisi

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jar'Kai

There are distinct advantages to dual wielding, true, butdual wielding has the distinct disadvantage of losing out to regular combat if forced on the defensive. This is because of the simple fact that your weight is split between the blades. Tyranus (Count Dukoo or whatever his name is) denouces the dual wield style for this very reason.

Edited by stormdrakelord

Incorrect. Read the Drizzt Do'Urden books by R. A. Salvatore. Read the book "the two blades" where Drizzt takes on Oobould, the Orc King. Drizzt had two scimitars to Ooboulds 1 great sword.

Try and stop a swing like that with a mere scimitar. Good luck with that.

Same rules apply in lightsaber fighting. who can swing a saber harder, guy holding a saber with 2 hands, or the guy holding it with 1 hand.

Furthermore if in a cinch, you're not going to be able to just 'cut my head off'' at will. Your one handed guard is going to try and overpower my TWO hands? Really now? Are you that physically strong? More than likely, you are not going to be.

More than likely, you are going to require that second blade to somehow hold off my single blade shoving with much greater force from shoving your own blade into your face and chest. otherwise, go right on ahead and try to take my head while i shove you blade into you, burn you with your own saber, you lose all focus and i gut you like a pig then take YOUR head.

Go on, ask any real swordsman who uses two blades or even one. There is literally no way a one handed block with a saber is going to stop a two handed strike in brute force. Just is not going to happen, however good you are.

My impression is that an advantage that you can gain by suddenly having two sabers is different from the advantages and disadvantages of carrying two lightsabers to begin with. The lore has that force users can sense to some degree what people are going to do, but depending on how much they're paying attention or how quickly you think, they can still be taken by surprise.

Tossing someone a second lightsaber temporarily gives them an advantage... until the opponent adjusts their style to better counter it. Dual wielding a saber staff and a regular saber has some serious disadvantages, and is probably not their normal style. Same story with the movie, dual wielding two single lightsabers was not his normal style. I note that despite the momentary advantage they got dual wielding they also eventually LOST those fights. Take that as you will.