Good job Bioware!

hadoq

Well, with all the rants from entitled, spoiled kids (just before you start posting a rant on how you paid and everything should be perfect, just think of all the kids in the world who don't even know what internet is, those who harvest the cocoa to make the very chocolate bar you're eating, probably half your age or less. Or those living in warzones, you get my point, or you don't, whatever...)

Anyways, I've been playing since april-ish or so, doing mostly solo, some grouping. Bought a subscription for myself and my son (this is his first MMORPG) who is also a star wars fan.

We've been having a blast, trying out all the classes, enjoying the game.

I've been a first time subscriber of SWG which was, in my opinion, the greatest MMORPG ever (it actually changed my life in that it gave me the courage and confidence to make my own business, seeing how my virtual business was doing ingame).

I didn't have much hope in SWTOR, but got a calm period of time in my business so I decided to give it a try. Of course, it's more wow-like than swg-like, but I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to a realistic MMORPG anymore anyway.

The hybrid class system is very well designed and while I usually play tank exclusively, I found myself enjoying heal and dps as well. so well done here bioware.

The storyline is great for all classes, immersive and well designed. The legacy system is brilliant, especially for players like myself who like to build characters then start over with different classes, it makes the grind much easier and less painfull.

Space combat is definitely behind, maybe take some ideas from SWG there, SWTOR lacks the social aspect that SWG had in space (multiplayer operated spacecraft, spaceship crafting, bosses etc...)

The graphics are beautiful as well as easy on the computer

All the "little tools" are also usefull, group tool, pvp/warzone tool, the map is great.

and the game is getting better and better.

of course there are issues, but as a player for more than 25 years now (I was born just before the video game era started), I understand that such a complex piece of software, designed to work on so many and different computers is bound to have little bugs. In that regard, I admire your reactivity in addressing those.

Obviously, with the world as it is now, and as a parent myself, I can only disagree with the attitude of entitled brats, asking for perfection from others, but not even able to spell their own native language. It's not my first MMORPG so I'm used to the same rants from the same kind of people; those who don't understand that there always are two sides of everything, one good, one bad. if you focus on only seeing the bad, your life will be miserable (just like most people out there), if you do focus on the good, things are pretty nice for people like us, living in dominant countries. The fact that we can access internet, and play games with people all over the world is a miracle of technology that even the brightest minds couldn't think about just a couple of decades ago. And I'm glad the gaming industry went along with it.

SWTOR is a great MMORPG, of course it's designed for a wide audience so it's very accessible and simplistic (try eve online) but it's fun, and that's what games are all about, fun. I'm having fun with SWTOR and I'm happy to keep subscribing.

keep up the good stuff Bioware, haters gonna hate, it's their own life that they make miserable with such an attitude. But I'm glad you guys at BW make my life a little better by releasing such a great game and sticking with it the way you do.

I Agree with your post, while i really enjoy the Game it really lacks on End Game Content and i wouldn't mind seeing another Act IV in the future for all Classes which really got me hooked into SWTOR. Also, i would love the Space Combat to improve alot because the current Space Combat is fun here and there it's really nothing more but like an iPhone Game and i rather see the Open World Flight Space Combat from Star Wars: Galaxies to be implanted to the Game. I know alot of you People claim that's not possible but it is possible and there are Single Developers out there that used the Hero Engine that also is being used in SWTOR to demonstrate that the GameEngine can pull that off very well and i would also like to beable to customize the Interior of my Spaceship or change the color of my Spaceship or even purchase a new one. Not to mention that i would enjoy seeing a Vendor being added in the future maybe were we could go to to dye our Clothing to the color we want and maybe see some more effort put into releasing new Gear instead of Re-releasing the same old Gear Models with different colors and renaming them into something else. Other then that the Game is great. Edited by Ravanofdarkness

well said good sir, we all find bugs annoying, especially when they are major like this one, but they happen and it seems that it will be fixed within 24 hours and all those 'spoiled brats' as you call them probably feel very silly right now....or are too stupid to even notice

I have also been gaming for nearly 20 years and appreciate seeing rational-minded souls on any forum

Well, with all the rants from entitled, spoiled kids (just before you start posting a rant on how you paid and everything should be perfect, just think of all the kids in the world who don't even know what internet is, those who harvest the cocoa to make the very chocolate bar you're eating, probably half your age or less. Or those living in warzones, you get my point, or you don't, whatever...)

Okay, so because the world is a hard place to live, i should not expect to get what i paid for....

All those things you list are terrible, but there are lots of ways to help make the world a better place, but on these forums i will talk about SWTOR as thats what they are here for, if i want to discuses how the help starving kids in Africa, i will go to who.com, you get my point, or you don´t, whatever....

I agree completely with the OP... being 41 of age and also about 25 years of gaming I think I (we) can judge somewhat better on this then a lot of the negative guys around ... Also : NOTHING is only negative or positive, posting only negative things is just unfair and not right (like a lot on these forums do).

Also : NOTHING is only negative or positive, posting only negative things is just unfair and not right (like a lot on these forums do).

True, but posting only positive or discouraging people from posting what parts of the game/service/product they feel need improved is not good for the game or the consumer.

Rather than discouraging people from complaining, calling them names or saying "others have it worse so don't complain" it's far better for us all if people are instead encouraged to post their complaints constructively. Encourage people to discuss the good and bad so that Bioware/EA can get an idea of what people enjoy and don't. What they'd like to see etc.

Yes I find the game fun, yes I've encountered very few bugs personally and while parts of the game do frustrate and have room for improvement the games still worth (imo) the money I choose to pay to play it. That doesn't mean I can't expect improvements and it doesn't mean I shouldn't criticise or complain when my expectations aren't met. 2 recent examples are the cartel coin issues (players not getting complimentary ones or ones they've purchased) and the companion gear bug that makes them very frustrating to use.

I'd agree with the OP on most points.

The monthly subscription is less than I'd spend in an hour at the pub or on a couple of packets of cigarettes if I smoked and isn't really an issue for me. I'm more upset if I buy a "boxed" game for the price of 3 months SWTOR subscription that I then finish in 8 hours. I certainly get more than 8 hours SWTOR play in a month, let alone in 3.

Yes there are a few problems, the end game for one, bugs for another.

My main gripe is BioWare's QA process or apparent lack of before patch release. The fact that old bugs reappear from time to time smacks of a lack of automated testing or very poor automated testing.

Let's be honest graphical bugs can be notoriously difficult to track down and are more difficult to unit test, but basic data handling (such as the recent companion bug) is easy to test automatically and bugs should be caught before patches are released.

In the same vein if players are having problems with certain functionality on the test server then it shouldn't be included in a release. It's far better to release less functionality THAT WORKS in a patch than a lot that doesn't. Quality not quantity is what we're after here.

I'm more upset if I buy a "boxed" game for the price of 3 months SWTOR subscription that I then finish in 8 hours.

Out of all the points ever raised on these forums THIS I agree with the most.

While I may not hang around sw:tor full time and only play for a month here and there I do get my months worth when I do play.

I had the misfortune of buying Dungeon Siege 3 when it was released and paid full price (£39.99). Not only was it a pretty dire game it literally took me and a buddy 7 hours to complete it 100% (all side quests, the lot) and i've never played it since. For a full price game I class that as terrible.

For the £8.99 I spend here I do get my money's worth of play time. Does the game have issues? Damn right it does. Most of them I can overlook, being a fan of Bathesda games i'm used to incredible amounts of bugs.

The main reason I don't hang around MMO's (it's not just this one, it's all of them) is that I get burnt out quickly. I spent a lot of time in DAoC and did everything I possibly could in that game but now I have a wife and kids and don't get the time I once had to sit in an MMO it takes it out of me. Trying to do so much in a short space of time burns me out faster than having as much time as I want.

But I digress.

When I invest in a month of an MMO then I get that months worth. When I buy a single player game that lasts me a few hours then that irritates me to no end. It feels like a complete waste.

the OP is not telling people not to complain, he is telling people not to act as if the sky is falling and BW is out to persecute them.

Anyone that cant see that is one of the people he is complaining about, now listen carefully, complaining when BW does something wrong is fine, screaming like a whiny child is not, get the difference?

Edited by Chugster

I"ll never understand all the haters needing to come bash the game... really I don't. If you have to say something negative, say and move on. Why stay here and continue to try and poison the game? I also will always continue to believe the minority are the ones who hate because you always see the same names popping up in the "Hate" threads.

Best MMO to play right now imo. Been having fun since headstart, no regrets, no looking back. Still excited to finish leveling my Empire toons so I can start on the Repub side.

Thanks for the great game.

I love this game and i intend to keep playing it because i have fun playing it.

Wether it has issues, wether Bioware has abandoned it for 6 months. Aslong as the support for the game continues and i am having fun i am gonna keep playing.

Everyone who criticises the game knows the game is fun to play. It was content and optimisation/bug fixing that was lacking. They want to punish Bioware for it and i can understand that, but they should also understand that that stance is aimed at killing the game, and i as someone who loves this game and wants it to carry on realizing its potencial will continue to support it.

This is the only MMORPG EVER in wich i like every kind of content. PvE, PvP, crafting (wich i dislike on every other MMORPG) or mini-games. I struggle to find something i dont enjoy in this game. The only thing i can find are the bugs.

Edited by Nemmar

It's the best non-fantasy MMO out there right now, in my opinion. If you took all the best features of every MMO and combined them into one game, then sure, this game would fall far short. I think a lot of the complaining comes from the extremely high hopes and expectations people have from this company, and this particular setting. It's a Star Wars MMO released in 2011... People think it should be at least as good as any other game that has come before it, and certainly better than Star Wars Galaxies. It certainly is better in some ways, at least on par in most ways, and misses the mark here and there.

I want this game to succeed. I love the Old Republic setting, and there's a lot about this game that really stands out in my book. I just came back after my other favorite MMO (City of Heroes) was announced it was shutting down. Looking around, I couldn't find anything that offered any kind of decent gameplay that wasn't based on medieval fantasy, and I'm honestly burnt out on that genre. This is fresh. It's sci-fi, it's mystical, it's Star Wars.

Long live SWTOR!

SWToR is good. But it could be so much better. It had (still has) so much potential if only BW were quicker and bolder in terms of expanding the game. There's so much to do in the Star Wars universe that has nothing to do with traditional raids and canned PvP. Podracing competitions, open space/Freelancer-style game "layer" that could also be expanded to constitute a separate playing field, more layers of economy (not saying it should emulate Eve, but the current economy is rather... simplistic). Trade zones, government taxes, something of a stock-market (that would deal with goods that are of no use to players but boost the simulated economy of whole planets). So much more fun could be done with economy in Star Wars, with Republic, Empire and the Hutt Cartel...

I want a Star Wars universe, but now I have a Star Wars themepark on rails.

Edited by Helig

Stopped reading here.

OP do you realize that with your prelude you invalidated your entire post due to hypocracy and irony?

fair enough, you got a good point here, I'll do just that.

anyway, I still think Bioware did a great job, maybe I'll play their game for a while and have fun :cool:

FYI, it's actually my job to

(youtube link for those who are curious), that's what pays for my subscription and other stuff. Edited by hadoq

I'm having fun with SWTOR and I'm happy to keep subscribing.

keep up the good stuff Bioware, haters gonna hate, it's their own life that they make miserable with such an attitude. But I'm glad you guys at BW make my life a little better by releasing such a great game and sticking with it the way you do.

This, thanks for putting my thoughts into words. As my first MMO (I swore i'd never touch one, but caved...) i'm having fun. I'm enjoying the story, and there are as always some great players online who help out when needed. Can't fault BW for the support, for something so complex it really can't be that "simple" to keep up and running.

So i'll add my voice of thanks. :)

Anyways, I've been playing since april-ish or so, doing mostly solo, some grouping. Bought a subscription for myself and my son (this is his first MMORPG) who is also a star wars fan.

We've been having a blast, trying out all the classes, enjoying the game.

I've been a first time subscriber of SWG which was, in my opinion, the greatest MMORPG ever (it actually changed my life in that it gave me the courage and confidence to make my own business, seeing how my virtual business was doing ingame).

I didn't have much hope in SWTOR, but got a calm period of time in my business so I decided to give it a try. Of course, it's more wow-like than swg-like, but I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to a realistic MMORPG anymore anyway.

The hybrid class system is very well designed and while I usually play tank exclusively, I found myself enjoying heal and dps as well. so well done here bioware.

The storyline is great for all classes, immersive and well designed. The legacy system is brilliant, especially for players like myself who like to build characters then start over with different classes, it makes the grind much easier and less painfull.

Space combat is definitely behind, maybe take some ideas from SWG there, SWTOR lacks the social aspect that SWG had in space (multiplayer operated spacecraft, spaceship crafting, bosses etc...)

The graphics are beautiful as well as easy on the computer

All the "little tools" are also usefull, group tool, pvp/warzone tool, the map is great.

and the game is getting better and better.

of course there are issues, but as a player for more than 25 years now (I was born just before the video game era started), I understand that such a complex piece of software, designed to work on so many and different computers is bound to have little bugs. In that regard, I admire your reactivity in addressing those.

Obviously, with the world as it is now, and as a parent myself, I can only disagree with the attitude of entitled brats, asking for perfection from others, but not even able to spell their own native language. It's not my first MMORPG so I'm used to the same rants from the same kind of people; those who don't understand that there always are two sides of everything, one good, one bad. if you focus on only seeing the bad, your life will be miserable (just like most people out there), if you do focus on the good, things are pretty nice for people like us, living in dominant countries. The fact that we can access internet, and play games with people all over the world is a miracle of technology that even the brightest minds couldn't think about just a couple of decades ago. And I'm glad the gaming industry went along with it.

SWTOR is a great MMORPG, of course it's designed for a wide audience so it's very accessible and simplistic (try eve online) but it's fun, and that's what games are all about, fun. I'm having fun with SWTOR and I'm happy to keep subscribing.

I heartily agree. People who get so astonishingly angry about bugs and glitches need to get a grip and see that if this is your biggest problem, you've got it easy.

"Well, with all the rants from entitled, spoiled kids ..."

I pretty much stopped reading your post at that point.

I would recommend to you a very old book by Dr. Normal Vincent Peale, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" Starting out your comment with condescension will not win many converts.

Read that book MANY years ago -- it's timeless advice.

Waaaaah! Somebody please think of the children!!

Nothing like some insulated soccer Mom coming on a game forum to say everyone is a spoiled child because someone is dying in Dafur and a toddler made our Nike's. Thanks for your 2 cents and all, but maybe come back when you're not riding high on hyperbole and become less of a rehashed caricature. lol :D

I've been here prior to launch and have no intention of leaving. I am having fun.

Is there problems ? Yes. But there is a better way to bring that to the attention of BW. Most of the posts I have read they complain there are bugs etc but yet very few actually state what is wrong. Just stating bugs needs fixed or they need to change something without actually listing what is wrong does no good.

Yes you can say well they should know it has been mention before but it makes more sense to list the problems than just to complain for the sake of complaining.

When I see something that is wrong, I will let BW know but I also let them know what is wrong, like the ship bug so they know exactly what issue I am bringing up.

This is what should be done with a problem or a bug so they actually know what issue you are addressing. Just saying bw this or that does not help the situation.

Edited by ScarletBlaze