Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alternatives to the BW proposed Laze Target discussion c/o Angelsfluttershy

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Alternatives to the BW proposed Laze Target discussion c/o Angelsfluttershy

Darth_Dreselus
08.28.2013 , 06:05 AM | #11
There is only one 's' in Angelfluttershy.

Second suggestion is cringe worthy. Not because it is a bad idea but because it would require a lot of code tweaks to ignore things such as guard. And the more code tweaks the more chance to introduce bugs. First idea is very well thought out.
No One Important Died Tavernus - Sorc / Taverna - Mara / Pintus - Op / Gintonica - PT
The Red Eclipse. Sweet Dreams to all my Harbinger children.

Heal-To-Full
08.28.2013 , 10:34 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Dreselus View Post
Second suggestion is cringe worthy. Not because it is a bad idea but because it would require a lot of code tweaks to ignore things such as guard. And the more code tweaks the more chance to introduce bugs.
I'm not sure how exactly these things are coded, so I can't tell if it would be hard or not.
But there is a large number of attacks that ignore protective abilities, primarily seen in PvE, and PvE is also home to a lot of far more esoteric mechanics. If a boss fight effect can be done this way, I suspect a player attack can be too.

Either way, whether it is difficult to code or not, I believe it would be up to the developers to shoot it down - "Sorry, hard to code" - if it is hard to code. As players we should care about what we would like done.

Quote: Originally Posted by greg_biochem View Post
A SoS Channel with all crits does 11 - 12k damage (13 - 14k with MM surge talent)
A Cull Channel with all crits does 13 - 14k damage
For MM, that surge talent is mandatory, you can't skip it, so let's count SoS as 13-14k if used on-spec.

This just goes to the point that applying it to Cull is not OP. For one, Cull is a considerably more expensive, less reliable and overall less versatile talent.
* Cull has to be set up and timed - so both poison effects are applied, and not cleansed - to do full damage.
* Cull with setup consumes a lot of energy - 10 for CG, 16 for CD, 25 for the Cull itself - a total of 41.
* Cull is rear-loaded - you do the most damage between 3 and 6 seconds.
* Cull against adds or low-HP represents a DPS loss - poison effects spent on now-dead targets.

There are times you won't be able to use or fully benefit from Cull, because your DoTs have been cleansed, or because you ran out of energy, or because the target was killed while you were setting up. And you will hurt your DPS and energy management by spreading Cull on mobs or using it when you're in the lower bracket.
In contrast, you're never going to be so low on energy that you can't afford Series of Shots, it starts at its full damage right away, it's cheap to switch targets, and its cooldown can be instantly reset by Sniper Volley.

This goes to show that anything that affects SoS should affect Cull. Anything less would be nerfing the Leth spec even further (as shown by the parse, it's the lowest sustained DPS, and other practice confirms it), only helping MM. I just wanted to preempt any suggestions of removing Cull from the list.

This said, for flexibility's sake, I'd prefer it to affect other talents - including EP, Snipe, Ambush. One reason is that, indeed, Laze is a low level ability, so it should affect low level attacks, it can't just sit there till much later.
Another reason is flexibility; using LT on Ambush would be a waste of DPS, but let players choose if they want to waste that DPS in favor of what it is they deem more important.
What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence of the Sith race and the Sith people, the glory of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the Empire, so that we may fulfill the mission allotted us by the Force itself. Everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility.

greg_biochem
08.28.2013 , 11:25 AM | #13
1. I am not aware of any current player ability that ignores a guard and/or all moderate defensive cooldowns (some ignore a few because of attack type). If none currently exist, giving Snipers one would be a huge buff that I'm sure other classes would be upset about... I just don't think it is realistic.

2. If the new Lazed Target increases the crit of nearly everything (Snipe, Ambush, Takedown, EP, SoS, and Cull) players would only use it for SoS or Cull (maybe Ambush?) because the other abilities do significantly less damage. The only time you would ever activate it for a different attack would be while leveling...

3. As for CJNJ's point: I wouldn't mind having the ability learned at a higher level, or even including Ambush to make it somewhat useful for leveling (opening on an elite with an ambush crit should be helpful, right?)... but I don't think it adds to the overall effectiveness of the ability.
Server: The Ebon Hawk
Red'october - Gunslinger

Heal-To-Full
08.28.2013 , 11:41 AM | #14
1. I am not aware of any current player ability that ignores a guard and/or all moderate defensive cooldowns (some ignore a few because of attack type). If none currently exist, giving Snipers one would be a huge buff that I'm sure other classes would be upset about...
Yes, it would be a buff for PvP (and PvP only). That's the idea; snipers and gunslingers have been being phased out of competitive PvP since 2.0 if not 1.7, Arenas are just finishing them off.

Juggs and Maras have their overpowered Smash. Powertechs have their Shoulder Cannon that can be used out of stun (nothing else can). Operatives have their super-roll and stealth. If implemented, it will give Snipers their special something that you might consider a Sniper DPS composition for. It's just one shot, you're not going to kill people left and right with it, just occasionally catch an overconfident opponent who let his health get into execute range.

The three classes left behind - Sorcerers, Assassins, Mercenaries - should work on suggestions for their own strong points that will make them worthwhile. All denying Snipers any special PvP talents accomplishes is keep the list of PvP classes down to just 4 instead of 5, and who really wants that?

2. If the new Lazed Target increases the crit of nearly everything (Snipe, Ambush, Takedown, EP, SoS, and Cull) players would only use it for SoS or Cull (maybe Ambush?) because the other abilities do significantly less damage. The only time you would ever activate it for a different attack would be while leveling...
Pretty much. I don't see anything wrong with it. It's just how every other early-game offensive buff works, at first you don't have quite as much use for it.
What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence of the Sith race and the Sith people, the glory of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the Empire, so that we may fulfill the mission allotted us by the Force itself. Everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility.

greg_biochem
08.28.2013 , 12:24 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by B-Dick View Post
Yes, it would be a significant buff for PvP (and PvP only). That's the idea; snipers and gunslingers have been being phased out of competitive PvP since 2.0 if not 1.7, Arenas are just finishing them off.

Juggs and Maras have their overpowered Smash. Powertechs have their Shoulder Cannon that can be used out of stun (nothing else can). Operatives have their super-roll and stealth. If implemented, it will give Snipers their special something that you might consider a Sniper DPS composition for.
My concern is that avoiding guard and all moderate defensive cooldowns would be too powerful, at least for a 2 - 3 minute cooldown as the suggestion states. Such an ability would necessitate a cooldown of at least 3 minutes, probably 4 in my opinion, making it useable only twice per arena match, but that would end up reducing sustained damage and hurting PvE.

Quote: Originally Posted by AngelFluttershy View Post
Suggestion Parameters: While brainstorming ideas for your change to LazeTarget/Smuggler's Luck, please keep the following in mind:
  • The purpose of Laze Target/Smuggler's Luck is to offer extra burst, give an additional push when focusing a target in PvP, and increase a Sniper/Gunslinger's sustained damage in PvE with perfect play.
Before submitting your suggestion, please make sure that it fits the designed purpose of Laze Target. If it does not match the purpose, then it isn't Laze Target.
Adding a new ability like they did with Powertech's Shoulder Cannon would be the better option for making Snipers more attractive as arena teammates in my opinion. I just don't think reworking Lazed Target for that purpose is the way to go.
Server: The Ebon Hawk
Red'october - Gunslinger

Whojoo
08.28.2013 , 01:05 PM | #16
Mentioned this idea in the other thread too, but now with some balancing

Laze Target/Smuggler's Luck Suggestion
  • Cooldown Duration: 2 minutes 30 seconds
  • Buff Up-Time: 10 seconds
  • Ability Description: Makes your next Ambush - Aimed shot usable out of cover and cast instantly.
  • Reasoning and Explanation for the change: The first thought is to add more damage during movement. Second thought to add a bit more on demand burst.
    Both PvP and PvE contain a lot of movement. But some times there's still that one add wandering or there is that one guy with low health. This way you can run around and use Ambush - Aimed shot without having to stop moving.
    It can also help with a burst. If you need to take down that add quickly, use SoS - SS followed by an instant Ambush - Aimed shot to finish the add.
    I can see it help for PvP too in the same way. People will probably think of some strong bursts.

There needs to be one more addition though for balance sake. Recoil Control (Tier 5 in skill tree Marksmanship - Sharpshooter) needs a change. It needs to add the following line.
    In addition a debuff will be activated when Laze Target - Smuggler's Luck is active. This prevents Recoil Control from triggering.
    This will prevent a huge dps increase for Marksmanship - Sharpshooter.

Summery:
    This will give each tree an on the move ability which they can combine for an increase in burst damage. The cooldown is long enough to keep it out of the actual rotation.
    Marksmanship - Sharpshooter can't use it in it's rotation due to the debuff Recoil Control will give. Only option is on the move or to burst down an add.
    Engineering - Saboteur could use it in their rotation. The cooldown however prevents it from adding a lot of dps.
    Lethality - Dirty Fighting and Hybrid Can use it on the run or to finish something off after the second Cull - Wounding Shots.

And a little side reason. It has that animation of improving aim. So I thought why not make it so that your aim improves enough to use Ambush - Aimed Shot out of cover? And since you already started to aim with the animation, let it be instant too :P
But that was just what made me think of this idea :P

So please give your feedback, I can always change it a bit to balance stuff
The Red Eclipse
Republic Enforcers Suddenly Taken Over

AngelFluttershy
08.28.2013 , 03:15 PM | #17
There is only one 's' in Angelfluttershy.
I am everywhere, I judge all, I am Harbin-wait wrong game.
Second suggestion is cringe worthy. Not because it is a bad idea but because it would require a lot of code tweaks to ignore things such as guard. And the more code tweaks the more chance to introduce bugs. First idea is very well thought out.
I'm not sure how exactly these things are coded, so I can't tell if it would be hard or not.
But there is a large number of attacks that ignore protective abilities, primarily seen in PvE, and PvE is also home to a lot of far more esoteric mechanics. If a boss fight effect can be done this way, I suspect a player attack can be too.

Either way, whether it is difficult to code or not, I believe it would be up to the developers to shoot it down - "Sorry, hard to code" - if it is hard to code. As players we should care about what we would like done.
While my knowledge of the code is limited, I can see where Dreselus is coming from here. Guard interacts differently than most abilities in the game so there could be many exceptions it has we're not aware about. However, I don't think it would be unrealistic to implement an ability that could bypass guard, but like B-Dick that's up for the Devs to decide. If something breaks, whatever, something is always bound to break with every patch.

Overload Shot, anyone? There are times where an elite would knock the player out of cover, what then? Overload Shot. I know this can be a handy ability in the Engineering tree with Calculated Pursuit, but it's still nothing more than a bandage. My point is there will always be a lesser option, but at least we have the choice whether or not to use it.
3. As for CJNJ's point: I wouldn't mind having the ability learned at a higher level, or even including Ambush to make it somewhat useful for leveling (opening on an elite with an ambush crit should be helpful, right?)... but I don't think it adds to the overall effectiveness of the ability.
I think adding an Ambush to the effects list would be okay. It's not likely to be picked over SoS at end-game/most PvP circumstances, so it shouldn't have a negative impact on anything. Options are always good.
Yes, it would be a buff for PvP (and PvP only). That's the idea; snipers and gunslingers have been being phased out of competitive PvP since 2.0 if not 1.7, Arenas are just finishing them off.

Juggs and Maras have their overpowered Smash. Powertechs have their Shoulder Cannon that can be used out of stun (nothing else can). Operatives have their super-roll and stealth. If implemented, it will give Snipers their special something that you might consider a Sniper DPS composition for. It's just one shot, you're not going to kill people left and right with it, just occasionally catch an overconfident opponent who let his health get into execute range.
My concern is that avoiding guard and all moderate defensive cooldowns would be too powerful, at least for a 2 - 3 minute cooldown as the suggestion states. Such an ability would necessitate a cooldown of at least 3 minutes, probably 4 in my opinion, making it useable only twice per arena match, but that would end up reducing sustained damage and hurting PvE.

Adding a new ability like they did with Powertech's Shoulder Cannon would be the better option for making Snipers more attractive as arena teammates in my opinion. I just don't think reworking Lazed Target for that purpose is the way to go.
I think by "moderate cooldown" it should only be accuracy reducing effects. This means if the Sniper is using this Laze Target that ignores guard, it won't miss the target unless the target is using a 100% chance cooldown (like Evasion or Force Shroud). Effects that reduce damage period should still effect the lazed shot, so abilities like Energy Shield and Taunts on the Sniper should reduce the damage done by a lazed attack. This would be fair as usually a guarded player in PvP, typically a healer, doesn't have extremely powerful defensive cooldowns to begin with, and the auto-crit ability would now be SoS or Cull typically it would still be a lot more damage than a Snipe. There is still the question of how it would interact with abilities like Defense Probe/Screen and Static Barrier/Force Armor. Personally, I think abilities that absorb incoming damage should still work against this Laze as Defense Screen and Static Barrier are one of few defensive abilities Operatives and Sorcerers have.

I wouldn't expect a new ability for any class until the next expansion which at the earliest won't roll around until mid to late next year, so I'd like Snipers to see a bit more PvP assistance before then.
Quote: Originally Posted by Whojoo View Post
Mentioned this idea in the other thread too, but now with some balancing

Laze Target/Smuggler's Luck Suggestion
  • Cooldown Duration: 2 minutes 30 seconds
  • Buff Up-Time: 10 seconds
  • Ability Description: Makes your next Ambush - Aimed shot usable out of cover and cast instantly.
  • Reasoning and Explanation for the change: The first thought is to add more damage during movement. Second thought to add a bit more on demand burst.
    Both PvP and PvE contain a lot of movement. But some times there's still that one add wandering or there is that one guy with low health. This way you can run around and use Ambush - Aimed shot without having to stop moving.
    It can also help with a burst. If you need to take down that add quickly, use SoS - SS followed by an instant Ambush - Aimed shot to finish the add.
    I can see it help for PvP too in the same way. People will probably think of some strong bursts.

There needs to be one more addition though for balance sake. Recoil Control (Tier 5 in skill tree Marksmanship - Sharpshooter) needs a change. It needs to add the following line.
    In addition a debuff will be activated when Laze Target - Smuggler's Luck is active. This prevents Recoil Control from triggering.
    This will prevent a huge dps increase for Marksmanship - Sharpshooter.

Summery:
    This will give each tree an on the move ability which they can combine for an increase in burst damage. The cooldown is long enough to keep it out of the actual rotation.
    Marksmanship - Sharpshooter can't use it in it's rotation due to the debuff Recoil Control will give. Only option is on the move or to burst down an add.
    Engineering - Saboteur could use it in their rotation. The cooldown however prevents it from adding a lot of dps.
    Lethality - Dirty Fighting and Hybrid Can use it on the run or to finish something off after the second Cull - Wounding Shots.

And a little side reason. It has that animation of improving aim. So I thought why not make it so that your aim improves enough to use Ambush - Aimed Shot out of cover? And since you already started to aim with the animation, let it be instant too :P
But that was just what made me think of this idea :P

So please give your feedback, I can always change it a bit to balance stuff
Sweet idea, and I like that you're taking buff-up time and tree abilities in to consideration when balancing Laze Target. This is definitely the most balanced version of an out-of-cover version I've seen suggested yet.

The only downside to this alteration is it still benefits MM/SS more than the other specs as their Ambush/Aimed Shot will naturally do more damage. However, since your Laze Target will prevent Recoil Control from triggering on the instant Ambush, I think the difference would be marginal. Your suggestion would still be an improvement for all specs as the burst set-ups would be great (e.g. Engi's could do EP > Laze + Ambush > SoS + Cluster Bombs; Lethality could do Cull > Laze + Ambush).

As for the technical side, I think having a debuff/additional effect to the Laze Target to prevent Recoil Control from proccing isn't asking much since it won't interact with other abilities or targets. I'm adding yours to the notables.

Good feedback and suggestions everyone, keep it coming! If I have the time I'll try to submit my own suggestion later.

MasterJacer
08.28.2013 , 03:45 PM | #18
My suggestion was for putting in the specs. And, the reason why i let it do OS for lethality is OS is currently hard to put in lethality rotation. This makes a lot of people more favorable to Hybrid, as OS does more dmg anyway in hybrid with 20% dmg boost. It might be too hard to code new spec stuff until the next expansion, but i'm fine with the change then. If we get BW suggested change before than, it wouldn't be that bad to wait a few more months for a huge change.
Yttrunchach: Sniper - The Ebon Hawk - <Nemesis>

Heal-To-Full
08.28.2013 , 03:54 PM | #19
My concern is that avoiding guard and all moderate defensive cooldowns would be too powerful, at least for a 2 - 3 minute cooldown as the suggestion states.
Well, mostly I'd settle for "cannot be intercepted". That's the big thing - a PvP-only boost with zero effect on PvE.

A new ability is more work and more balancing. Realistically, we aren't going to get any new abilities in 2.4 or probably even 2.5. A tweak to Laze Target is closer to earth.

Quote: Originally Posted by Whojoo View Post
[*] Cooldown Duration: 2 minutes 30 seconds
[*] Ability Description: Makes your next Ambush - Aimed shot usable out of cover and cast instantly.
While quite useful in its own right, I'm not sure if the numbers support a 2:30 cooldown for it.

Instant shot abilities still consume a GCD - so you're talking about doing Ambush in 1.5 seconds instead of 2.5, given zero alacrity. Snipe and Ambush look slow due to the animation, but only cost as much time as 1 or 1.6 default attacks respectively. Since you still spend 15 energy, and since your other CDs are still ticking, and since it doesn't reset the Ambush CD, it's about 0.7 extra cheap attacks you can squeeze in compared to just plain Ambush.

That averages to 1 extra normal attack per 225 seconds. It's about 1400 damage, maybe 2700 if you're Marksmanship and can always spare energy for a Snipe. Either way, it's a DPS gain of 0.4% for Mark or 0.2% for all others.
In comparison, per MM parse above, current LT gives about +2000 damage to Snipe every 60 seconds. That's a DPS gain of 1.1% for Mark or in the 0%-1% range for other specs depending on their use of Snipe.

I could think of this ability as a 60-second cooldown... then it would be +1% for MM - still a 10% decrease in DPS - or about 0.5% for other specs, also about what they have now if they use half of their LT's.
This effect just isn't powerful enough or bursty enough to be worth a long cooldown. As a 60-second one, yeah, useful for PvP.

That is without considering the RC debuff, which would make for a further DPS loss, since you've wasted a trigger of your single highest DPS ability, except for Takedown. With the RC debuff, the average DPS gain for Marksmanship is 0. The ability would be strictly situational, sacrificing DPS for urgency, and not even need a cooldown, since Ambush itself is on a long enough one already.

Now, if it also reset the cooldown on Ambush, we could be talking. In perfect rotation you'd be using it right after Ambush, and since it doesn't proc its own FT, it's mostly one extra Ambush instead of Snipe, or a 3000 damage gain per cooldown, minus the DPS loss from that slightly delayed Ambush CD.
That's about an extra 1000-1200 per minute, so about a 0.6%-0.7% gain. Still 40% less powerful than the current LT for MM. The numbers would support a 1:30 cooldown for it to match LT at +1.1% as it stands today for Marksmanship, but unlike the current LT the new ability would also give +1% to other specs.

The above was generous in assuming you don't use double snipe to proc FT, else it would be a nerf.
While Snipers don't need buffs to sustained DPS, you have to understand that we can't spare a loss of it either. Nightmare Mode bosses still need killing, and the clearance rate at 55 is low even for HMs, for NiM it's literally a few top players. Snipers matter in operations, and with bosses enraging while down to 1% HP and kills barely edged out by rapidly dying remains of the raid, even the slightest nerfs to sustained damage can turn these Pyrrhic victories into wipes.

OK, that's perhaps overly dramatic. But the short version is, however we change Laze Target, sustain can't be sacrificed. I don't want raiding to go back to EV and KP days, but classes overall are in need of a little more DPS, not less, to deal with present and upcoming content.

AngelFluttershy
08.28.2013 , 05:26 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterJacer View Post
My suggestion was for putting in the specs. And, the reason why i let it do OS for lethality is OS is currently hard to put in lethality rotation. This makes a lot of people more favorable to Hybrid, as OS does more dmg anyway in hybrid with 20% dmg boost. It might be too hard to code new spec stuff until the next expansion, but i'm fine with the change then. If we get BW suggested change before than, it wouldn't be that bad to wait a few more months for a huge change.
In PvE. I don't have much of a problem squeezing a OS into my rotation. Granted, I have to sacrifice a SoS opportunity, but it's still a DPS gain over just continuing to use SoS. Still, I'd feel like this would be too substantial of a DPS gain unless it was on a four minute cooldown, which would only let you use it twice per Ops fight. I don't see it necessary in PvP either as you're interruptible in cover and the giant mark on the ground tells people to get out of there anyway. This would benefit PvE far more than PvP in my eyes.

BioWare has done skill tree alterations before expansions so we wouldn't have to wait a long time to see this change (technically speaking).

While quite useful in its own right, I'm not sure if the numbers support a 2:30 cooldown for it.

Instant shot abilities still consume a GCD - so you're talking about doing Ambush in 1.5 seconds instead of 2.5, given zero alacrity. Snipe and Ambush look slow due to the animation, but only cost as much time as 1 or 1.6 default attacks respectively. Since you still spend 15 energy, and since your other CDs are still ticking, and since it doesn't reset the Ambush CD, it's about 0.7 extra cheap attacks you can squeeze in compared to just plain Ambush.

That averages to 1 extra normal attack per 225 seconds. It's about 1400 damage, maybe 2700 if you're Marksmanship and can always spare energy for a Snipe. Either way, it's a DPS gain of 0.4% for Mark or 0.2% for all others.
In comparison, per MM parse above, current LT gives about +2000 damage to Snipe every 60 seconds. That's a DPS gain of 1.1% for Mark or in the 0%-1% range for other specs depending on their use of Snipe.

I could think of this ability as a 60-second cooldown... then it would be +1% for MM - still a 10% decrease in DPS - or about 0.5% for other specs, also about what they have now if they use half of their LT's.
This effect just isn't powerful enough or bursty enough to be worth a long cooldown. As a 60-second one, yeah, useful for PvP.

That is without considering the RC debuff, which would make for a further DPS loss, since you've wasted a trigger of your single highest DPS ability, except for Takedown. With the RC debuff, the average DPS gain for Marksmanship is 0. The ability would be strictly situational, sacrificing DPS for urgency, and not even need a cooldown, since Ambush itself is on a long enough one already.

Now, if it also reset the cooldown on Ambush, we could be talking. In perfect rotation you'd be using it right after Ambush, and since it doesn't proc its own FT, it's mostly one extra Ambush instead of Snipe, or a 3000 damage gain per cooldown, minus the DPS loss from that slightly delayed Ambush CD.
That's about an extra 1000-1200 per minute, so about a 0.6%-0.7% gain. Still 40% less powerful than the current LT for MM. The numbers would support a 1:30 cooldown for it to match LT at +1.1% as it stands today for Marksmanship, but unlike the current LT the new ability would also give +1% to other specs.

The above was generous in assuming you don't use double snipe to proc FT, else it would be a nerf.
While Snipers don't need buffs to sustained DPS, you have to understand that we can't spare a loss of it either. Nightmare Mode bosses still need killing, and the clearance rate at 55 is very low even for HMs, for NiM it's literally a few top players. Snipers matter in operations, and with bosses enraging while down to 1% HP and kills barely edged out by rapidly dying remains of the raid, even the slightest nerfs to sustained damage can turn these Pyrrhic victories into wipes.
You bring up a good point about consuming Ambush's cooldown and RC trigger opportunity. After reading what you put up, I'd say Laze Target finishing the CD on Ambush or not putting Ambush on CD would be a fair addition. Having a new Laze Target benefit MM a bit less and the other specs much more is a fair change.

As for the cooldown being 1:30, your math seems to strongly support that interval in terms of overall DPS, but the extra utility this brings could merit a longer cooldown depending on how strongly it effects PvP play. I think a minute thirty sounds fair, but paper is always different than practice when it comes to PvP. However, any cooldown for this ability longer than two minutes is too long for me.