is the 2sec off the Quell cooldown worth sacrificing a bit of damage from RS?

BranBrolo

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301ZrsMrZfhMbdGGM.1

this is the build i tinkered with (41 pwrtech here) so in theory would this build be good or is it better just to buff railshot?

If you are looking for a more utility dps build, it'll be fine the way you have it. Otherwise if you don't get Hitman there is no point going above 6 points in AP in a Pyro build really.

this is the build i tinkered with (41 pwrtech here) so in theory would this build be good or is it better just to buff railshot?

The theory is sound. My issue with all these bells and whistles in the AP tree, is Resolve. If you and I are running after a ball carrier and my dart is on cooldown and yours isnt because of your spec, there is a good chance it wont make a difference if his resolve bar is capped.

I take it you want to reach quell for the healers. In my opinion, with the right rotation, and good timing on the normal CDs, adding more dmg to your burst by going with TD or up to 9% aim with ST, is more bang for the points. But that's just me. I normally do not have issues with a healer. But even in the few occasion where I cant take him down because of heat or a mistimed interrupt, I still take him out of the equation. If he is spam healing himself, you pretty much won.

Edited by Agooz

You can keep maxed Armor Pene and get the interrupt with 6-sec cooldown with 4/12/25:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/#specs

A top Vanguard on my server runs 4/12/25, and after talking to him about it and trying it for myself, I can vouch for the spec kicking ***. I was running 4/6/31 for over a week after getting 4-pc Eliminator, but I think 4/12/25 is the more well-rounded spec for PVP.

I know folks will be skeptical of passing on TD, but keep in mind that TD competes for the GCD with RP and FB, and when you are <10m from the target, you're probably better off spending GCDs on RP and FB to reset RS, so that you can use it again with the +15% Crit Chance from 4-pc Elim plus the 90% Armor Pene.

RS just wrecks people.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

I was running the 31pt TD spec and it does do some good burst dmg. I did some reading and found that the 8/8/25 does a bit more with higher AIM.

I would say at about +1500 AIM mark. (please note I am no theory crafter and I could be talking out of my ***)

Thing I like about this spec is that it gives quite a bit of DMG increase to FB and RS which is higher priority within 10M.

Getting Quell is situational IMO and sofar I am not having problems with rotating Quell with my stuns/pulls to have a healer interrupted, however **** does get whack once resolve is full.

I think I'll give a try and see how it feels.

@ Taugrim : Tehkattak, that's how you sound in all your PT/VG vids :p

I respectfully slightly disagree.

Using the Pyro spec, CG can in full DPS gear including power gen, you're extremely squishy (compared to IF w/ shield and Ion gas). Sure, you don't mind staying short range in a 1v1 fight, but you definately don't want to draw all the attention in larger fights. So, since you're not hanging around in right in the face of that caster for long periods of time, you don't really need the Quell talent.

Also, I find that I'm not exactly spamming Flame Burst in order to reset the proc. When the RS cd is almost done (say under 5 secs), and my heat is typically not close to 0, I often prefer to cool off rather than try to proc the RS. It's nice to be able to unload on a new opponent starting with IM without immediately hitting 40+ heat. (This means that, without RB, and not spamming FB, Hot Iron does less good than Prototype Electro Surge).

All this imho =)

Edited by Gnugthreeonefive

I respectfully slightly disagree.

Using the Pyro spec, CG can in full DPS gear including power gen, you're extremely squishy (compared to IF w/ shield and Ion gas). Sure, you don't mind staying short range in a 1v1 fight, but you definately don't want to draw all the attention in larger fights. So, since you're not hanging around in right in the face of that caster for long periods of time, you don't really need the Quell talent.

Also, I find that I'm not exactly spamming Flame Burst in order to reset the proc. When the RS cd is almost done (say under 5 secs), and my heat is typically not close to 0, I often prefer to cool off rather than try to proc the RS. It's nice to be able to unload on a new opponent starting with IM without immediately hitting 40+ heat. (This means that, without RB, and not spamming FB, Hot Iron does less good than Prototype Electro Surge).

All this imho =)

IMO, it is better to be safe than sorry. Being cheap on FB spam to stay optimum during a pvp may cost you the fight that you probably had in your pocket. IMO, it is better to go all out, especially when you are not at full health. It is better to get your kill and die, than to conserve and maybe loose the kill and/or still die.

I find myself using IM less and less. If I am in the face of my opponent, I see no reason to go IM instead of FB.

Also, I find that I have more problems waiting for the resolve bar to cooldown, than my heat to cooldown, which makes Prototype Electro Surge imo useless.

Right now I switched back from TD to 8/8/25 and it is working great for me. I get my 9% aim, full RS damage potential, 6% extra on FB (my most used ability). And eventhough Burnout is a great finisher, I find that when I get someone to under 30%, by then they either panic or feel helpless and dont even try. To me the initial 70% takedown is extremely important.

Edited by Agooz