I emplore you Bioware, please let us dye the Lore outfits.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not once has anyone (that i can recall anyway) stated that they are doing it just to annoy us. But that it is a licensing issue seems pretty implausible since BOTH companies that might own the licensing also own the licensing of this game. Something else (other than either "licensing" or "doin' it just to annoy us") is most likely behind this odd decision to not allow dying of lore (and below lvl 15 orange items) chestpieces, but allowing colour matching of all the other pieces and even having dye-slots on the purchasable headpiceces (revan and nihilus).

You keep making assertions re: licensing when you have no idea of the licensing details. I am merely speculating.

There is no real reason for you to not allow us to dye them.

You have no idea what the reason is. You don't like it, so you say there's no real reason. Well there obviously is a real reason. They wouldn't do it for no reason at all.

Then why are you even on the forums talking about something that is intrinsically trivial?

Why are you?

I'm lobbying to keep dye slots out of "lore" armor. If dye slots were added, I might even use them. But "there's no real reason" smacks of "conspiracy theory."

You keep making assertions re: licensing when you have no idea of the licensing details. I am merely speculating.

And you keep making assertions as well. You have no clue what the licensing is, but we both know that the license is owned by one of the two companies involved in this game, and thus it shouldnt be any problems to work out any possible licensing issues. And for the record i didnt say it was impossible, i just said it was implausible. Just like you keep saying it is plausible. So as for assertions and speculations we are on the same level, but you keep trying to devaule my argument by saying that i dont know what i am talking about (thusly making it seem like you do know what you are talking aobut).

You have no idea what the reason is. You don't like it, so you say there's no real reason. Well there obviously is a real reason. They wouldn't do it for no reason at all.

You know full well that it was an expression. Thre is a reason, since they in fact are keeping us from dying it. The reason may be anything from a serious one (like licensing would be if that were the issue) to completely bonkers (maby the current boss at bioware austing loves calo nord and wont let anyone sully his memory by changing the colour of his outfit)... but there IS a reason.

Im just saying that whatever that reason is, its not gonna be a good one in most peoples eyes.

Why are you?

I'm lobbying to keep dye slots out of "lore" armor. If dye slots were added, I might even use them. But "there's no real reason" smacks of "conspiracy theory."

If you yourself is here arguing (verociously) about a "trivial" matter, you really should refrain from telling others to stop arguing against you because its a "trivial" matter.

Definately does not seem trivial when you are putting so much effort into arguing about it.

Oh and im here because i dont consider it trivial (duuuh!)

Edited by OddballEasyEight

I'm of mixed opinion on the dying of lore outfits.

On the one hand, OMG please don't tell me that that particular piece of armor worn by so-and-so was the only one ever made in the whole galaxy and therefore never had any other color variants running around theoretically. That's just a bit much to swallow, really.

On the other hand, I can understand the idea of keeping the lore outfits "special" and recognizable for what they are and who, in history, the represent.

But...if I had to support and either/or "side" on this issue, I would side with the ability to dye them based purely on the logic that it's not very likely that only one of any particular "outfit" was ever made in the whole of the galaxy. It seems more lore-appropriate to me to realize that what made these personalities special wasn't the outfits they were wearing but the impact they had as persons. So I say...yes...let us dye the lore outfits so we can express a little bit of our own character's individuality and uniqueness as well rather than make us all look like carbon cookie-cutter copies of so-and-so and each other.

And you keep making assertions as well.

I flatly stated I was speculating. "Speculating" != "making assertions."

You have no clue what the licensing is, but we both know that the license is owned by one of the two companies involved in this game, and thus it shouldnt be any problems to work out any possible licensing issues.

You keep saying that, as if repeating it over and over lends weight to what you say. You have no idea what "should" or "should not" be a problem.

And for the record i didnt say it was impossible, i just said it was implausible. Just like you keep saying it is plausible.

It is the most plausible reason. Certainly more plausible than your "no reason at all."You dismiss it because you don't like that "lore" armor is non-dyable and are just certain there's no good reason for it.

You know full well that it was an expression. Thre is a reason, since they in fact are keeping us from dying it. The reason may be anything from a serious one (like licensing would be if that were the issue)

You're dismissing "licensing" as if you know for a fact that that's not the issue. You have no idea what the real issue is. Yet you insist the most plausible explanation is impossible.

to completely bonkers (maby the current boss at bioware austing loves calo nord and wont let anyone sully his memory by changing the colour of his outfit).

Is that just an expression, too? If not, that is a totally ridiculous reason.

but there IS a reason. Im just saying that whatever that reason is, its not gonna be a good one in most peoples eyes.

If it is licensing, then there's no better reason than that. And I think it's pretty clear at this point that no BWEA employee is going to give you an answer.

Definately does not seem trivial when you are putting so much effort into arguing about it.

Oh and im here because i dont consider it trivial (duuuh!)

Then we have to wonder why you invest so much energy into worrying about something as trivial as a game. Because TOR, like all games, is inherently trivial (unless you have a financial stake in its success). Do you get this worked up over which token you get to play in Monopoly?

Yes you can dye Thana Vesh's outfit but not Mira's?

Thana is a SWTOR character. Mira is a KOTOR character.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I don't have any objection to that. I think it would be nice if the top tier of crafting for each item removed all restrictions and allowed it to be used on any class.

Note that I do think, however, it should be an empty shell.

There are quite a few orange/purple armor pieces I would like on other toon's, but since they are a class that can't wear the piece, I can't. I really fail to see why the class should matter. It would leave more room for REAL customization and open up the looks in the game wider. For example: There is a light armor head piece my Synthweaving Sorc can craft I would love to have on my Marauder, but can't since it is not available for that class. Very annoying and pointless to not have available.

So imo ALL orange gear should be wearable by ALL classes. As well as ALL orange gear being dyeable. Since, as I said in an earlier post, there are a few pieces that aren't still (non lore). Open it up for us Bioware, give us some more options and freedom.

Then we have to wonder why you invest so much energy into worrying about something as trivial as a game. Because TOR, like all games, is inherently trivial (unless you have a financial stake in its success). Do you get this worked up over which token you get to play in Monopoly?

Than why sir have you written a near dissertation about it if it is "trivial"? Seems you need to point the finger back at yourself.

Edited by DarthVengeant

There are quite a few orange/purple armor pieces I would like on other toon's, but since they are a class that can't wear the piece, I can't. I really fail to see why the class should matter. It would leave more room for REAL customization and open up the looks in the game wider. For example: There is a light armor head piece my Synthweaving Sorc can craft I would love to have on my Marauder, but can't since it is not available for that class. Very annoying and pointless to not have available.

So imo ALL orange gear should be wearable by ALL classes. As well as ALL orange gear being dyeable. Since, as I said in an earlier post, there are a few pieces that aren't still (non lore). Open it up for us Bioware, give us some more options and freedom.

Than why sir have you written a near dissertation about it if it is "trivial"? Seems you need to point the finger back at yourself.

I've always wished they would open up an appearnace paper doll where you can place -any- armor you want for it's appearance knowing that any stats on armor when used in an appearance tab or vanity area would have no effect. This would allow you to "look" any way you want regardless of class while still wearing the mod'd gear you need to to play the game.

Would greatly appreciate a response from the devs on this one.

Especially when to explain their reasoning for restricting lore items only protects the chest.

1. we can unify past it on everything else.

2. Revan/Nihilius's Mask have dye slots in the rep versions.

A "near dissertation." Thy hyperbole cup runneth over. Perhaps a quick look at the dictionary entries for "observation" and "curiosity" will aid you in your future endeavors.

For all my questioning, no one has offered up a reason why they get so worked up about it. It is what it is.

Revan/Nihilius's Mask have dye slots in the rep versions.

Those are bugs, perhaps?

I've always wished they would open up an appearnace paper doll where you can place -any- armor you want for it's appearance knowing that any stats on armor when used in an appearance tab or vanity area would have no effect. This would allow you to "look" any way you want regardless of class while still wearing the mod'd gear you need to to play the game.

That is exactly how LotRO and EQ2 (I believe, in EQ2's case) do it. You can also enable/disable the display of all armor pieces except chest and legs in LotRO.

Obviously BWEA decided not to do that and I'm pretty sure it's too late now.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Saw someone on fleet with a Dye'd Nihilius mask. Apparently the Contraband Rep ones can be dyed (that doesn't apply to the version you unlock when you get the Rep one though).

So if I want a dyeable Revan/Nihilius mask I have to buy tons of Contraband packs?

BW, you said no dyeing lore gear and then you made it so the paid Rep gear can be dyed! I want a dye slot for the non-Rep ones! *Stomps foot*

Edited by AshlaBoga

• 2 months later...
Wouldn't mind if we don't get the dye slot outright, but one that is craftable and have to be applied like the augment slot. Anyway, BioWare showed in the past that they sometimes listen, for example the stupid alignment restriction on colour crystals was removed, now I hope that BioWare is goind and remove this stupid restriction here too.

So you want to be unique by having your Sith wear something 100s of other players put their Siths in.

:rolleyes:

The variety increases exponentially the more things can be customized.

Artificially limiting that variety by restricting the amount of colors and the items that can be recolored makes no sense if you are going to allow the recoloring in the first place.