Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

Are people prepared to possibly lose decorations when the servers merge?

Ratajack

I know that the FAQ says:

"Strongholds and Decorations

Active Strongholds will be unaffected by the United Forces update. If you have Strongholds from more than one Legacy coming together, both will be added to your list. If you have more than one of a specific Stronghold (such as multiple Coruscant Apartments), they will both be retained and accessible. If the combination of the two Strongholds takes you above the cap of six, they will all be retained. However, you cannot activate new Strongholds until you return to a number below the cap.

Decorations are not impacted by the United Forces update. If you have more than one Legacy which are combined as part of the update, you will have access to each decoration equal to the highest decoration among your Legacies. Ex: On the “Skywalker” Legacy you have 4 Basic Metal Chairs, on the Organa Legacy you have 15 Basic Metal Chairs. After the update, you will have a combined Legacy with 15 Basic Metal Chairs. It is possible that you may end up with more decorations placed than you own after the update. If this happens, you cannot place any more of that decoration until you go below your owned value. "

The highlighted part is not necessarily true, though. I think BW did not fully think this through.

The number of decorations available will be determined by the highest number of that decoration on a single legacy, even if every one of those decorations on each legacy were legitimately obtained.

Example:

Johnny purchased 5 GTN kiosks, one for each of the 5 servers on which he plays. He places one in his Nar Shadaa stronghold on each of those servers.

The highest number of GTN kiosks he has in any legacy is one, although he purchased 5 of them. If I understand the FAQ correctly, this means that when the servers are merged, he likely will be left with ONE GTN kiosk, not the 5 he purchased.

Another factor that BW may not have considered is what happens if the same hook has a different decoration on each server? Which decoration takes priority?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was looking at that. Not too excited about it but I guess that you copy your deco's with you when doing a server transfer right now and it would be a helluva cheap way to get loads of extra decorations.

Mind you...with 10 SHs as the new limit, I really hope BW realise they need to create a large influx of decorations into the game or all our SHs are going to look very much the same. We really need a lot of basic items in more colour varieties for example.

I mean what's the point of having 10 SHs if more and more of your SHs share the same items in larger amounts. That's kinda boring.

I only have one legacy on one server so I'm as prepared as I can be.

Haven't been around long enough to spread myself out.

I had two. My main one on JC and another fledgling one on Harb. I deleted the stuff on Harb.

Fingers crossed this all goes well...but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Decos themselves? Not really. I'm not worried about things that normally go with your during normal transfers. I'm not so calm about the rest that normally is lost. It's supposed to be all there, but things and hiccups happen, so if it doesn't go as planned......

Why not just pick up the items in the strongholds that are the least decorated? Then you have an empty stronghold that shouldn't clash with the decorated one, especially since we will be at cap on strongholds.

That still does not address the potential for decorations to be lost.

Let's go back to Johnny.

He purchased those 5 GTN kiosks and used one for each of his legacies on the 5 east coast servers. He has one in each of his 5 Nar Shadaa strongholds now.

Even if he "picks up" four of those kiosks, he will still have only one kiosk per legacy. That means that FOUR of the kiosks he purchased will, in all likelihood, simply disappear when the servers are merged, even though he paid real money for the CC's he used to purchase those kiosks.

They way they are doing it doesn't make sense for anyone who actually bought decos and decorated on multiple servers.

Even though I didn't pay any extra for decorations, I am now looking two decorated strongholds from other servers that will get added to my line-up...but I'll be over my allotted decos, so I'll never be able to remove or redocorate those SH's again without losing every item in them. That stinks.

As far as I understood it, for now the solution is not to pick decorations up, either before or after the merge. That seems to be the only way to keep all the decorations from different legacies.

As per what it says on the blog post:

Ex: On the “Skywalker” Legacy you have 4 Basic Metal Chairs, on the Organa Legacy you have 15 Basic Metal Chairs. After the update, you will have a combined Legacy with 15 Basic Metal Chairs. It is possible that you may end up with more decorations placed than you own after the update. If this happens, you cannot place any more of that decoration until you go below your owned value.

Meaning, the person with five GTN kiosks on five servers better be completely fine with where those kiosks are placed right now because their owned amount is now one and they only still have the other four because they had been placed during the merge.

Picking one up will make it disappear, simple as that, because as far as the new legacy is concerned, it never existed.

Going back to bioware's example, the person with those legacies has 19 chairs placed, but after the merger they only own 15, so picking one of the 19 up will mean it can never be placed again, because the now owned 15 are still already placed. Meaning that chair seizes to exist.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but that is how I understood it.

As far as I understood it, for now the solution is not to pick decorations up, either before or after the merge. That seems to be the only way to keep all the decorations from different legacies.

As per what it says on the blog post:

Meaning, the person with five GTN kiosks on five servers better be completely fine with where those kiosks are placed right now because their owned amount is now one and they only still have the other four because they had been placed during the merge.

Picking one up will make it disappear, simple as that, because as far as the new legacy is concerned, it never existed.

Going back to bioware's example, the person with those legacies has 19 chairs placed, but after the merger they only own 15, so picking one of the 19 up will mean it can never be placed again, because the now owned 15 are still already placed. Meaning that chair seizes to exist.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but that is how I understood it.

That is how I understand it as well.

I have to believe this was just an "oversight" by BW and they did not think through all the potential problems associated with strongholds and decorations and the ramifications that merging multiple legacies would have on players' decorations.

I just cannot fathom why BW is willing to cause players to lose decorations they legitimately obtained, including some that likely required real money expenditures.

Thankfully someone is here to bring down the positivity these forums have experienced...:rolleyes:

So true. Decos are attached to your legacy and if you move around they pick up any you may have added like a sponge.

Example: You move from EH to Shadowlands, now SL has all the decos from both servers.

Now if you are talking about the possibility that you may have to redecorate I can't relate because I often deactivate and reactivate just to start fresh because I usually have five times the decos I started out with in 2013 when strongholds like Tat were new.

That is how I understand it as well.

I have to believe this was just an "oversight" by BW and they did not think through all the potential problems associated with strongholds and decorations and the ramifications that merging multiple legacies would have on players' decorations.

I just cannot fathom why BW is willing to cause players to lose decorations they legitimately obtained, including some that likely required real money expenditures.

I saw it the same way and I am not prepared to lose decorations that I spent real money buying. Keith or Eric or someone from the staff needs to make a post about how they intend to protect our paid-or-with-cartel-coins decorations. Not all of us have strongholds full of chairs BW.

So true. Decos are attached to your legacy and if you move around they pick up any you may have added like a sponge.

Example: You move from EH to Shadowlands, now SL has all the decos from both servers.

Now if you are talking about the possibility that you may have to redecorate I can't relate because I often deactivate and reactivate just to start fresh because I usually have five times the decos I started out with in 2013 when strongholds like Tat were new.

Wrong. If you move from EH to Shadowlands now, your number of decorations on Shadowlands will be the higher number of decorations between the two servers. For example, if you have 10 basic chairs on EH and 2 basic chairs on Shadowlands, you will have 10 basic chairs on Shadowlands after the transfer, NOT 12. If you have 20 basic bunks on Shadowlands and 5 on EH, then you will have 20 basic bunks on Shadowlands after the transfer, NOT 25.

Decorations are NOT "additive" when changing servers. If they were, players could just transfer back and forth, increasing their decoration totals, including those rare, expensive ones, with each transfer. Until now, that has not been an issue as the decorations that were on the "origin server" remained on the origin server and thus were not "lost".

When the merge happens, there will be no "origin server" left on which the decorations can "remain", though.

Edited by Ratajack

That's surprising seeing that if you transfer legacy decoration get added together.

I've transferred quite a few characters over the years and decorations have never been "added together" for me.

If they were "added together", someone could purchase a single high ticket item, then transfer a character back and forth a few times and end up with dozens of that item.

Example:

Johnny purchases a single luxury spa decoration for 50 million credits. He transfers a character to another server, giving him a luxury spa on each server. Then he transfers a character back, giving him 2 on the original server and one on the second server. The next transfer results in 2 on the original server and 3 on the second server. Another transfer back would yield 5 on the original server and 3 on the second server., and so on.

This is why decorations are not "additive".

As I noted earlier, this was never an issue previously, as the decorations remained on the "origin server" and, therefore, were not "lost".

Now, with the server merges, the origin server is going to disappear and when it does, there will be no "origin server" left on which the decorations can remain, leading to the potential loss of legitimately obtained decorations, some of which may have required a real money expenditure.

I pretty much have made my peace with whatever happens I'm fully prepared to lose my names and decorations. I just hope after all is said and done we actually start having GM's in game and Fleet chat is no longer such a toxic wasteland.

I know it's probably too much to expect, but it may be easier since they have fewer servers to manage.

I pretty much have made my peace with whatever happens I'm fully prepared to lose my names and decorations. I just hope after all is said and done we actually start having GM's in game and Fleet chat is no longer such a toxic wasteland.

I know it's probably too much to expect, but it may be easier since they have fewer servers to manage.

Me too. I've calculated I'll lose about 2000 cartel coins in decorations from stuff directly bought off the Cartel Market. Yes, that's a lot, but at this point I value what we'll get out of the merge more.

Edited by xordevoreaux

but you do realize you will keep all SHs, even if it is over the limit. and if they all come with their decos, you would keep your 5 kiosks. they are not merging all SHs into one. so no, I don't expect any deco to be lost. the only issue that will come into play where you will lose any decos, if you are over the limit of said deco. and that is only if they don't raise the cap on how many each deco you can have

but you do realize you will keep all SHs, even if it is over the limit. and if they all come with their decos, you would keep your 5 kiosks. they are not merging all SHs into one. so no, I don't expect any deco to be lost. the only issue that will come into play where you will lose any decos, if you are over the limit of said deco. and that is only if they don't raise the cap on how many each deco you can have

It appears that you do not fully understand what is likely to happen.

Please go back and carefully re-read what has been written, several times, if necessary.

If Johnny now has 5 kiosks that he purchased, spread out over 5 legacies. Each legacy has one kiosk in it's available decorations. When the servers are merged, the new server will show only ONE kiosk available, even though Johnny purchased FIVE of them. Even if all of the kiosks are placed and he has 5 kiosks placed, he can never move any of them or he will lose the first four he tries to move.

I can explain it, and I have done so several times, but I cannot understand it for you.

Edited by Ratajack

It appears that you do not fully understand what is likely to happen.

Please go back and carefully re-read what has been written, several times, if necessary.

If Johnny now has 5 kiosks that he purchased, spread out over 5 legacies. Each legacy has one kiosk in it's available decorations. When the servers are merged, the new server will show only ONE kiosk available, even though Johnny purchased FIVE of them. Even if all of the kiosks are placed and he has 5 kiosks placed, he can never move any of them or he will lose the first four he tries to move.

I can explain it, and I have done so several times, but I cannot understand it for you.

good call on rereading it again. it seems you are correct. hopefully there will be a fix for this.