Problems at EA/BIOWare

Dannypb

This has been building up. I really like the game, and I understand EA/Bioware has a good reputation. Which is one reason I really didn't expect the way they have handled testing and release. Whether it's testing access, or pre-order or early access or grace period, Bioware seems to do things in a way that causes the most grief for their customers. I give the following as a few examples:

1> The testing program was full of miscommunication and issues. Specifically you really didn't know when and where till it was happening. You could not look online and get specifics from their website until things were happening. It was not clear what testing they were talking about during most of the testing in their communication. It probably seemed clear to them, but not always to me. It wasn't completely bad, but the the way testing was handled raised a flag for me.

2> The pre ordering wasn't so bad, although you bought early access separately (at least I did digitally from origin) but it wasn't clear what you were getting. As far as I'm concerned, if I pay for early access, I get the full value of what I'm paying for. This left me feeling the Bioware just wants my money.

3> Changing the early access day within a month of launch was bad. I know it was earlier, but we are not all unemployed lazy people just sitting around at our PCs waiting to play. I know a lot of people who planned their vacation time accordingly and then plans changed. A lot of media outlets also had to change plans at the last minute. Then what was supposed to be a days notice that your in Early Access, became a, "we will tell you after we give you access" model. You probably have half a million people sitting at home constantly checking emails wondering if they are in yet. Did you ever stop to consider the impact of your customers? This made me think that Bioware doesn't really care about me or any inconvenience to me.

4> What is this grace period fiasco? Really, you said there would be a grace period. MMOs almost always have a grace period, due to the nature of things. You promise one and the you say no..... and now one of your presidents says maybe. Is Mickey Mouse running your company? Or are you just listening to some greedy accountants who can't bear the thought of someone playing for free for a week? I feel like I have both been lied to and that Bioware doesn't care how I feel about anything.

Look, I've just a programmer, although a good one. But I have also run a business for myself, been a retail manager, been a banking manager and vice president in a major world wide bank. I've been part of a lot of successful endeavors and companies. You do not stay successful by watching the bottom line at the expense of your customer, unless your a bottom feeder. The secret to good business is good customer relations, and making it easy for your customers to do business with you is key to standing out in a competitive environment. The constant uncertainty you are creating with us customers is really ruining trust right from the start. Please please please get your head together, be consistent and put your customers first. I really want to put you first, but I have to know it's not a one way street. basically what I am asking is, don't be like Sony. They fail continually because they put the dollar first and their customer last. You guys seem to talk a good game, but talk is cheap.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feel like Bioware is putting money ahead of the customer as far as the pre-orders and early access go. If anything they are taking a risk of losing money by doing it this way. I think they're banking on people being more happy with how it went than those who are upset. I agree the communication could have been done better but until I sit next to Stephen Reid in a management meeting I don't really know why they've done what they've done. Speculation just makes a spec out of U and some guy named LATION. (Lol Dr. House)

When I purchased from Origin, I paid a $5.00 early access fee. Maybe you didn't, but I did.

No, you did not.

You paid a $5 deposit to reserve a copy of the game for pre-order. Just like you do at any game store.

That $5 is deducted from the cost of the game that will be charged to you when the game goes live.

I don't feel like Bioware is putting money ahead of the customer as far as the pre-orders and early access go. If anything they are taking a risk of losing money by doing it this way. I think they're banking on people being more happy with how it went than those who are upset. I agree the communication could have been done better but until I sit next to Stephen Reid in a management meeting I don't really know why they've done what they've done. Speculation just makes a spec out of U and some guy named LATION. (Lol Dr. House)

Well, I hope your right, and I am not concerned with how they really are, I am concerned with the perception.

Wow that was a long speach, but I see NO problems with either Bio or EA as they have delivered on what they said, and I know come the 20th it may get really rocky with queues.

When I pre-ordered I was promised UP TO 5 days, color stone and beta. They boosted to 7 days and people still complaining?

Only thing slightly miffed is no grace period to enter your retail key. Not a big deal, just a frikk'n game.

So, very good job Bioware / LucasArts so far in launching probably the biggest launch in MMO history.

No, you did not.

You paid a $5 deposit to reserve a copy of the game for pre-order. Just like you do at any game store.

That $5 is deducted from the cost of the game that will be charged to you when the game goes live.

Um, yes I did, here is something I just cut and pasted from the store.origin.com website:

Pre-Order Fee Includes:

Early Game Access

Color Stone (Virtual Item)

Your card will be pre-authorized for the full amount of the game. After 24 hours this pre-authorization will be released and you will ONLY be charged $5 for the Pre-Order. The balance will be charged when the game is released. If you have questions, please see our Pre-Order FAQ.

Well, I hope your right, and I am not concerned with how they really are, I am concerned with the perception.

I agree that perceptions could be a problem with how things have been done. I'm am just in the camp that believes that people's perceptions may change once they get in. :D

Um, yes I did, here is something I just cut and pasted from the store.origin.com website:

Pre-Order Fee Includes:

Early Game Access

Your card will be pre-authorized for the full amount of the game. After 24 hours this pre-authorization will be released and you will ONLY be charged $5 for the Pre-Order. The balance will be charged when the game is released. If you have questions, please see our Pre-Order FAQ.

Yes, the important part there is BALANCE

The Balance will be charged, this is the cost of the game minus the $5 you have already paid.

Pre-Order Fee Includes:

Early Game Access

...and when they charge you for the game in a couple days, they will charge you $55 instead of $60.

Go find your email from Origin, should have a subject line of

"Origin - Order Confirmation for order number #"

Scroll down to where they list the Order Summary, and look at the cost of the 2 items lsited. One will be your $5 Pre-Order Fee SKU 71185, the other will be the game itself, in my case Digitial deluxe SKU 71199 cost $74.99

Once again, for those that read slow:

Pre-Order Fee Includes:

Early Game Access

Once again, for those that read slow:

Pre-Order Fee Includes:

Early Game Access

Is the early access over. You will get in before the 20th.

Um, no, your right about charging the balance, your wrong about the early access fee.

Go check your email. There is no such thing as an EARLY ACCESS FEE. You will not see this in ANY correspondence you recieved from Origin.

There is a Pre-Order Fee which is $5, and the cost of the game will be listed as $5 less than the total cost.

You are not the only one to make this mistake, people see what they want to see when they are upset. Just go find your email receipt and it will be clearer.

Um, no, your right about charging the balance, your wrong about the early access fee.

There was NO fee from Origin for Early Access - you get/got Early Access for pre-ordering, where they happened to take $5 as your deposit against the full price of the game.

Has no one pre-ordered online before? Hell, as no one pre-ordered from a game store before? There is always a deposit or pay-in-full, depending upon the business' policies.

The $5 was a DEPOSIT, not a FEE