Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guardian - Focus vs Vigilance vs Defense in Pve/Pvp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
Guardian - Focus vs Vigilance vs Defense in Pve/Pvp

Yelajiwa
10.05.2017 , 09:09 AM | #1
Hello everyone,

I recently started playing SWTOR again to bring my Alts to 70 and noticed that I want to play the whole story again.

To be honest I haven't played SWTOR since the Hutt Cartel Addon and really want to try out the "new" content.

Guardian is my preferred choice for this to happen, but I don't know which Spec I should use.

The last Spec I played has been Defense, but I want to try out something new,like Vigilance or Focus.

Basically, what I want to know is this:

1. Which Spec gives me an advantage in Pve/PvP ? Defense, Focus or Vigilance? I want to be able to melt through the enemies, but still be very durable (read something about skank tanks recently).

2. Is Vigilance more aoe than single target?

3. I have read that Vigilance is superior to Focus in PvP. Is that true? Focus is about burst, how can this be bad?

Thank you for your time and help.

KendraP
10.05.2017 , 12:47 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Yelajiwa View Post
1. Which Spec gives me an advantage in Pve/PvP ? Defense, Focus or Vigilance? I want to be able to melt through the enemies, but still be very durable (read something about skank tanks recently).

2. Is Vigilance more aoe than single target?

3. I have read that Vigilance is superior to Focus in PvP. Is that true? Focus is about burst, how can this be bad?

Thank you for your time and help.
For Pve it all depends on your play style and what you wish to do. I am a guardian tank main who dwebbles in vigi when my tanking talents are not needed. Obviously for tanking, you go defense. For dps guardians, vigi is the sustained/dot spec and focus is the burst spec. With 5.5 very near, I should mention the nerf to freezing force's dot. More on this in the aoe section. Suffice to say I go vigi for dps purely because I caught on to it easier.

For PvP it's a more difficult question. Again, my experience with focus consists of one evening so I'm not the one to address that spec. On the vigi vs defense front, I am a tank main anyway, who quit PvP tanking in 5.0 due to guards going to dps specs. I eventually got sick of being splattered all the time and went skank when I realized just how little my tank gear did for me. (In my mind note skank = tank spec with dps gear, in my case endurance heavy).

Vigi is indeed very aoe heavy currently. It is certainly perfectly viable for single target as well, however. The nerf to freezing force might hurt on this front. Which brings me to that point. I am hoping that the buff to dots brings us back to where we are now, so essentially nerfing aoe to keep single target sustained the same. I'm hardly an expert on the dps front but that's my two cents. Note that in guild runs there are two fights I've topped our dps in: DF on 2nd boss (yay aoe, vigi's strong point) and karraga from KP (yay reflect fire on cooldown).

I shouldn't try to answer vigi v focus questions really, leaving this for someone who has more than 4 hours experience attempting it. I go vigi for dps simply because for me it was easier to pick up.

Yezzan
10.06.2017 , 02:56 AM | #3
For PvP : Defense Guardian, end of story.

Vigilance is the BEST spec, in terms of SWTOR Jedi feel. I love it.

CosmicFoolNZ
10.10.2017 , 08:08 AM | #4
Vigilance. All the way. I out DPS every other member of my raid team on the regular and I make skank tanks run in fear for their healers in PvP. Or look down on their corpses with contempt when they don't make it. Vigilance is power personified