Force Users Companions

Zalgred

I am wondering why all the jedi, knights and consular, companions in swtor are females and the consular/shadow type... The same goes for the sith force users, warrior and inquisitor.

Why couldn't i had as a jedi knight or sith warrior a padawan thats a healer? or a consular/sage get a jedi knight companion that uses that style of play.

Lord Scourge is the only male force user companion that not fit in the above statement.

Bioware has a fixation to jedi women and jedi shadows/sith assassins.

Edited by Zalgred

Sith Inquisitors get a Sentinel as well as an Assassin (which happens to be male). I have a feeling the presence of a sage or sorcerer companion would critically break the game to the point of everyone's head exploding from the awesomeness (or complaints).

while your post is hard to understand...

jaesa, ashara, nadia, kira ... all women force user companions.

lord scourge is the only male force user companion.

is what i think you were trying to get at.

anyhow, personally i think you should be able to choose your companions like picking a team.

this is not like mass effect where its ok if i dont like my companions, because once i beat the game i wont hear them anymore.

this is a mmo. if i get a companion i dont like im going to be hearing him for years if the game is good.

i stopped playing my shadow after i got Theran because i cant stand his personality and after listening to his space combat lines i just couldnt see this being part of my daily routine and making me happy about it.

there is a serious disconnect in this game between whats acceptable in a single player short term game, and whats acceptable in a long term mmo game.

Edited by -Fritz-

Sith Inquisitors get a Sentinel as well as an Assassin (which happens to be male). I have a feeling the presence of a sage or sorcerer companion would critically break the game to the point of everyone's head exploding from the awesomeness (or complaints).

Yeah...

I wonder what do the female players think when they role a jedi/sith and find that most of the force user companions they will get will also be females, so no romance with them...

I always though that jedis should be able to take an npc as their padawan and then apply the voice to it, fermale or male depending on what they choose, and also choose how do you want to make them progress, as a tank, dps, healer, etc...

While it would have been possible for them to have had a more free-form companion system (choose a gender, choose a role, choose a look), it would be harder to write the characters into the story without giving you that option up front.

For Kira to become a Nautolan Male tank with a body type 3 or 4 would be hard to justify if she originally appeared as a lightly armored human female.

My ultimate hope, which I have posted on the old boards, the beta boards, and have almost certainly posted here before, is this:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1) Bioware adds a new companion for every class. Pick a role (melee tank, ranged tank, melee DPS, ranged DPS, healer).

2) This companion comes to your character in a cut-scene, and opens up an exclusive class mission line.

3) You can choose to keep this new companion, or the one that you have now.

The details would vary from class to class, but the idea would have short and long-term goals:

Short-term:

1- Give every class a 'lighter' and 'darker' companion for every role.

That's easy. You want to be mister dark-side with nothing but other dark-siders around you? This makes it possible with a single pass.

No, companions are not truly light or dark-side, but they certainly like it more if you do certain things, and those things tend to be light or dark in nature.

Long-term:

1- Give every class a light and dark male, female, and at least one 'other' (non-romanceable alien or droid) for every role.

The 'other' could be expanded to include a 'male' and 'female' droid as well as males and females from any number of different alien species.

2- Expand the story based upon your crew selections.

Whichever companion you elect not to keep, they will later become central to additional adventures.

Might be that a former companion calls you seeking help, or maybe they come seeking revenge.

Either way, it would be a short mission chain that would expand the story element of the game.

3- Don't stop. Once they cycle through everything, they could keep adding more and more, especially in the 'other' category and romanceable aliens. Not a great need for human after human after human, but with a galaxy full of different species, there will be no shortage of diversity to offer up.

Just because you passed on the dark Ugnaut and the light Quermian it doesn't mean that you wouldn't jump at the chance for a Shistavanen of any gender or personality.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They could also expand the customization options for companions. There should be a Zabrak, Mirialan, Chiss, Rattataki, Miralukan, etc. options for romanceable companions. Actually, there should be multiple versions of those options for those companions, but first things first.

As they (hopefully) add more options for player species, they can add those same options for companions.

They can restrict some choices (Chiss do not have to be available to Republic at all, for example), and not everything has to be available to every companion, but the more common choices (Zabrak springs immediately to mind) should be universal.

And finally, I would add a droid vendor that sold a variety of ship droids.

The droid would remain a droid, and the role of weaponless, affectionless, skill-less healer would be maintained, but you could at least choose to have a 'male' or 'female' protocol droid, an astromech type droid, or whatever.

Multiple looks, at least, if not multiple voices.

I can understand the problems that allowing players to choose the gender of companions, but what difference would it make if i decided to make Kira Carsen a healer instead of a dps character?

Another thing i want to see is that we are allowed to pick the skills for our companions from a skill pool. This option wouldn't be that hard to implement, because it doesn't alter how the game works. This will male sense if you realize that Kira, and the other force users are your padawans or apprentices and its your duty to train them, but you don't do nothing right now... they learn the skills the want to learn (devs).

Edited by Zalgred

while your post is hard to understand...

jaesa, ashara, nadia, kira ... all women force user companions.

lord scourge is the only male force user companion.

is what i think you were trying to get at.

XALEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xalek is another force user companion who is male.

(and even Khem Val should be considered as one)

All female? where? i have 6 and only one is a female (Ashara) the others are Khem, Andro, the droid, Talos and Xlek. I wish I had a choice especially on who was to be my apprentice.

Assasin btw I guess if you want a mostly male crew roll my class.

Edited by MandraMoody

• 2 years later...

I think it may be(at least remotely) sexism. If you think about males and females in combat roles, and consider that the companions in the game are pretty much always in phenomenal shape, males are usually stronger. The Force acts almost like a great equalizer, since it is based on the number of midichlorians rather than physical strength. Since midichlorians do not discriminate based upon gender, a female could easily be stronger in the Force than a male counterpart.

For example, say I placed Mako and Andronikos up against each other. No weapons, nothing in the immediate area to improvise, just raw strength. Who wins?

Now let's say I put Jaesa up against Xalek. It's a bit more difficult to call, isn't it? (If you want to argue about that fight do it with other people somewhere else)

I would love to have male padawan/apperentice as well, and also would love option to throw Kira Carsen permanently out of my life :D

Person above made valid point about females being usually physically weaker, and propably Mako would indeed lose against Andronikos. Then again, if you put Akaavi against Andronikos I'm not sure about result at all. Or Akaavi against Torian, Iresso, anyone. Or Tharan, Iresso or Doc against Elara or Risha. All would be tough fights, and strong women exist!