Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Official, lightly moderated, "Underworld" chat channel for players registered as 18+

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Official, lightly moderated, "Underworld" chat channel for players registered as 18+

Alec_Fortescue's Avatar


Alec_Fortescue
05.26.2014 , 02:57 AM | #1
Everyone has a need for trash talk, politics or swearing and whining in general chat from time to time. Instead of sending warning and issuing bans to such players give them a place to unload their frustrations. :>

By having an official and obvious Underworld channel we might see less of these talks taking place on the fleet. Players would be able to opt out from seeing this channel, just like with the others. Whiners would have a place to go to, thus reducing the traffic on the General chat, especially on the fleets.

I know players can make their own channels but the point is to make an official place for this kind of players to go to.

Of course, some sort of stuff like links to restricted pornographic material and gold selling would be punishable.

TLDR: Give players their own playground for shouting, yelling, whining, swearing, insulting, bragging so they won't spam the fleet. Making it official would ensure that many players join and participate in such environment willingly.

emeraldon's Avatar


emeraldon
05.26.2014 , 03:22 AM | #2
Chances of people using this = Slim to none.

Most people who vent want others to see what they whine about to get a reaction / to troll. They wouldn't join an almost dead channel (because most people would turn off said channel) and vent to themselves.
Stroke my Wookie - Darth Malgus

Alec_Fortescue's Avatar


Alec_Fortescue
05.26.2014 , 03:26 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by emeraldon View Post
Chances of people using this = Slim to none.

Most people who vent want others to see what they whine about to get a reaction / to troll. They wouldn't join an almost dead channel (because most people would turn off said channel) and vent to themselves.
That's why we'd like Bioware to advertise it :[

And instead of giving certain people banks for the chat (they do that) they could force them to join that channel temporarily :>

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
05.26.2014 , 04:56 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Alec_Fortescue View Post
That's why we'd like Bioware to advertise it :[

And instead of giving certain people banks for the chat (they do that) they could force them to join that channel temporarily :>
If a player is doing something in general chat that would be worthy of a ban, moving them to another "channel" would not make what that player is doing any less worthy of a ban.

Or are you suggesting a way for players to be able to "bypass" the TOS restrictions on chat?

The rules are the rules. Each and every player signs and agrees to abide by the TOS, including those portions of the TOS that pertain to chat. Maybe players should try abiding by those rules, instead of looking for ways to "get around" them, or avoid the consequences for violating them.

ZooMzy's Avatar


ZooMzy
05.26.2014 , 06:14 AM | #5
Or better idea:

If you don't like someone being vulgar/venting in a chat, put them on ignore so you don't have to see it. Instead of wasting resources, effort, and time to create a channel that you essentially are trying to argue for as if there is a need to police general chat.

Get some thick skin please.

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
05.26.2014 , 06:27 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ZooMzy View Post
Or better idea:

If you don't like someone being vulgar/venting in a chat, put them on ignore so you don't have to see it. Instead of wasting resources, effort, and time to create a channel that you essentially are trying to argue for as if there is a need to police general chat.

Get some thick skin please.
Even better idea:

Abide by the rules to which you agreed when you signed the TOS. Abiding by those rules will ensure that you do not find yourself on the receiving end of any BW "disciplinary action".

ZooMzy's Avatar


ZooMzy
05.26.2014 , 09:10 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Even better idea:

Abide by the rules to which you agreed when you signed the TOS. Abiding by those rules will ensure that you do not find yourself on the receiving end of any BW "disciplinary action".
Go ahead and report me then if you feel as if I did something wrong.

Because if you actually read the rules of conduct, here is the definition that is outlined:

"Harassment is also any behavior that is incessant, inescapable, derogatory and directed specifically at you or your group. Before reporting, a genuine attempt to alleviate the situation should be made by leaving the area or the offending player, or asking them politely to stop. If a sincere attempt has been made to solve the problem and the offending player persists in the behavior, it should be reported."

Let's take a look at the four phrases being used here:

-Incessant
-Inescapable
-Derogatory
-Directed specifically at you or your group

Which one of those words above would actually counter the argument that vulgar and abusive chat is "harassment", which is the specific act that violates the ToS? Easy enough:

-Inescapable

Why? Because you have the /ignore function to remove the typing of another player, therefore you can "escape it". Same with one or even two whispers, depending on the content of said whispers. Trash talking and vulgar chat in general will never be a type of action that the devs will warrant intervention in, simply because it isn't harassment if it is escapable. Not to mention, CS can't be bothered to stick their nose in every little dispute someone has with another, only to take action against arguments that go too far which always evolve into real harassment.

Again, get some thick skin please.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
05.26.2014 , 09:54 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ZooMzy View Post
Go ahead and report me then if you feel as if I did something wrong.

Because if you actually read the rules of conduct, here is the definition that is outlined:

"Harassment is also any behavior that is incessant, inescapable, derogatory and directed specifically at you or your group. Before reporting, a genuine attempt to alleviate the situation should be made by leaving the area or the offending player, or asking them politely to stop. If a sincere attempt has been made to solve the problem and the offending player persists in the behavior, it should be reported."

Let's take a look at the four phrases being used here:

-Incessant
-Inescapable
-Derogatory
-Directed specifically at you or your group

Which one of those words above would actually counter the argument that vulgar and abusive chat is "harassment", which is the specific act that violates the ToS? Easy enough:

-Inescapable

Why? Because you have the /ignore function to remove the typing of another player, therefore you can "escape it". Same with one or even two whispers, depending on the content of said whispers. Trash talking and vulgar chat in general will never be a type of action that the devs will warrant intervention in, simply because it isn't harassment if it is escapable. Not to mention, CS can't be bothered to stick their nose in every little dispute someone has with another, only to take action against arguments that go too far which always evolve into real harassment.

Again, get some thick skin please.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct
Those same rules of conduct include this gem:

"To keep the Service a compliant, fun, fair and safe gaming environment for everyone, you may not engage in any of the following behavior:

Disrupt the flow of chat with vulgar language, abusiveness, hitting the return key repeatedly or inputting large images so the screen goes by too fast to read, use of excessive shouting [all caps] in an attempt to disturb other users, “spamming” or flooding [posting repetitive text]."

So, despite the fact that players have an ignore option, you would still be in violation of the rules of conduct and the TOS if you chose to use vulgar language in chat.

Maybe you should try following the rules instead of trying to put the blame on others if you find yourself on the receiving end of any BW disciplinary action.