Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

When was it recoded?

Remember we just had a data centre move and upgrade, so maybe the hardware is being prepared.

It's their latest one sadly. Taped the day of the forum post about gsf being added to PVP matches to make a new type of PVP. Where it was discussed about iokath open world PvP. I might not be describing it right but I'm sure you saw it.

He did say the new hardware will make server mergers better some how. And overall game play.

I'm tired and catching a buzz so I recommend listening to the Bad Feelings podcast before believing litteraly everything I said. But that's basically it

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This HeroEngine link below shows a bit dated specs but i do oracle cent OS cluster, apache, and microsoft cluster server & version 32 bit to 64 bit data upgrades, including metadata.

SWTOR does use the best core engine over oracle with scripts and other jobs in Microsoft Windows. So SWTOR metadata is robust and extensible. (Its not like its COBAL or foxpro)

So all these platforms can talk and bump up if it was funded. There are a plethra of great migration wizards and tools as well.

Within our community I am convinced we have so many geeks that perform data migrations and application upgrades in place and coding, scripts, apachie Oracle ect who may become a resource or think tank on how get this done if Keith asked us. .

We need a gofundme page to help Keith's fight.

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Introduction_to_Hardware_Setup

Ref circa 2012 on 32 to 64 bit upgrades, more users per server, no lag, no need for server to server joins, just make a monster cluster. Use application db partioning to seamlessly segment and park old inactive users off the main server to keep the active game server in prime condition etc. They could auto rename old dead users and release good names too.

https://docs.oracle.com/database/122/UPGRD/about-32-bit-to-64-bit-oracle-database-conversions.htm#UPGRD12354

migrate DX10 to DX12 to enable all cores and use of more client memory, take out the lag, more 3D rendering faster.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/tutorial-migrating-your-apps-to-directx-12-part-1

Edited by IntegrationArch

Frankly, I'd be all for a total reboot. Play with people's expectations.

Be careful of what you ask because it might already be on the way.

I'm afraid the next Battlefront could be SWTOR killer.

You'll have massive fast paced multiplayer SW action. Add a couple of MMO elements and well start to be worried. Top that with micro-transactions and sand box elements and you don't even need a shovel to dig SWTOR grave. Both EA execs and the majority of the players will be more than happy to perform an euthanasia on the aging elephant and incinerate it.

Almost forgot, contrary to SWTOR, they do have the big budget both for development and marketing.

Edited by Deewe

The first was a flop. This one would need to be significantly better.

It's a shame they don't just make a swtor 2 and start from scratch.

My point was, Disney is quite okay with EA not doing anything with this game because they are actively promoting and developing other Star Wars projects. BFII is one of them.

This HeroEngine link below shows a bit dated specs but i do oracle cent OS cluster, apache, and microsoft cluster server & version 32 bit to 64 bit data upgrades, including metadata.

SWTOR does use the best core engine over oracle with scripts and other jobs in Microsoft Windows. So SWTOR metadata is robust and extensible. (Its not like its COBAL or foxpro)

So all these platforms can talk and bump up if it was funded. There are a plethra of great migration wizards and tools as well.

We need a gofundme page to help Keith's fight.

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Introduction_to_Hardware_Setup

Ref circa 2012 on 32 to 64 bit upgrades

https://docs.oracle.com/database/122/UPGRD/about-32-bit-to-64-bit-oracle-database-conversions.htm#UPGRD12354

The problem is this Hero Engine is a child of bridzilla and Frankenstein because they used an alpha/beta version and heavily edited and customised it. I remember reading somewhere that they can't even get any help from the Hero Engine guys because of it. On top of that, all the original coders have left the game and I hear they are still trying to work out what they did in certain areas.

I doubt porting to a 64 bit system is as easy as you would think it should be. But this cluster F of modified code would likely break if they tried.

It's not impossible. Do not try... Do. All migrations break stuff, everything is often custom, you just script and reindex and truncate you way out of it. Visual Application Debuggers are much better than they used to be too. Oracle support can be used or they colud farm out super complex frankencode off shore or even overseas for much less than domestic. Edited by IntegrationArch

Be careful of what you ask because it might already be on the way.

I'm afraid the next Battlefront could be SWTOR killer.

You'll have massive fast paced multiplayer SW action. Add a couple of MMO elements and well start to be worried. Top that with micro-transactions and sand box elements and you don't even need a shovel to dig SWTOR grave. Both EA execs and the majority of the players will be more than happy to perform an euthanasia on the aging elephant and incinerate it.

Almost forgot, contrary to SWTOR, they do have the big budget both for development and marketing.

idk brah, most battlefront games I played (at the least 1 and 2, mainly 2. I haven't played Battlefront 3) the combat was literally a mess when it came to the Jedi characters, and they were so thoroughly OP that I refused outright to play as one of them. They were so difficult to play, and watching the Darth Maul clip for Battlefront 4 (I refuse to call it Battlefront 2) the combat doesn't look like it has changed much.

It might be different if EA brings out a PC game, but Battlefront is a PS game, totally different platforms. I understand what you're trying to say, but they're both completely different.

Current EA Starwars Battlefront reboot is PS4/XBOXONE/PC. An xboxone user can not match with a PC user however. Battlefront is not a mess it's very graphic but strickly combat PvP. No guilds, no RP, no Lore, no crafting. No content really. Arena Graphics are crazy good.

B2 will be better based on Celebration and interviews, B2 will have 3 separate time periods for Arenas but it wont be SWTOR.

In fact, SWTOR is like a Rock Band you never stop liking for your entire life and always turn up on the radio when you hear your favorites, so there will always be a place for it, always be players but it just needs performance update and refreshing on the edges.

Interview with Keith on Bad Feeling Podcast. And while Eric says "we aren't talking about merges" Keith spent several minutes talking about merges.

X-Server: not gonna happen (officially) but it's not the engine's fault

Nothing is set in stone yet but the current thinking is to open new server(s) and encourage people to transfer. The new transfer system would handle guilds, guild assets, friend lists, etc.. He spun through several details and commented on logistics issues over merging things like legacy banks. I encourage people to check out the podcast and the reddit thread.

Edited by Savej

Interview with Keith on Bad Feeling Podcast. And while Eric says "we aren't talking about merges" Keith spent several minutes talking about merges.

Nothing is set in stone yet but the current thinking is to open new server(s) and encourage people to transfer. The new transfer system would handle guilds, guild assets, friend lists, etc.. He spun through several details and commented on logistics issues over merging things like legacy banks. I encourage people to check out the podcast and the reddit thread.

http://badfeelingpodcast.com/audio/podcasts/episode_162_final.mp3

there is the pod cast :) going to listen to it now

In the podcast they did say something really amazing was coming. But the last time they said that it was about open world PvP in Iokath. So it could be total ****. I'm sure it's years put either way at this point.

Like seriously though. Can we start a go fund me page to help these guys. Cause I'll put my money where my mouth is an fork over the 60 for a new expansion. Even if we have to hire a new team ourselves.

And just throwing this out here. I of course alone don't have the means. But how much does EA want for swtor? What's the I don't want to sell it number?

In the podcast they did say something really amazing was coming. But the last time they said that it was about open world PvP in Iokath. So it could be total ****. I'm sure it's years put either way at this point.

Like seriously though. Can we start a go fund me page to help these guys. Cause I'll put my money where my mouth is an fork over the 60 for a new expansion. Even if we have to hire a new team ourselves.

And just throwing this out here. I of course alone don't have the means. But how much does EA want for swtor? What's the I don't want to sell it number?

I was a cartel market contributor (whale) for awhile but not anymore. All I can say now is that my sub is ending in a few days until BW shows us they care about server pops.

Edited by Savej

I was a cartel market contributor (whale) for awhile but not anymore. All I can say now is that my sub is ending in a few days until BW shows us they care about server pops.

Not trying to single you out, but at the same time I'm not really sure what would convince you they care about server pops. Ultimately, the only thing that's going to help server populations is for the game to attract more players, and that happens only by adding/making changes that cause more people to want to subscribe. Server merges and cross server queues are a temporary fix to address queue times and ultimately do nothing for retention. Those who want to remain will remain, and those who find nothing to hold them to the game will still leave. Declining populations are a symptom of a larger problem, not the cause of the problem, and until there is something concrete to bring in more players (new or old) and retain them, there will continue to be population issues, even if they were to implement the suggestions made in this thread.

Edit: So from my point of view, anything they are doing behind the scenes to improve the game and retain players is showing they care about server pops, though we may not see the results right away, since these things all take time to design, test, and implement.

Edited by PiiTarr
addition for clarity

Just make a page, I'm sure other people will join it. Maybe even contact BW directly?

Server population is a HUGE issue and it is really strange to me that BW hasn't taken a more proactive approach in addressing it. Most MMOs are on top of population issues with some sort of solution - even a temporary one - very quickly because it hurts the overall game.

Yup ~EVERYONE~ please listen to pod cast you can skip 15 min to get to Keith's talk. He also said HeroEngine is not the issue, BW already purchased all new high end physical servers and will gradually roll out 5.3, 5.4 etc patches for W10 OS updates and better graphics SHADOWING. .

But SWTOR client side details were sketchy about if the new patches on the brand new megaserver will support true 64bit OS upgrade as native. Most all BW games require 64bit OS. That would provide Quality fo Life dramatic improvements to leverage all your client CPU and GPU cores and all of your system memory, less hangs, incredible frame rates.

So are we going to see 64bit/dx12 Yes/No in 5.4 or 5.5 patch, perhaps only on the new megaserver?

<-- that is the performance & stabitly question (aka Quality of Life) which could really help with the game crashes or won't start with CU and all the error c7 system crash alerts and complex message popups incompatable system. .

That is very possible.

After all, if a player with a toxic attitude would be far less likely to recognize that toxic attitude in anyone else.

I cannot help but wonder what that says about those who claim that Harbinger is "not that bad" when so many have stated that Harbinger is a cesspool, including some of those advocating server merges.

You can find "trolls" on any server. Harbinger has a higher population than the other servers so it would stand to reason that Harbinger would also have a higher number of "trolls". Harbinger also happens to have the highest percentage of "trolls" among its population.

In addition, there is one particular guild (more accurately, a group of guilds) that seems to have a requirement that its members must be "trolls". I have never seen a player with one of those guild tags that was not a complete and total d-bag.

They were talking about Harbinger's stability. Don't be so eager. Sheesh.

I cannot help but wonder what that says about those who claim that Harbinger is "not that bad" when so many have stated that Harbinger is a cesspool, including some of those advocating server merges.
I never said it was a "cesspool" and my comment about it not being "that bad", was in regards to server stability. Obviously you misunderstood.

Server population is a HUGE issue and it is really strange to me that BW hasn't taken a more proactive approach in addressing it. Most MMOs are on top of population issues with some sort of solution - even a temporary one - very quickly because it hurts the overall game.

When you see how other MMO's handle it it truly is baffling how they don't even take baby steps like consolidating 17 servers down to 10. Followed by the next step of merging competing regional servers like JC and Shadowlands both being east coast PVE servers.

But yes doing nothing is definitely doing harm to the game by:

1. New players picking a dead server.

2. Returning players seeing their server is dead and deciding not to re-sub.

3, End game group content players as well as leveling not able to do flashpoints, pvp, ops, uprisings.

My server (Vanjervalis Chain) feels so empty, that I've 'really' cancelled the game after spending time there, ever since the open-beta. It's crazy how the population's gone back or better said down. We definitely need a merge, at least the german servers all in one. :jawa_frown: But I'd even prefer a european fusion.

My (rep-)guild already left the VC for T3-M4, long ago and I wasnt willing to transfer my character, because I'd still like to RP with all the property I've gained so far. :rolleyes:

Until they merge the servers, the game wont see me again. Back then, I'd never thought that I would consider to cancel my subscription. :(

Edited by Dehrro

I never said it was a "cesspool"

Where did I say that you said Harbinger was a cesspool? I said that even some of those advocating server merges have stated that Harbinger is a toxic cesspool.

I do not recall you saying that Harbinger was a cesspool. In fact, if I remember correctly, most of your posting history with regards to the cesspool that is Harbinger is to downplay or dismiss the toxicity as "not that bad".

That brings us back to the other point in that post.

What does it say about Johnny's behavior and the way Johnny acts if he defends the toxic behavior of Billy, Timmy, Harry and David as "not that bad"?

my comment about it not being "that bad", was in regards to server stability. Obviously you misunderstood.

I may have misunderstood your post with regards to server stability on Harbinger being better now, than it has been for quite a while. It is true that Harbinger has been more stable lately.

That said, why did you choose to respond to my post that Harbinger is "that bad" in this manner:

Interesting you should say that...I think it has more to do with how you act than anything else.

What bearing does how any player acts have on server stability, unless that player is deliberately trying to organize a group of players with the intent to crash that server?

If they merge the servers, I am much less likely to continue playing'/subscribing unless they do something about the players who grief or otherwise disrupt others. I tried to do three small quests on a populated planet tonight. I was griefed every single time, in one case having a goal item literally stolen from under my feet. It makes the game stressful and unpleasant and that is not why I play.

The idea of being on a much more crowded server with even MORE people who do that? Fighting to get to goals even more? Clearing areas just so someone else can run past you and steal the goal? Yeah. Not appealing.

I know there are those who are going to, again, loudly trumpet that it's a MMO so that should be expected, but more than one style of player is here. Some of us are trying to get away from real life jerks; we don't need them online.

One solution might be making all the heroic areas 'story' so nobody else can join unless you invite them, at least on the RP server.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Please ensure that no one will be negatively impacted by server merges by ensuring that any and all issues surrounding server merges have been resolved prior to considering server merges.

As it stands now, every player has the option to play on a server with a population that matches their population/community desires. There is no reason to negatively impact multitudes of players because some players refuse to avail themselves of any of the options they already have to play on a server with a population more to their liking.

I absolutely agree. In fact, I do not want to go through a server merge from what I have heard. Whoever is moved would be like starting all over. Who wants to go through that... lose your characters' names, your stronghold decorating reset as though never done, your outfit designer emptied of your carefully and expensively designed outfits, and everything else that could go wrong. What about credits, command tokens, etc. If all my stronghold decorating and outfits and names were gone, I'd probably get disgusted and just quit. Personally I do not want to be on a crowded server anyway, especially with the lag my internet has. All the populations increase for special events so add more special events if that is what you want., and more story content. Waiting for more story and the new stronghold. Not server mergers. Yuk!

Hey all,

Someone indicated we haven't posted in this thread since we kicked it off. As we stated in the opening post, we are not ready to discuss anything, yet, The purpose of the thread was to consolidate all the various posts about the topic so it's all contained in one place. All of your comments will absolutely have an impact on how and what we decide with respect to server populations.

Keith---

Maybe you can answer this question: How much of a population do you consider healthy for a server?

Just asking cause on my server, Vanjervalis Chain, there's like 800 people online during primetime. How do I know? Type /who [class] in the chat for every class on both factions. Every class has below 100 people(which is the max shown) so it's easy to check.