"Super" Energy Shield!

Agooz

Blargh. I was thinking that the base CD for shield was one minute, but it's actually two minutes. If it was one minute, with energy rebounder firing at full speed and an 18 second shield, you'd only be unshielded for something like 6 seconds before you could use it again, and I was getting visions of a new kind of tank build for PVE. But it's actually a good deal longer than that. :/

It's still amazing, CD comes down to like 40 seconds, so you're unshielded for like 22 seconds if you're constantly being beat on. Even with just the 3 sec medic for PVP ( i go 2pc tech/2pc medic) it's still awesome, usually up everytime someone comes to the node I'm guarding after beating them once. Even had one guy whisper me I was hacking cause my shield was up everytime he came to the node.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still amazing, CD comes down to like 40 seconds, so you're unshielded for like 22 seconds if you're constantly being beat on. Even with just the 3 sec medic for PVP ( i go 2pc tech/2pc medic) it's still awesome, usually up everytime someone comes to the node I'm guarding after beating them once. Even had one guy whisper me I was hacking cause my shield was up everytime he came to the node.

Certainly for PVP this seems amazing, just because of the way PVP tends to flow. Personally I'm more into PVE, so that's what I usually think about.

Does anyone have some PVE parses for one of the hybrid tank/dps builds that grabs Energy Rebounder? It sounds like the consensus is "while in tank stance, hybrid build does worse dps and mitigation than pure tank; while in dps stance, hybrid build does much better dps and much worse mitigation than pure tank." If that's the case, for 8-mans I could see the #2 tank using such a build for EV (where you really only need a second tank for the turrets at the beginning) or KP (where you only need a second tank for Jarg+Sorno and Fabricator), but it seems like it would not be very effective for EC (where you need a second tank for...basically all of the fights).

Even with the base 2min CD it is worth considering for a large portion of the end game content. I have posted a thread on a PvE tank build that I myself successfully tried even on some HM EV/KP boss fights.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=432203 (Bubble Tank)

I don't see it being viable at all for end game. Let's define end game, because I think your view and mine might differ.

I define end game as the last content released at the hardest mode available. Currently, that is Explosive Conflict HM as it drops Campaign and Blackhole (61) level gear.. Story mode is not end game, it drops Rakata (58) level gear. Same goes with all levels of EV/KP. That isn't end game, that is previous tier.

While this build might work in EV/KP with people that already severely outgear the instance, it doesn't matter to me in the slightest. What matters is how it would perform for progression in the current/next tier. I can either break it down here or in that thread, but either way you slice it is a bad for current end game content.

Certainly for PVP this seems amazing, just because of the way PVP tends to flow. Personally I'm more into PVE, so that's what I usually think about.

Does anyone have some PVE parses for one of the hybrid tank/dps builds that grabs Energy Rebounder? It sounds like the consensus is "while in tank stance, hybrid build does worse dps and mitigation than pure tank; while in dps stance, hybrid build does much better dps and much worse mitigation than pure tank." If that's the case, for 8-mans I could see the #2 tank using such a build for EV (where you really only need a second tank for the turrets at the beginning) or KP (where you only need a second tank for Jarg+Sorno and Fabricator), but it seems like it would not be very effective for EC (where you need a second tank for...basically all of the fights).

It's not about which is better. For just straight out Tanking on a traditional raid boss, Full Tank is the way to go. The hybrid Tank is a stance switching build, with Energy Rebounder there to make up some of the lost mitigation, which is specifically 6% Shield change, 8% absorption, 2% mitigation and defenses. So naturally, in tank stance it will also do less dps, but I have not noticed a major threat issue when I test it.

Where the Hybrid tank shines is fights like Soa (final stage), Bonethrasher, Fabricator, Sorno/Jarg, The infernal Council, all of the HM FPs content, running daily content, because the ability to switch to DPS mode and make things much more efficient. Also consider bosses that do mainly Elemental Damage. Neither EV/KP require a second tank or even an off tank build.

EC is where the end game content changes. This is where you start needed 2 dedicated Tanks. At this point, it's the only end game content where going in with a hybrid spec is really not worth it. You never need to switch to DPS stance, even on trash, so what's the point.

Edited by Agooz

I don't see it being viable at all for end game. Let's define end game, because I think your view and mine might differ.

I agree with you. My definition of end game includes all the PvE content at lvl50. Obviously your view would be different if all you are running is NiM KP/ HM EC. But the vast majority of PT Tanks arent doing that, and sometimes being in all out Tank spec/gear is just less efficient.

Curse you Agooz! You've made me have to grind out two more war hero pieces for the medic bonus! Though the new weekly reward has helped.

It is well worth it. The issue is with the other 2pc PvE Supercommando set and how to efficiently upgrade them. The best option is to wait for 1.3 I guess, get augment slots on them and just not put the WH armoring.

It is well worth it. The issue is with the other 2pc PvE Supercommando set and how to efficiently upgrade them. The best option is to wait for 1.3 I guess, get augment slots on them and just not put the WH armoring.

Wait... I can't just transfer the campaign armoring to some augmented armor that has war hero mod/enhance? I'll lose the bonus?

Wait... I can't just transfer the campaign armoring to some augmented armor that has war hero mod/enhance? I'll lose the bonus?

Yes campaign armor mod will work, but you will lose 50expertise per piece. I guess it is another option. Approx +35Aim/ +18End/-50Exp in comparison to the BM mod.

Well, that energy shield, if its the skill that you get, that has a 2 minute cooldown, doesn't help you at all anyway, with it or without it, if i am going to die, i die the in the same amount of time, so i never use it, i am thinking with a hefty 2 minute cooldown, it should be 75% reduction, but thats just me.

Well, that energy shield, if its the skill that you get, that has a 2 minute cooldown, doesn't help you at all anyway, with it or without it, if i am going to die, i die the in the same amount of time, so i never use it, i am thinking with a hefty 2 minute cooldown, it should be 75% reduction, but thats just me.

wow, so do you just randomly pick a thread, look at its title, and reply? lol

I think you missed the discussion in this entire thread. It's about the Energy Rebounder Talent, that significantly reduces the cooldown of Energy Shield. 25% Damage reduction is nothing to laugh at, ignore, or dismiss either.