why is switching from clicking to keybinding so hard ...

AlCorazon

Guys see the video above, this is a Mara at lvl 65, I however like his interface. How did he fit everything in such a compact manner? I mean i am at lvl 20 right now on my mara, but it seems the dude has everything he needs at 65 there. And it looks so tidy. I can see that he resized his quick-bars, if i resize my quick-bars, will they be still called quick-bar 1 or quick-bar 2 but they will just have less slots? What do you think of this setup?

And i can't seem to get force scream activated like he did in beginning, or does it come on later levels?

Yep, they're still called quick bar 1, 2, etc. Looks like he changed the orientation for bar one and two to vertical, three rows, four slots per row.

He probably did this because the most popular gaming mouse is the naga, he's using one, and that's how the buttons are arranged.

If you click on my youtube link in my sig, you'll see my ui. I did it that way because everything is essentially four buttons. the grouping they are in determins the modifier. Group one is f1-f8, group two is shift+f1-f8, etc. A little bit of visual queues is nice when learning.

Like we've bee saying, it's all about your comfort, and ease of use. Then muscle memory.

Edited by BowtieJones

Yep, they're still called quick bar 1, 2, etc. Looks like he changed the orientation for bar one and two to vertical, three rows, four slots per row.

He probably did this because the most popular gaming mouse is the naga, he's using one, and that's how the buttons are arranged.

If you click on my youtube link in my sig, you'll see my ui. I did it that way because everything is essentially four buttons. the grouping they are in determins the modifier. Group one is f1-f8, group two is shift+f1-f8, etc. A little bit of visual queues is nice when learning.

Like we've bee saying, it's all about your comfort, and ease of use. Then muscle memory.

I did watch the videos. On my day off, I will get a pen and paper and write down some combinations... and will try it first on my sniper, then on a Sin the bind oper and mara after.

I'm glad this came up and all the advice people are throwing out. I always do pretty good in PVP but do the click method and never tried keybinds because I was scared of the transition and sucking.

It's really not all that bad. You won't perform at full capacity for a few matches, but once you get the muscle memory down it's done.

Think of it like learning to text on a new keyboard layout on a new phone. Kinda odd at first, but after a couple days you're back up to speed.

Think of it like learning to text on a new keyboard layout on a new phone. Kinda odd at first, but after a couple days you're back up to speed.

Unless you've made the bone - headed choice to switch to the 8pen phone keyboard, like I did for a year. What a waste of time. 8pen Video

Edited by BowtieJones

Unless you've made the bone - headed choice to switch to the 8pen phone keyboard, like I did for a year. What a waste of time. 8pen Video

Not to hijack the thread, but I've watched that video twice and I don't get how you choose yout letter.. Please explain - I gotta know!

Not to hijack the thread, but I've watched that video twice and I don't get how you choose yout letter.. Please explain - I gotta know!

It's all about the center. You leave the center and enter a quadrant. This determines a set list of letters. You then start circling around clock/counter clock wise. as you circle around, you enter new quadrants, and that determines a different letter. Once you're in the correct quadrant for the letter you want, you return to the center. You have now selected a single letter. It's supposed to feel like you're hand writing.

Remember to keep your finger or thumb connected to the screen at all times, or you'll have to start over again to get your letters. Careful not to move the phone too much while typing, or it will think you're jiggling it to activate the keyboard's built in ball game, where a random silver ball starts rolling around in the screen.

I hated it, but I'm stubborn. And I'm an idiot. I used that keyboard for a year.

Keybinding is MUCH easier, faster, and better than that nonsense.

It's all about the center. You leave the center and enter a quadrant. This determines a set list of letters. You then start circling around clock/counter clock wise. as you circle around, you enter new quadrants, and that determines a different letter. Once you're in the correct quadrant for the letter you want, you return to the center. You have now selected a single letter. It's supposed to feel like you're hand writing.

Remember to keep your finger or thumb connected to the screen at all times, or you'll have to start over again to get your letters. Careful not to move the phone too much while typing, or it will think you're jiggling it to activate the keyboard's built in ball game, where a random silver ball starts rolling around in the screen.

I hated it, but I'm stubborn. And I'm an idiot. I used that keyboard for a year.

Keybinding is MUCH easier, faster, and better than that nonsense.

Wow. Is the app still available? I think I might try it out, if only to see first hand what it feels like...

Well I am trying this still, with limited game time after work it won't be quick.

It would be nice if SWTOR recognized NUM pad numbers...could have bound the defenses there and a lot of other different stuff.

Well I am trying this still, with limited game time after work it won't be quick.

It would be nice if SWTOR recognized NUM pad numbers...could have bound the defenses there and a lot of other different stuff.

It does! However, you're not going to be able to have both 1 -- = on your keyboard AND numpad 1 -- + all bound to your mouse at the same time. It's either or. For my naga, I have it set to use the numpad keys. Some mice have buttons that you can bind to switch profiles, although I wouldn't really recommend having to swap between using keyboard and numpad, try to focus on one. If the program that your mouse uses failed and doesn't swap the profile when you need it, then you're SOL.

So, I use 1-5 on my keyboard for attack abilities that are important but not used super frequently, and I'm still able to use numpad 1-5 on my mouse.

Edited by QuiveringPotato

• 4 weeks later...
It's really not all that bad. You won't perform at full capacity for a few matches, but once you get the muscle memory down it's done.

Just wanna say I started the keybinding after reading this and I have to say, it makes things soooo much easier. It's still not all muscle memory so I still utilize clicking when necessary but the need is dropping and I'm right back where I left off. I'm not sure how much better I am but I feel less stressed trying to locate things with my mouse, so there's that. I advise all to switch to this because it's much easier.

Best advice you're going to get from someone who feels your pain. Most these players/ commenters have little sense of empathy my friend. They are MMO pc gaming veterans who long ago became accustomed to gaming, multiple abilities with a keyboard. I have a thread where I explain I came from gaming console and arcades. Button combination, synchronized patterns. Hand placement, posture, impacts aesthetics. Truthfully it will take a while to adjust. You started clicking because it came easiest and you wanted to get into the game and really experience what you paid for unimpeded by distractions like habitually looking down at the key your about to press. Told yourself you'll learn it later and inadvertently handicapped yourself.

So solution. DON'T LISTEN TO THE ADVICE OF OTHERS!!!! THEY DONT GET IT.

1) START A NEW TOON TO LEVEL ( LVD EVENT IS GOING SO EXTRA INCENTIVE)

2) BUCKLE DOWN AND REMAIN DISCIPLINED. MAKE AN HONEST EFFORT TO ONLY USE THE KEY BOARD FOR ALL ABILITES. I MEAN ALL. EVEN THINGS LIKE PULLING UP THE MAP. DONT CLICK THE SCREEN FOR ANYTHING.

3) DO NOT USE KEYS PAST THE 7 ( WASTE OF TIME ) COUNTER PRODUCTIVE. DEFEATS THE PURPOSE BECAUSE TO REACH THEM TAKES AS LONG AS IT WOULD TO CLICK THE SCREEN.

TIP: THE FUNCTION KEYS ARE GOOD FOR ABILITIES SELDOM USED.

4) SET UP KEYS CLOSE TO EACH OTHER ( IF NOT SIDE BY SIDE) THAT IMPACT ONE ANOTHER. LIKE AN ABILITY THAT INCREASES THE CRIT CHANCE OF ANOTHER ABILITY SHOULD NEXT TO THAT ABILITY IT INCREASES ( UNTIL YOU GET THE HANG OF IT) CHANGE IT LATER IF YOU WANT

5) THIS IS THE ONE THAT TAKES DEDICATION BUT IS THE MOST BENEFICIAL. REMOVE THE UNBOUND KEYS AROUND BOUND KEYS. YES I MEAN LITERALLY PLUCK THE 8 KEY FROM ITS SPOT LEAVING AN EMPTY SPACE ON YOUR KEY BOARD. THIS WILL HELP YOU TO NOT LOOK DOWN AND REVERT TO YOUR SENSE OF TOUCH.

Example: I know the number 8 key and on is not being used. Meaning it is the end of the line for abilities. Instantly you know where your fingers are on the keyboard and can respond accordingly. So if it was the 6 key you were seeking you know to move your finger back to spots withouth having to take your eyes off the screen.

6) MOST IMPORTANT: DONT GIVE UP. USE THE LEVELING TIME AS AN OPPURTUNITY TO LEARN. ONLY DO WZ FOR MISSIONS BECAUSE YOUR INEFFECTIVENESS WILL LEAD TO ADDITIONAL FRUSTRATION YOU DONT NEED.

yw

Edited by Fiqh