Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

5,5 Focus Guardian

Cuiwe
10.11.2017 , 09:31 AM | #1
Right, with the nerfbat right into the face of Freezing Force, what should we use in its stead? I use the following rotation, but am having energy / resource problems:

Jump(Leap + Focus) -> Burst -> ZL -> FE -> Slice -> Dispatch -> MS -> Riposte -> Burst -> ZL -> Sunder -> Slice -> Riposte -> Slash -> ROTATION

ROTATION:

ZL -> FE -> Slice -> MS -> Riposte + Slash -> Burst -> ZL -> Sunder -> Slice -> Ripslash -> CF Burst -> ZL -> FE -> ad nauseum

Ok, I'm just about on edge with this. One error will spell disaster. Man, that Freezing Force Ben Irving crap really broke the class!
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

fierohink
10.11.2017 , 10:07 AM | #2
I had been using Skyesora's rotation to success against a dummy that flirted with 10k.

Using the same rotation after the nerf, I struggle in the low 9ks. I have tried replacing FF with Cyclone Slash, Force Sweep, and just keeping FF.

CS is a direct replacement with about 500 fewer dps but no loss of resource.

Sweep is also about 500 dps loss and you run into resource issues. I tried to account for this juggling ZL around to maximize procs. No dice.

Here is my parsing of trial and error to see that I've come back to the original Skyesora rotation and (for now) eating an 800 dps drop.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/321599/0

Cuiwe
10.11.2017 , 12:37 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by fierohink View Post
I had been using Skyesora's rotation to success against a dummy that flirted with 10k.

Using the same rotation after the nerf, I struggle in the low 9ks. I have tried replacing FF with Cyclone Slash, Force Sweep, and just keeping FF.

CS is a direct replacement with about 500 fewer dps but no loss of resource.

Sweep is also about 500 dps loss and you run into resource issues. I tried to account for this juggling ZL around to maximize procs. No dice.

Here is my parsing of trial and error to see that I've come back to the original Skyesora rotation and (for now) eating an 800 dps drop.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/321599/0
Cyclone? Why not the normal Slash at that point? I've been using Skye's too and I replace Blade Storm and Freezing Force with Riposte and Slash. I know that I lost some damage on Blade Storm, but...4 focus? It's not gonna fly, is it? Resource issues.

Why was BS in there in the first place? Some set proc or something I'm not aware of? I know that the discipline doesn't touch it.
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

fierohink
10.11.2017 , 02:31 PM | #4
Mostly because I forgot that they "buffed" ( <== as air quotey as possible) Slash.
The Ebon Hawk - Arthos Legacy
Adote-Knight()Fo'Ton-Trooper()Nolic'Lienad-Sage()Tug'Old-Scoundrel

Qodi'Qar-Inquisitor()Loo'Xa-Hunter()Hal'Cy'On-Sniper()Pra'Gar-Warrior

Cuiwe
10.11.2017 , 02:35 PM | #5
Mostly because I forgot that they "buffed" ( <== as air quotey as possible) Slash.
Hey, it's not that bad. For a budget 3 Focus ability.

fierohink
10.11.2017 , 03:12 PM | #6
Well, you say Budget 3 focus attack, but it replaces a 2 focus attack that you should be using twice per rotation. This makes resource stability a concern on longer fights as you a constantly hemorrhaging focus. Compound that by fights that you may have to move and interrupt your rotation and I can see resource stability breaking viability.

Not to mention even with the best graces of crit-jesus, I've only been able to hit 9.5k since the nerf. I see dark times ahead for those of us that don't switch to Vig.

AdjeYo
10.11.2017 , 04:06 PM | #7
Unless I'm mistaken the following rotation should work:

Raging Burst - Force Crush - Furious Strike - Retaliation - Sundering Assault -Obliterate
Raging Bust - Force Scream - Furious Strike - Ravage - Retaliation - Obliterate + Enrage
Repeat

Where the opener is simply Charge + Enrage. You can shuffle abilities around a bit, for instance you can use Obliterate right after Raging Burst to get it into the increased damage window and take Force Crush to just before the second Raging Burst, that would look like this:

Raging Burst - Obliterate - Furious Strike - Retaliation - Sundering Assault - Force Crush
Raging Bust - Obliterate - Furious Strike - Ravage - Force Scream - Retaliation + Enrage
Repeat

Cuiwe
10.11.2017 , 04:29 PM | #8
Well, you say Budget 3 focus attack, but it replaces a 2 focus attack that you should be using twice per rotation. This makes resource stability a concern on longer fights as you a constantly hemorrhaging focus. Compound that by fights that you may have to move and interrupt your rotation and I can see resource stability breaking viability.

Not to mention even with the best graces of crit-jesus, I've only been able to hit 9.5k since the nerf. I see dark times ahead for those of us that don't switch to Vig.
Vig isn't in a much better state imo. Maybe I have no clue how to play it(probably), but it too has been struck rather heavily by the nerf bat. Imo, Guardian needs another full balance pass. Because it was SO DEPENDANT on Freezing Gimmick that now it thawed...woops!

Besides, who said I'm replacing FF with Slash? I'm replacing Storm with Slash and FF with Riposte. Double Riposte works and is dirt cheap too.

Also, thanks for that rotation. I'll give it a try. Focus appeals to me with its clear cut rotations. It's simple and elegant! <3

Quite unlike that super convoluted Vig crap. Don't like that one at all.

edit: Question: why do you all use Storm / Scream?

AdjeYo
10.11.2017 , 04:41 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Cuiwe View Post
Vig isn't in a much better state imo. Maybe I have no clue how to play it(probably), but it too has been struck rather heavily by the nerf bat. Imo, Guardian needs another full balance pass. Because it was SO DEPENDANT on Freezing Gimmick that now it thawed...woops!

Besides, who said I'm replacing FF with Slash? I'm replacing Storm with Slash and FF with Riposte. Double Riposte works and is dirt cheap too.

Also, thanks for that rotation. I'll give it a try. Focus appeals to me with its clear cut rotations. It's simple and elegant! <3

Quite unlike that super convoluted Vig crap. Don't like that one at all.

edit: Question: why do you all use Storm / Scream?
The reason we use Storm/Scream is because the talent gained at level 28 makes it so that after Leap/Obliterate Storm/Scream generates 1 rage rather than spending 4. This makes Storm/Scream very cost-efficient.

I just checked both rotations on a dummy and they work out resourcewise. I think the second variant does slightly more damage, but I personally prefer the earlier one because it flows such much better in my opinion. Overall I think the rotation without Chilling Scream/Freezing Force flows a lot nicer in my opinion, it's just a shame we do so much less damage without it.

fierohink
10.11.2017 , 07:49 PM | #10
For those that have juggled their rotation, what are you pulling on a dummy old vs. new? Has anybody seen an increase over pre-5.5? Do you have any parse to support your findings?