Why are Mercs/Commandos considered under powered?

ChaseEnglish

I simply do not understand this. I have a level 42 Commando, and I do great in PvP matches. I am either top of the leader boards, or very close. I average out at about 12 medals a match, and in some cases, the reason my team wins. I am in the gunnery tree, which is said to be the under powered tree of the under powered class. So, am I just that good, and everyone else needs to L2P, or am I just really lucky and get put with really good teams, and really bad enemies?

You're level 42. That's why. You're not dealing with experienced, optimized, and organized PvPers. You're dealing with a bunch of randoms in leveling gear.

couldn't have said it better.

wait til 50, get in a RWZ...

all of you questions will be answered.

You're level 42. That's why. You're not dealing with experienced, optimized, and organized PvPers. You're dealing with a bunch of randoms in leveling gear.

That makes sense, in a sense. But that still does not explain how I'm able to do so well against the "OP" classes, who are also leveling. Most other Comandos/Mercs I play with are usually down at the bottum. They are in the same situation as I am. So, why is it that I'm stilll able to do so well?

So, why is it that I'm stilll able to do so well?

Most likely because you're not a complete idiot, like most people tend to be while they're leveling.

It honestly sounds like you're just fishing to compliments now. You're doing well because you're dealing with a smaller population that is vastly less organized and competitive. The people in said "OP" classes are likely either low level (so they don't have the abilities and talents that actually make them both dangerous and effective) or they simply don't know how to use their abilities properly (like interrupting which is pretty much guaranteed to lock you down hard as a Commando/Merc, using CDs so that they can just laugh at your damage, using stuns and slows and immobs so that you can't even get away).

It's not because you're somehow so awesome that you break the mold. It's because you've yet to deal with people that actually know one any of the multitudinous methods by which your class can be rendered irrelevant. It's not that complicated. Wait until you hit level 50 and start doing some competitive content before you decide that you've somehow struck upon some magical combination of strategy and skill that allows you to overturn the collective knowledge of pretty much everyone that has come before you.

Ironically enough I topped most damage charts with my Hybrid Sorcerer when I was in the 40s as well.

It is almost as if any level 40-Geared AC will horrendously trump the pristine level 30s and 20s who lack all of their class skills and have yet to max out a single spec.

PVP-Balance is a subject for EndGame, which is level 50, play.

Follow up with us after you waltz into your first Warzone decked out in Recruit Gear and face off with War Hero equipped Marauders, Snipers, and Tanksins.

I simply do not understand this. I have a level 42 Commando, and I do great in PvP matches. I am either top of the leader boards, or very close. I average out at about 12 medals a match, and in some cases, the reason my team wins. I am in the gunnery tree, which is said to be the under powered tree of the under powered class. So, am I just that good, and everyone else needs to L2P, or am I just really lucky and get put with really good teams, and really bad enemies?

Oh the darling optimism of a first-timer pre-50. Wait until you reach 50...then you'll be back singing a different tune; regardless if your class is actually underpowered or not.

Even Operatives, lowest DPS in the entire game, are nothing to mess with sub-50 in the hands of a capable player.

Exactly, the forums are fillled with people complaining about how under powered these classes [Merc/Commando] are, and I seem to be doing pretty well for the under powere (sic) class.

Merc dps is in fact one of the most powerful PvP classes in the game when in a match filled with low skill players. The main issue for low skill players is target acquisition. A low skill melee player will frequently lose 50% of more of his GCDs simply to being unable to acquire a target, get within range of a target and keep frontal facing to a target. Target acquisition on a Merc is significantly easier. This alone accounts for most of the success of the Merc dps subclass in sub-50 PvP. Now add in that low skill players tend to have difficulty using interrupts, defensive abilities and stuns - if those are even available to them in sub-50 PvP.

But this all changes in lev 50 PvP. Experienced melee players lose far fewer GCDs to target acquisition. They interrupt more frequently, and Mercs are the dps subclass most vulnerable to interrupts. Skilled players use the defensive abilities more effectively, and Merc have the fewest defensive abilities of any subclass. And skilled players use their stuns more effectively - and you guessed it - Mercs have the fewest stuns of and subclass.

All in all, the Merc dps subclass has all the trademarks of bad class design. It is overpowered in combats involving low skill players and underpowered in combats involving high skill players. As such, it is OBSOLETE once your skill develops.

Not to mention in sub-50, how many players will you face with Expertise gear? At those levels, all your attacks are basically equivalent to hitting PVE mobs. Come to lvl 50 where everyone is decked out with Expertise gear, augmented for best optimization, entering combat with Stim, Adrenals and Relics popped.

Yep, in a few weeks you will be coming back here about how your Grav Round is only doing triple digit damage while others are 3-shotting you solo.

Well speaking from a merc perspective we do good dps but in pvp we are getting constantly shut down/ interrupted and since all our damage is tied to TM...... Also we dont have abilities to stay at range. You get the idea. Dumb players dont know to shut us down early, that changes at 50. Speaking from an arsenal spec btw. Firebug is better but has similar problems same with bodyguard.

I play my commando as gunnery at 50 pvp and kick ***. Its about knowing your classes abilities and conditions to which you can counter many classes and get great dps numbers. I hit 500k every match in damage. Never mind that that is PUG groups at that. If your a commando running in to the center of battle u deserve death! No sympathy for you because that just means you havent a concept of the commando class. There distance fighters such as slingers and snipers but have more usefull protection skills to keep distance when approached.