Back from a LOOONG Break.

Khultar

Hi everyone,

After a long break (2-3 months after launch), i'm back to have fun on SWTOR.

On my days as a Powertech DPS i used to do some nasty damage with Grapple, Flame burst, Upercut and Rail Shot...But the WZs i've played took me forever to kill someone, is it my level ? The Powertech (BH) is half way to 51, still 50 equiped with Battlemaster gear.

Also have a level 50 Sorc and level 39 Operative. Any suggestions ?

Any pvp gear pre war hero bolsters really badly, replace your battlemaster gear with pve gear of your lvl and you will see a big difference.

I'm kind of lost looking at my Storage, im really clueless whats worth keeping and whats not (also gear for companions).

Is there a simple rule to know what should i discard ? anything under Item Rating 140 ? and by PvE Gear you mean my old Rakata set ?

Edited by Khultar

Hi everyone,

On my days as a Powertech DPS i used to do some nasty damage with Grapple, Flame burst, Upercut and Rail Shot...But the WZs i've played took me forever to kill someone, is it my level ? The Powertech (BH) is half way to 51, still 50 equiped with Battlemaster gear.

Welcome back.

It is not a level issue, it a bolster issue. You probably are not aware of this, but now there is a bolster at all brackets of PvP including lvl 55 WZs. All old PvP gear except WH and EWH, that have expertise in them shoudl not be worn in WZs as they screw up with the bolster badly (WH and EWH had the expertise removed except relics). What you will need to do is use planetary commendations (devs combined all comms from plants into one category and called it planetary comms) and go to the Makeb vendor in the supplies part of the fleet and buy level 58 gear. If you do not have enough planetary comms, you can buy below level 50 gear from GTN. Make sure also to take out expertise crystals.

Hopefully that was helpful.

I'm kind of lost looking at my Storage, im really clueless whats worth keeping and whats not (also gear for companions).

Is there a simple rule to know what should i discard ? anything under Item Rating 140 ? and by PvE Gear you mean my old Rakata set ?

If it has expertise on it, and it's not partisan, conquerer, or obroan, it will make your stats significantly worse in warzones. Everything else 66 and under will bolster well. Just stay away from any expertise until you hit 55 and start buying conquerer. If you don't have PVE gear hit the GTN and buy levelling greens. Bolster will take care of you.

Edited by LaVall

Welcome back.

It is not a level issue, it a bolster issue. You probably are not aware of this, but now there is a bolster at all brackets of PvP including lvl 55 WZs. All old PvP gear except WH and EWH, that have expertise in them shoudl not be worn in WZs as they screw up with the bolster badly (WH and EWH had the expertise removed except relics). What you will need to do is use planetary commendations (devs combined all comms from plants into one category and called it planetary comms) and go to the Makeb vendor in the supplies part of the fleet and buy level 58 gear. If you do not have enough planetary comms, you can buy below level 50 gear from GTN. Make sure also to take out expertise crystals.

Thank you, I have so many different Tokens, Commendations etc etc that i was clueless. Will log on soon and list here to know what to do with each currency.

Ok, here is the list of Currencies/Commendations i have:

Classic: 83/1000

Basic: 12/1000

Fleet: 364/10000

Ranked Warzone 2240/400

Warzone 2750/2750

Planetary 200/100 (??)

So, any tips on what shoudl i do with them ?

Also 700k Credits and 1200 Cartel

Spent the Planetary at the Makeb vendor for 58 grade mods and the like.

Then convert Warzone comm to planetary and buy more mods ? can't buy level 55 PvP items beeing 50, the merchant does not allows you to buy

edit: only found lvl 50 25 MODS in makeb, can you help me out ?

EDIT2: Just realized, as I mentioned before i have full Rakata, means mod lvl 58 by default right ?

Edited by Khultar
Adding info

EDIT2: Just realized, as I mentioned before i have full Rakata, means mod lvl 58 by default right ?

Correct, which is why I wouldn't recommend converting WZ comms to planetary ones. Convert them to ranked for when you hit 55. The classic tokens can purchase level 50 gear which bolsters quite well and has set bonuses, but you will be 55 in no time so you may just want to wait and buy Conqueror gear.

edit - the sets you can buy with classic tokens are the same as rakata, just with higher level mods.

Edited by Draekos

Welcome back.

now that you recap that it is clear bolster is still a bad bad thing. Why should a new or returning player have to deal with that mess?

It is and it isn't. I mean its great for a new player, the main people it effects is guys that only did pvp back in the days of champion/battlemaster but i think back then alot more people did a bit of pve as well so a lot of guys still do have some rakata lying around at least. All they have to do is read up on the changes and bolster... then they can change into there old pve gear.

I think back at the start the people that only did pvp where a bit more of a minority. You have to remember it was only regular wzs (and only 3 wz types!) back when bm was top tier gear so people would have been more inclined to do a bit of pve especially since a few pieces of rakata (weapons especially, pvp used to be unmoddable so loads got pve weapons) mixed into your gear to boost stats was thought to be better then full pvp before 1.2 hit since expertise wasn't as strong back then. Anyone who exclusively did pvp after that point will most likely have full wh.]

Quite funny to think about really in 1.1 you had to do pve to get the best pvp gear in certain slots.

Edited by AngusFTW

now that you recap that it is clear bolster is still a bad bad thing. Why should a new or returning player have to deal with that mess?

Without bolster the returning player would absolutely rape players leveling form 30-55, and without the bolster that same player would get pounded by geared 55's. If they were to remove the bolster at 55 they would have to introduce some purchasable gear sets so new 55's could compete (or alter the existing PvP sets so they confer less of an advantage.

And I disagree that this is the wrong time to come back. In 1.2 for instance it was a far worse grind. Took much longer to get WH gear than it currently takes to get Obroan, and base gear entering level capped warzones was weaker.

Edited by Vodrin

Hi everyone,

Since you played the FOTM before you will fii right into the PT Tank FOTM that is around now.

Ranked Warzone 2240/400

Warzone 2750/2750

Planetary 200/100 (??)

So, any tips on what should i do with them ?

As another poster mentioned, you can buy lvl 61 gear from classic vendors for classic comms. I do not think you have enough though, as the cheapest piece costs 100 comms if I remember correctly. If you want, you can get them by doing dailies in black hole, Illum, Belsavis (the lvl 50 daily area), section X and lvl 50 HM FPs. You have 200 planetary, because BW wanted to give people as much planetary at the conversion process from 1.7 to 2.0, so they converted all comms below black hole to planetary at 1:1 ratio, and allowed them to a cap of 200, even through the actual cap is 100.

You can't buy PvP gear until you are lvl 55. I would recommend that you convert your WZ comms into ranked comms, assuming you will PvP a lot between 50 and 55. I would save the credits as you will need them to buy augmentation kits MK-9 and lvl 28 reflex augments. Actually, you will need a lot more than 700K, but you could make between 500K and 1,000K credits, between 50 and 55, depending on how much dailies/Makeb story you run.

Welcome back.

no don't do that. the 140 purples bolster pretty badly in terms of pure starts (expertise is fine). You will be better off with lower level blues (cheaper too). I had better stats on my level 104 blues than I did on my 140 purples (was very surprised).

the best bolstered stats would probably be achieved with 148 blues (especially the implant and earpiece which are almost as good as obroan), which you can wear at level 53 and buy cheap off GTN. If you have some classic comms buy some 61 armor from the classic vendor and stick in the 61 armoring to receive the special ability.

Welcome back.

Ranked Warzone 2240/400

Warzone 2750/2750

Planetary 200/100 (??)

So, any tips on what shoudl i do with them ?

Get some low level blues, they bolster very nicely. When I was on my shadow I found that the tank gear bolstered better than the dps gear for my dps spec (and gave me 33k hp as well). The low level blues are better than the 140 purples. I found level 104 blues work great and they are very cheap, you definitely have enough planetary comms.

get the matrix cube relic, it is BiS in the lowbies.

Augment as much as you can, starting with blue augments (since purple is very expensive), but you can wait until 55 for that.

no don't do that. the 140 purples bolster pretty badly in terms of pure starts (expertise is fine). You will be better off with lower level blues (cheaper too). I had better stats on my level 104 blues than I did on my 140 purples (was very surprised).

the best bolstered stats would probably be achieved with 148 blues (especially the implant and earpiece which are almost as good as obroan), which you can wear at level 53 and buy cheap off GTN. If you have some classic comms buy some 61 armor from the classic vendor and stick in the 61 armoring to receive the special ability.

Welcome back.

lvl 58 gear provide more damage and less HP than gear below it. It is always recommended when you turn lvl 50. Not to mention that you will struggle if you try to run lvl 50+ PvE content in any gear below that. Lvl 61, 63 and sometimes 66 provide better stats, but there is no reason to go into bolster gimmicks, especially that the OP is lvl 50, he/she has 86 classic comms and 12 basic gear.

Keep it simple!

Edited by Ottoattack

I'm in the same boat as this guy...but which NPC are you guys talking about? I literally have no clue which gear you're telling us to buy.

I'm level 42 in assorted BM/War Hero gear and I noticed I die pretty damn quickly due to bolster I assume.

Can you guys tell me exactly which NPC I should buy from in order to replace all my +expertise gear? I'm a marauder.

All this Bolster thing was a pain. But my Powertech was already in Rakatta, he was fine.

The Sorcerer i used the Pilot gear i got from being a sub in galatic starfighter and bought loads of 58 Mods from maked vendor. guess im good to level up