Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GSF Needs An Overhaul

merovejec
05.09.2017 , 06:44 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
You do realise that GSF is a just bad copy of that system with none of the benefits. Do a YouTube search for it and pvp and you will see the similarities. Xwing vs Tie Fighter is still so far ahead of GSF in functionality and features and it's nearly 20 years old.
She does have a point.

You basically have the same stuff (swaping F1, F2, F3 for lasers, shields, engine), targeting, torpedos etc, its more or less the same thing. On the other hand, how can you improve such a simulator?
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 68890

stoopicus
05.09.2017 , 06:49 AM | #22
I like GSF exactly like it is. It is very challenging but very fun. I'm still quite bad at it but improving and each kill is an accomplishment. This is how PvP should be. Calls to dumb it down are misguided at best.

What it needs instead is a MUCH better tutorial and the equivalent of lowbies where new players in bad ships can fight.

stoopicus
05.09.2017 , 06:53 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
She does have a point.

You basically have the same stuff (swaping F1, F2, F3 for lasers, shields, engine), targeting, torpedos etc, its more or less the same thing. On the other hand, how can you improve such a simulator?
She sort of has a point, but I think is overly harsh on GSF. I loved XvT, but really if you're honest the only two things XvT had over GSF are depth of missions (both story and variety) and much better control options. Gameplay-wise, for the combat, GSF is actually more fluid than XvT was, and faster paced.

But the deeper mission objectives and the link between the missions was cool. Cap ships too.

GSF is actually quite good.

saberscreen
05.09.2017 , 07:07 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
It also failed the pve community who were asking for a free flight experience to do pve content and not some silly space thing on rails that is already in the game.
Not saying GSF is a bad thing eventhough I agree with you that certain X-wing games from the past were better, but I quoted this because Bioware really needs to start listening to what their loyal player base wants instead of trying to appeal to the wrong crowd. SWTOR will never be able to compete with the latest fully-fledged action games, because of its engine. I can see EA is behind these strategies, because those strategies work in the console industry. They need to let Bioware do its own thing because PC gamers are a different kind of audience.

arunav
05.09.2017 , 07:10 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post

You can fully upgrade a ship in a couple of weeks if you play frequently. - Compare that to getting full BiS in ground PvP, and you'll see it's a piece of cake in comparison.
I'm wondering which server has an active enough community in NA that you get enough matches to FULLY UPGRADE a ship in 2 weeks?

The end-tier upgrades for important components cost 10-15k requisition each, and there are multiple ones (4-6 of those alone, depending on the ship). You need to spend around 8k to get to that point for each type of upgrade.

Then there are the less expensive but still important component type upgrades.

All in all, it takes many matches to get that much requisition - so - what server?

If it's Harbinger, is there any other server you can do this on? If not, there's a serious problem with your post. We're supposed to transfer our characters in order to play GSF? Why not bump up requisition gain per match if you're a subscriber? Increase the daily and weekly awards?

I play on a "populated" NA server, and it takes about a 1-2 months of playing most days to master a ship's components, waiting for matches in the evenings. Some days, you might be lucky to get 3-4 matches in an entire night, especially on weeks where it's not much of a benefit for conquest. Does that sound broken to you? It certainly does to me.

That's per ship, and there's 12 on each faction (mirrored).
"In the end, cowards are those that follow the dark side."

Free Inventory Slot, Character Transfer, and Subscription Time:
http://www.swtor.com/r/YpmgMVhttp://

stoopicus
05.09.2017 , 07:15 AM | #26
Harby pops rarely, like I said, 1-2 per hour in APAC hours, maybe double that US if you're lucky?

You can also rule out upgrading Strike Fighters

In fact you only really need to upgrade one scout (Sting/FF), one GS (Mangler/I Forget), and one bomber, at least at a time. Though I am doing two bombers now because I like them both. But the Mangler and the Sting are pretty much the go to choices, right?

stoopicus
05.09.2017 , 07:19 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by eli_porter View Post
Ooh I WANT that.

Sportiva
05.09.2017 , 07:52 AM | #28
For the most part, I really like GSF. The combat is fun and challenging. My only complaint is that it needs more variety in match styles ... Death Matches & Node Camping getting boring after awhile. I would love to see them add a match similar to ground PvP's Voidstar. Basically, you would have two phases 1) where your squad is defending capital ships and 2) where your squad is attacking capital ships.
Master Jaice Jenod Guardian | Velo Jenx Gunslinger | Master Gira Jenx Sage | Major Jaxen Jenod Vanguard
Saena Jenod Mercenary | Dulymus Jenod Operative | Darth Scoura Assassin | Darth Zetara Marauder

DownloadStarter
05.09.2017 , 08:07 AM | #29
I came back here from EvE Online primarily to re-engage in GSF. I prefer it to EvE combat, which I find nonsensical and deeply sluggish by comparison.

I have played far, far too many space fighters over the years - Descent, Freelancer, Elite Dangerous, every entry in the X and Evochron series - and overall, this is the most fun I've had with a space shooter. No, it's not realistic like Evochron. No, I don't have infinite space to run; no, I don't have a crazy assortment of lots of weapons; no, there's no real storyline or purpose or point beyond doing what the fleet admiral tells you to do, and having one hell of a time doing it.

And maybe that's the appeal. For me, anyway. I don't have to constantly tinker with stuff, there's no steady stream of new ships (each more powerful than the last, of course - gotta buy 'em all!)... it's like a simple loaf of really, really well-baked homemade bread.

Sure, it looks simple. But damn, is it TASTY. And filling!

But I wouldn't argue with a few new maps. Or even just chopping Denon in half and giving us that for a 3rd TDM. That'd be my only complaint - just a little change of scenery. Mechanics are fine, in my view (I've been playing off and on since pre-release waaaaaaaaaaaay back in Dec. 2013, if that matters - about 4k or so missions, mostly strike fighters, etc. etc.).

A bit of regular eye candy, some more paint jobs (especially for Cartel ships - you already know I'm willing to shell out for it; put the screws to me and make me want a sick paint job or five for it!)... cosmetic stuff. Gimme that and I am GTG.

Not a bad bit of work, GSF team. Be proud.

HuaRya
05.09.2017 , 09:00 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by DownloadStarter View Post

Not a bad bit of work, GSF team. Be proud.
Agreed. While PVP hybrid classes were borked and leveling planets were made into easy trash mode fighting it would be nice to have at least one part of this game require some kind of accumulated skill to attain. Tampering with the mechanics in hopes some millenial type player can have their instant gratification of 1 v 1'ing a veteran pilot in rage respawn revenge would certainly ruin this niche game mode that has eeked away an almost invisible existence since inception.

GSF needs a few more maps (KOTH mode) and maybe a rep vendor if it were to get some Dev love. An Odessen fighter bay stronghold to display our ships perhaps?
I grok in fullness.
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land