Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Tanking for Dummies (5.7)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP Tanking for Dummies (5.7)

ShallowHal
02.10.2018 , 04:19 PM | #41
Dummy tank here .

In regards to gearing, do we stack endurance armorings and mods and power/crit enhancements, ignoring absorb rating, shield rating, and defense? What are the stat goals?

Also a general question about PVP level 10-69? Do the stats on gear matter at all or is it just important to have each slot filled?
Referral code for returning subscribers or brand new accts
http://www.swtor.com/r/6xq5Vn

kissingaiur
02.10.2018 , 04:40 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by ShallowHal View Post
Dummy tank here .

In regards to gearing, do we stack endurance armorings and mods and power/crit enhancements, ignoring absorb rating, shield rating, and defense? What are the stat goals?

Also a general question about PVP level 10-69? Do the stats on gear matter at all or is it just important to have each slot filled?
I talked to some ranked tanks and I have been told that there isn't really one optimal way to build (hence why we chose to leave it out of the guide). All I can say for a fact is that the meta does lean more for tanks to be wearing more DPS oriented gear to optimize the amount of pressure they can produce while also trying to support their allies. So keeping in line with the current meta, I would suggest building with critical rating/alacrity/master. Defensive stats in pvp are not used often currently but I know for a fact good tanks still have a mitigation/high endurance set just in case situations arise such as they are being tanked tunneled.

I hope that helps.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur

ShallowHal
02.10.2018 , 05:31 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by kissingaiur View Post
I talked to some ranked tanks and I have been told that there isn't really one optimal way to build (hence why we chose to leave it out of the guide). All I can say for a fact is that the meta does lean more for tanks to be wearing more DPS oriented gear to optimize the amount of pressure they can produce while also trying to support their allies. So keeping in line with the current meta, I would suggest building with critical rating/alacrity/master. Defensive stats in pvp are not used often currently but I know for a fact good tanks still have a mitigation/high endurance set just in case situations arise such as they are being tanked tunneled.

I hope that helps.
I'm surprised about alacrity. I was just playing my Jedi Guardian tank (I generally stink at the melee classes, but as a tank, I was doing OK on this one in my standard PVE gear with all the defensive stats on the gear). Other than Blade Barrage, there isn't any channeled ability I can think of that would benefit from alacrity.

Also, if you could answer the second part of my question about whether stats on your gear in level 10-69 PVP matter at all, that would be helpful. Deciding if I want to regear my tanks.
Referral code for returning subscribers or brand new accts
http://www.swtor.com/r/6xq5Vn

AdjeYo
02.10.2018 , 05:40 PM | #44
Dummy tank here .

My personal advice is to try and maximize endurance (so augment for endurance and get b mods) and for enhancements get critical ones, you might want some alacrity but I really don't find it needed. That said some people seems to do really well just building purely on dps, so getting a good amount of crit and alacrity and not stacking endurance, it's really up to you in the end. The only thing you should definitely do is make sure to have a shield equipped, getting a focus just isn't worth it.

KendraP
02.10.2018 , 07:25 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by AdjeYo View Post
My personal advice is to try and maximize endurance (so augment for endurance and get b mods) and for enhancements get critical ones, you might want some alacrity but I really don't find it needed. That said some people seems to do really well just building purely on dps, so getting a good amount of crit and alacrity and not stacking endurance, it's really up to you in the end. The only thing you should definitely do is make sure to have a shield equipped, getting a focus just isn't worth it.
Seconded. I go high endurance with crit and alac and a shield. The extra endurance is something I find very useful.

LordTurin
02.10.2018 , 07:37 PM | #46
I'm surprised about alacrity. I was just playing my Jedi Guardian tank (I generally stink at the melee classes, but as a tank, I was doing OK on this one in my standard PVE gear with all the defensive stats on the gear). Other than Blade Barrage, there isn't any channeled ability I can think of that would benefit from alacrity.

Also, if you could answer the second part of my question about whether stats on your gear in level 10-69 PVP matter at all, that would be helpful. Deciding if I want to regear my tanks.
Channels aren't the only thing that benefit from alacrity. Your global cooldown (so how many actions per minute you can do) also decreases with more alacrity.

If you are clicking, it probably doesn't make a huge difference since you won't be able to do as many regardless, but if you keybind alacrity is definitely a plus for anything even a tank (at least in pvp, not worth giving up mitigation in ops normally lol).

Don't worry about gearing as you level. Just put whatever in, other than accuracy, and you'll be fine (it is just not worth it to spend the time and money to min-max for lowbies, especially since everything you put on will be bolstered). If you have to have an answer, pick whatever is highest endurance. After that, I would use crit/alacrity if you are only playing solo, but if you do fps and whatnot, I would pick up shield/absorb (so people don't yell at you for gearing wrong lol).
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

kronichabit
03.10.2018 , 10:54 PM | #47
https://imgur.com/UYQcwgf

hi hottie i would add also to have at least 9% alacrity cuz gcd on the guard switch is horrible with out least 9% alacrity
Madeyoulook kronic aka pournflakes
Pub side Shura Imp side Gob<censored>
7 days for free
http://www.swtor.com/r/PwJqTF