Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Huttball luck or skill?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Is Huttball luck or skill?

CactusBrawler
02.28.2012 , 09:21 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by lilbuddhaman View Post

Personally I think there should be a cooldown to Grabs/Pushes/Jumps so the above can't happen so easily.
How about being grabbed either by a friendly skill or by an enemy one makes you drop the ball? Kinda like a heavy tackle no?

Would make huttball more a match of skill and planning, than who has the most sages/sorcs.

lilbuddhaman
02.28.2012 , 09:28 PM | #22
Well the ball is supposedly "more slippery than a greased hutt", Maybe have a random debuff that the ball carrier gets called "loosing grip" or something, where if the player is knocked down/away when they have it, the ball will fly in the air to a random spot within 5-20m ?

Sure would spice things up.

CactusBrawler
02.28.2012 , 09:31 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by lilbuddhaman View Post
Well the ball is supposedly "more slippery than a greased hutt", Maybe have a random debuff that the ball carrier gets called "loosing grip" or something, where if the player is knocked down/away when they have it, the ball will fly in the air to a random spot within 5-20m ?

Sure would spice things up.
It would destroy the zerg train mode of play at least, I mean who needs skill when you can just rush towards the goal line AoE knockbacking everyone away?

Now if the ball could be tackled/knocked out of the carriers hands, well the zerg train becomes a bad idea, you have to start intercepting the other team so they can't get to your carrier.

It'd actually be like a real sport then.

smartbarley
02.28.2012 , 11:29 PM | #24
It's actually neither. It's could be interpreted as luck with getting good huttball players and having some skill, but it's mostly about strategies. As long as you have some strategies for the game and talk constantly in /ops, you can do well in huttball.

Just go in with 3 of your friends and luck and skill will be out of the equation.

Astarica
02.28.2012 , 11:38 PM | #25
It's luck in the sense that some combination of classes are extremely dominant and if you happen to run up against the strong classes you might just lose badly without a shot, even if both sides are equally skilled.

Also, in extermely close games, getting lucky with the air vent is about the only reliable way to break through a good defense.

But if you assume the teams actually are balanced, there's very little to chance in Huttball.

RobNightfall
02.28.2012 , 11:40 PM | #26
Skill, specifically skill in working together as a team. Huttball seems to work best with, at the very least, a couple of people who know know to hold the middle and a couple more who will coordinate for offense.
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.

ShadowOfVey
02.28.2012 , 11:42 PM | #27
The luck is really just whether you get solid players or not...and to a lesser extent the class composition of your team.

If a team beats you 6-0 in huttball in 5 minutes, if you replay them the result is probably gonna be about the same.

Draeb
02.29.2012 , 01:04 AM | #28
Ok I might get flamed for this but, I think Huttball is the most brilliant game there is. Yes I used to hate it. I mean absolutely hated it. However at the lvl 50 bracket? It's amazing. I don't have to sit there and take my time to type out how to play the match.

It's definitely skill based and the people that are good at it are truly good at the game. IMO, it's got more tactics involved than Civil War and Voidstar.

There's just so much going on on so many levels. The game is fast paced. Those who are aware will be one step ahead of the other. If you made a wrong step, you probably cost your team a score. One clutch pull on the ball carrier trying to score and you may have just saved the game.

When I'm going back and forth from one end zone to another I'll take a quick glance at what's happening in the pit below me. Two guys fighting it out no one else around. lol People get fierce with each other. They will over commit to these battles and sometimes for good reason. It's probably personal and I don't mind it because sometimes I'll take things personal when people are going way way out of their way to kill me.

Huttball is genius. I don't care what anyone says. So yeah, it's definitely skill based.

HelinCarnate
02.29.2012 , 01:14 AM | #29
If it is luck that is the cause of others success, not hard work or skill, then people can feel better about themselves because in their minds, they have no control over the outcome.

The only part that is luck, as others have said, is who is on your team. I have been on some really bad huttball teams where it seems like I am the only one anywhere near the ball and the rest of the team is off in their own little battles trying to pad their kill count because that is far more important to them than winning. On the flip side, I have been on other teams that burn out 6 scores in just a few min.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.
http://www.swtor.com/r/mB5FPn obligatory referral link.

Gankstah
02.29.2012 , 01:18 AM | #30
Remove Inq/Con speed run and you have a completely different game.

As it stands 2 out of 3 WZ's are won solely based on the amount of Inq/Con you have. Those being Voidstar and Huttball. He who has the most speed boost wins the match. End of story.